PSA - Lubricate your P85.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I just lubricated the P85 on my three snares (BB, Acro, Accent). I used 3-in-1. They all work absofuckinlutely spectacular now. I was pleasantly surprised.

Just so I know better next time... Should I be a silicon or petroleum based lubricant? Grease or liquid?

Exactly where did you lube them? I dob't want to shoot WD40 all over it and my snare drum, ya know?

I prefer to use silicone based lubricants on my drum hardware.
I understand what you mean. I bought a used BB snare with a P85 last year and the throw stuck consistently until I lubed it. It hasn't had an issue since. A little lube goes a long way.

Exactly where did you lube them? I dob't want to shoot WD40 all over it and my snare drum, ya know?

The three hinges on the inside, the inner-slide channel, the outer slide channels.

Xqs7enI.jpg

While WD-40 does lubricate to a degree, it is not intended as a hinge lubricant. While the expression "WD40 is not a lubricant" may be incorrect, I believe the spirit applies here. That explains my choice of 3-in-1. I may try silicon next time they begin to stick.

The biggest issue with the p-85 is not with the throw off, but inadequate lubing. They work just great if you take care of them.

I lubed up the P-85 on my Blackcro recently and it made a nice difference. I actually used a small amount of blade oil made for hair clippers.

WD40 is not a lubricant, it's a solvent. It might lubricate something for a short while, but once it dries out you risk it getting even worse because it dissolves whatever lube was there to begin with. It can get crud and dirt off your snare mechanism, but once that job is done you'll need to use some actual lubrication.

edit: More info - http://lifehacker.com/5891936/when-should-i-not-use-wd-40

WD40 is not a lubricant, it's a solvent. It might lubricate something for a short while, but once it dries out you risk it getting even worse because it dissolves whatever lube was there to begin with.

edit: More info - http://lifehacker.com/5891936/when-should-i-not-use-wd-40

Sorry, but this is plain flat out wrong.

WD40 is a mix of a volatile solvent and a low viscosity oil.

This is not to say that WD40 is a great lubricant, it has its limitations, but it is a lubricant.

I once heard a naval explanation for choices of lubricants for metals.

If it moves slowly, use grease.

If it moves fast, use oil.

If it's shiny and doesn't do anything particularly useful, salute it.

This is not to say that WD40 is a great lubricant, it has its limitations, but it is a lubricant.

I guess I should have prefaced my post by saying I'm not an expert, but I've seen so many warnings about using WD40 as a lubricant that I felt I at least needed to make a comment about it not being an ideal choice for a snare mechanism.

I just picked up another Acrolite to back up my first one. The throwoff was very sticky, I had to move it sideways before it would move up and down.
I thought I had one of the "bad" p-85's.
I used Elmer's Slide-All, which is a dry film lubricant that I keep around the house.
The throwoff works flawlessly now.
Slide-all works well on tubes that slide and telescope on stands and such.
Once the solvent evaporates, it leaves a dry film that does not attract dirt.

The biggest issue with the p-85 is not with the throw off, but inadequate lubing. They work just great if you take care of them.
The biggest issue with the P85 is the quality of construction is so poor it almost defies belief. It's only redeeming features IMO are it's compact & light (& they're pretty important features - granted).

As for lube of anything drum hardware related, if you can take it apart, use a dry lube. MolyD is great, ETFE based stuff even better, but more expensive. A dry lube doesn't attract dirt that encourages wear & just generally looks poor.

While I agree that it is technically incorrect, it is right in spirit. I'd never use WD to lubricate a moving part unless I had done so by virtue of cleaning it. I had also assumed WD used a silicon lubricant and the petroleum was there as an evaporate. I'm gonna go find a can and see.

"WD40 is not a lubricant" is more of an imperative statement than a statement of fact. The english language really doesn't make the distinction easy though.

Love the navy quote BTW.

@ron s - What's in the Elmers stuff, is it molybdenum disulfide (the stuff I use on the chute of my snow blower)?

The only light I can shed on WD 40 is what the WD and the 40 stands for.

Water Displacement, 40th attempt.

It was originally intended as a water displacement spray.
I can't speak intelligently if, by virtue of water displacement, lubrication is provided.
I would assume slight lubrication, because to displace water, you need some kind of oil. Plus James said that it contains a low viscosity oil.

Guys, this thread has Saturn'd into a silly argument over WD40. Everyone knows that you use it to add lift to your hair and clean bike chains.

Anyway, back on topic here...

I have noticed my P83 sliding a bit slower, I have honestly not thought of lubricating it. I figure a drop of 3-in-1 on the smaller moving parts should help. What I'm wondering about is if I should lube the parts that slide over each other in the operation of the strainer's duties.

This part: p83.jpg

Grease? Oil? Should I just oil the pivot points and leave this part? Please advise.

I was using "WD40" kind of like how you say Kleenex for tissue. Like typing fast and thinking slow.

I guess the moral of the story is for the OP's of any post to include all the pertinent information so a thread doesn't take a left turn and head off somewhere weird.

...Blade oil for hair clippers - Good idea.

It's not WD40, is it?

Wheel bearings in cars, motorcycles and so on, use grease. They move fast.

The problem with grease for throw offs is that it's messy, and not so easy to apply on very small spaces.

I use spray lube - usually silicon. That can be a bit messy too, if you're not careful and get overspray.

Guys, this thread has Saturn'd into a silly argument over WD40. Everyone knows that you use it to add lift to your hair and clean bike chains.

Anyway, back on topic here...

I have noticed my P83 sliding a bit slower, I have honestly not thought of lubricating it. I figure a drop of 3-in-1 on the smaller moving parts should help. What I'm wondering about is if I should lube the parts that slide over each other in the operation of the strainer's duties.

This part: View attachment 65446

Grease? Oil? Should I just oil the pivot points and leave this part? Please advise.

IDK, I think a discussion on WD40 is pertinent. The thread is about lubricant. I would just use some 3 in 1 oil at the rojo arrow. Metal sliding against metal. I'd also lube the threads and the pivot for the throw-off, plus the area around the pivot, because that is metal sliding against metal too. You could just submerge it in a cup of oil to be real sure lol.

Back