Drum restoration

Kent

i am presently restoring a 70's Ludwig drum kit with the black panther finish , it has 3 ply shell etc. I can't seem to find much information on this kit. Can anyone give me historical information,, are they fairly rare and is there any value on them etc. any information would be much appreciated. thanks Kent

Most of those kits got de-wrapped, as, over the years, that "panther skin" just doesn't hold up so well. Restoration will make them look pretty, but not necessarily increase their value any. Collectors want factory original mint/near mint drums. You'll have to give up more info. about the drums. Rare sizes, perhaps? The standard 22, 12, 13, 16 kit, pretty ho-hum. Start talking 26, 15, 18 ..... with a virgin kick, now you're getting into "rare" territory.

Hi , thanks for the reply, the panther finish is original near mint , original hardware on shells excellent , original tom mount and spurs excellent, but no original stands , or kick and the snare I got with the set is a Tama. Not worth much Eh! ... Kent

Apparently the shape of the "Ludwig" badge on the drums can tell you a little bit about the age of the drum. I'm no Ludwig expert but maybe someone else here can tell you a little more.

The set is between 1970 to 1975 I believe , it has the pointed blue and olive badges. It is a standard Ludwig kit 22, 13 ,12 & 16 . Interested in knowing the orginal price of these drums back in the 70's, cant seem to find any documentation on them, any information would be interesting .. thanks Kent

Hi , thanks for the reply, the panther finish is original near mint , original hardware on shells excellent , original tom mount and spurs excellent, but no original stands , or kick and the snare I got with the set is a Tama. Not worth much Eh! ... Kent

Those drums probably sold for somewhere in the neighborhood of $500, when they were new. Cheap Japanese kits were in the $150-200 range. But you have to remember, you could buy a brand new car for $1200, back then. So, paying $400-500 for a drum set was a lot of money, back then. Right now, hardly anything seems to be selling on eBay. Your wording about the kick drum is a little confusing. Does the kick not match the rest of the set?

Thanks for the reply, all the hardware ,stands kick etc.are Tama. I am basically restoring these for my studio, I havent played them yet, I use a Tama Set, Interesting to here how these sound over microphones, The reason I'm interested in value is ,do I replace the hardware with vintage ones, pretty expensive on ebay. mostly interested in the sound of the shells. Got a lot of good vintage Ziligin cymbols whith the set.. bonus .. thanks Kent

Back