Great gig but where is everyone?

braincramp

Gold Member
Our band put on one of best shows last night we have done in awhile, the only problem is not many heard it. Bad weather, slick roads and NFL playoffs were the reason I'm sure but we had maybe 20% of our large following present with maybe 25% of the bars regulars. We are used to playing to a packed house at this peticular club. The owner understood and still really likes us, he has told us in the past "your the one band I dont have to be concerned with, I know you'll aways have this place full with a very thirsty crowd. We are signed through the year once a month with a nice bump in pay. Has this ever happened to you? Play one of your best gigs to a smaller then expected crowd.. This may of even been why, we were more relaxed then usual and it was a more personal show for those that braved the elements and came out to see us.

This is a weird time of year. It happens. As you said - the weather, the playoffs.
The other thing is: sometimes people slow down with going out right after the holidays.
They're all partied out. They'll come back.

The first couple of weeks after new years I generally don't want to even hear the word alcohol, one of my favourite activities at gigs.

Quite a disheartening experience. I can't say I've ever played a great set in front of a dead venue, but I have played in a dead venue that's normally been pretty full. It was eerie.

I think half the world is kinda down in January. I know I go through it.

At this point in the year, I really look forward to March. That's the beginning of the great part of the year.

I once played a great gig with more people in the band than there was in the audience. And we were a quartet! :s

Deepest apologies, dude.... I think they were all at *my* gig...

Sorry to hear that, but as the guys said, it's that time of year & other influences.

We played one of our favourite events last year that sort of worked out in a similar way, but that was due to scheduling screw ups. We were advertised as the last band of the evening, but had to go on early due to a number of considerations. Bad mistake, as most of our following turned up about 3 numbers before the end of our show. We were not popular because of that.

I've had the inverse of that experience. We played our first gig in something like 6 years (it's a very casual band) in January last year when the snow was really bad in the UK. We really didnt think many peope would turn up with the weather and being just after New Years, but we actually had a really great turn out the gig went really well.

We thought we'd do another gig in April (last year), since better weather = even better turn out, though we were totally wrong and we had about half of what showed up in mid winter. Just one of those things I guess.

Sorry to hear that. I know when that happens it messes with your psychie.....It will be better next month.

braincramp,
don't feel bad at all-the same thing happened to me last night. The bar owner didn't even shut the big wall screen tv off when we played. So, we had to compete with football for two of the three sets. But, the money was good for us.I was surprised.

A while back we played a gig "for a friend"-------for free-----there were 2 people in his "store" where it was held.....a promotional thing..........my bass players mother in law and our guitar players mom! All was not lost however, he only charged us full price for the beers!! He will be out of business soon.

braincramp,
don't feel bad at all-the same thing happened to me last night. The bar owner didn't even shut the big wall screen tv off when we played. So, we had to compete with football for two of the three sets. But, the money was good for us.I was surprised.

Yeah, this was happening...its a "L" shaped bar so they left the TV on (at least the sound was down) with the game on for the 1st set... we usually draw 70-90 people last night there was maybe 35-40 ...I just like to see a packed dance floor when we play and this was not the case...but we put a heck of a show on anyway!!

Our band has had this problem for years...packed venues one time....then very few the next.

A lot of it today has to do with the economy because frankly, some folks can't pay the 8 to 10 dollar cover charge and then buy their drink of choice. Then the fuel it takes to get to a gig.

I know if I didn't make enough money a gig to pay for my fuel and eats.....I would quit.

One band I was in (original), some times we'd play to a few hundred, sometimes to 50, sometimes to 5.

I never quite understood how there could be such a wild swing in attendance among our core fan base. Some gigs just line up better with people's scheduled better than others.

On holidays, at home watching TV or gaming, getting wasted at some place where they don't have to drive, at Al's gig, watching a big sports event ...

The only time I can remember where an old band of mine was given a good mix with spot on foldback by a headline act's crew, there were about half a dozen people there who weren't staff. Of course, when a headliner's crew left the PA howling with feedback, with no foldback and an unbalanced mix the venue was packed.

Murphy's Law.

Sorry to hear about that. I once went to a concert that was originally sold out but canceled due to snow. Then it snowed heavily on the make up date. About 75 people showed up out of an expected 2000 I think. The bands acted like they were playing to a packed house and put on a great show.

Nah, they were all at home on their favourite discussion forum waiting for youtube clips of your gig to be uploaded ;-)

Well, at least you don't start with a full house and watch it get smaller as the night goes on!

I've played some gigs at local restaurants and we go on quite early (8 pm). We start with a packed house, but then the dinner patrons start filing out when they are done eating. It's somewhat depressing. By the time we finish up around 11 pm there is no one but the band wives still there. So we just jam and play whatever we want then!

Back