A better look at Ludwig's blue/olive oyster finish

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Got the new kit semi-set-up in my little practice area and took better photos of it with my iPhone. And you know, it looks great! Like I said before, it has this classic white pearl underneath with colors swirled into it. I like it. I have a gig on a big stage coming up in a couple of weeks so I can't wait to see what stage lighting does to it, but I think it'll be positive. Sometimes when you have a dark colored kit, it just goes to black if you're on stage with red and blue lighting. The white parts should reflect the colored lighting giving the kit more than just 'shadow definition'. It looks good.

The drums came outfitted with clear Ludwig medium heads and coated medium heads on the toms, and a white logo head and a smooth white extra heavy batter head (no ring). I may just go and get some black dots now for them and store the originals as spares.

I think its wild and subtle at the same time. I'm diggin' it!

Attachments

• Drums1.JPG
    Drums1.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 1,667
  • Drums2.JPG
    Drums2.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,496
  • Drums3.JPG
    Drums3.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,379
  • Drums4.JPG
    Drums4.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,710
OH you and your Black Dots.
I disliked BD heads even back in the day.
I remember buying them and a few days later I was saying to myself, "My God, what have I done!"
I then promptly put my coated heads back on the toms.

I don't like the B&O Badge, but the B&O wrap is growing on me.

OH you and your Black Dots.
I disliked BD heads even back in the day.
I remember buying them and a few days later I was saying to myself, "My God, what have I done!"
I then promptly put my coated heads back on the toms.

I don't like the B&O Badge, but the B&O wrap is growing on me.

Really didn't like the B/O badge? I knew of Ludwig drums throughout my lifetime but I didn't really begin to study them until the B/O era - so that's kinda' my nostalgia for the B/O badges. I remember going into all the music stores and all they had were Ludwig, Gretsch, Slingerland, or Rogers, with Ludwig being the most prominent - until that little upstart Tama started to come out in '76 or so. That's why I don't get the old script logo head - that's from the wrong era if its a B/O badge kit (omg I'm starting to sound like Sticks....).

But ok Bob, I'll try these Ludwig heads first. It woulda' been cool if they installed felt strips on the bass drum though. I need some Dr.Scholl's moleskin for the beater. Off to the supermarket!

I'm a keystone guy. I am older than you. :)
Forget the Scholls, Use a thin Evans patch.

I just love it. And I'm predicting it will LOVE stage lights. My WMP really does; I get comments on it all the time under the lights.

And no finish on earth works better with the blue/olive badges than that one. Love the script logo, too. That's the one I got also.

Outstanding.

Really nice kit there. I play the same setup, but my kick is 24x16" and I have the 100th. Anniversary badges (made in 2009). Charcoal Shadow.

I cycled through a million different drums before I got my current Classic Maple setup and I love it. It's all I've played for a few years now.

Maybe we need a Ludwig 24/16/13 group here on DW, since it's a setup that's growing in popularity?

I wouldn't spend too much money on it since you'll be selling it in a few months.

I like both Ludwig badges, but am partial to the B/O badge, like Bo. It's definitely an interesting finish, which should look killer in the lights. I think you should put the 70's bass drum logo/reso on it, since it has B/O badges. ;-)

Maybe a little smaller on the logo though, like you had on your maple kit.

Attachments

• 11000710726_fa92c7ec82_c.jpg
    11000710726_fa92c7ec82_c.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 1,590
Last edited:
I like both Ludwig badges, but am partial to the B/O badge, like Bo. It's definitely an interesting finish, which should look killer in the lights. I think you should put the 70's bass drum logo/reso on it, since it has B/O badges. ;-)

Maybe a little smaller on the logo though, like you had on your maple kit.

Oh yeah, that's in the works right now. I ordered the same 6" x 1" Ludwig logo stickers I got before and am waiting for them to get here. I replaced the batter head with a clear PowerStroke 3 this time, so that leaves me with the Ludwig smooth white heavy head. The new logo goes on that head and will be changed out ;)

But the script logo is starting to grow on me too. It'll be nice to have a choice, eh?

Whatever happened to this finish, don't see it much anymore?

Collected! Now my Speed King is finally home. 26" 14" 18" ..I'm thinking 16" 602 paper thin crash over 16" med crash for hats and a 24" med 602 ride. Hammered Bronze Snare . Simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back