Tama Swingstar Question

I am interested in the tung oil treatment to the inside of the shells. My set has 9 ply maple shells. Would I gain anything from applying tung oil to the inside (other than protecting the wood)? Is there any draw backs?

I am interested in the tung oil treatment to the inside of the shells. My set has 9 ply maple shells. Would I gain anything from applying tung oil to the inside (other than protecting the wood)? Is there any draw backs?

With real hard maple, tung oil would have as effect as only protect the wood against humidity. I dont think you would notice any change in the sound. But IMO, my kit protection is a priority.

I just began restoring an old set of Swingstars, which I stopped using in 2001. I was most recently performing with a mid-1990s Premier APK kit, which sounded fine, but I forgot how great these Swingstars sounded!

Now that I'm older and realize they can (and should) really sing. Back in high school I was playing 10" and 14" toms with Evans Hydraulics, trying to get a tight, fat sound for punk and ska. Now I'm using a 1982 8x12 rack tom, mounted on a snare stand, and a 1984 16x16 floor tom with a 1982 14x22 kick. Took off the mount and playing it virgin. Playing a gig without mics Friday night, I thought the toms really shined through where my Premiers wouldn't have. Of course, the XPKs had really thin shells.

I think the Zola-Coat is pretty brilliant. These shells have been sitting in a basement for the last decade, and they're in great shape. I could be wrong, but I get the impression that the quality of the wood they used back then is much better than that of lower end kits today. I kind of hate that Tama brought back Swingstar as their bottom-of-the-line kit when, IMHO, the early 1980s Swingstars rival any middle-of-the-road kit out there, with a vintage look and sound to boot!

Had an early to mid 80's Swingstar set (parents gift choice was new drums or moped, i got the drums :) ) and they did indeed sound surprisingly good. In fact there are times i miss their sound. The lugs were the same as on their better sets and then then (198?) Octobahns. Rims were very durable as i recall and hardware was lower line yet very usable. i used Evans G2-like heads (back then they were Evans black color two ply, no oil). They really sounded impressive and 'sang' nicely. Inside the shell you saw a greyish 'coating' per se, not wood.

Last edited:
I just began restoring an old set of Swingstars, which I stopped using in 2001. I was most recently performing with a mid-1990s Premier APK kit, which sounded fine, but I forgot how great these Swingstars sounded!

Now that I'm older and realize they can (and should) really sing. Back in high school I was playing 10" and 14" toms with Evans Hydraulics, trying to get a tight, fat sound for punk and ska. Now I'm using a 1982 8x12 rack tom, mounted on a snare stand, and a 1984 16x16 floor tom with a 1982 14x22 kick. Took off the mount and playing it virgin. Playing a gig without mics Friday night, I thought the toms really shined through where my Premiers wouldn't have. Of course, the XPKs had really thin shells.

I think the Zola-Coat is pretty brilliant. These shells have been sitting in a basement for the last decade, and they're in great shape. I could be wrong, but I get the impression that the quality of the wood they used back then is much better than that of lower end kits today. I kind of hate that Tama brought back Swingstar as their bottom-of-the-line kit when, IMHO, the early 1980s Swingstars rival any middle-of-the-road kit out there, with a vintage look and sound to boot!

You're right ! These drums were quality drums compared to todays entry or even mid level set.

hey Mind_drummer,

I was wondering in your post whether or not the 80s Tama bass drums are good are not cause I happen to just got one. (traded a crappy guitar for it lol)

And indeed, it does have that coating you mention that looks like marble-ish.

Would you be able to give me more information on it? Mine it's written "Made in Japan" so I assume it's a 80s one.

Thanks!
+the made in Japan Swingstars are more sought-after than the later "made in Taiwan" version and that stuff on the inside was called "zola coat" (which I never cared for myself.) I stripped that coating off of the inside of the shell and the drums sounded better without it. Tip: just wipe the inside of the shell with tung oil; it protects the wood without altering the sound

Back