Big Ludwig Tubs - finally some pictures

SAINTDRUMS

Happy New Year! I finally got around to taking some pictures of my latest kit. It's a '84 Chicago era Thermogloss 6 ply maple kit. Sizes are 16x26, 13x14 (10 lug), 18x18, and 18x20. Pictured with the kit is a 6.5 Black Beauty. I'll admit, it took a little bit of tinkering with various tunings and different heads before I found the sound I wanted. These drums are thunderous and vibrate your internal organs! I ended up going with a clear PS3 on the kick batter and a Ludwig heavy gloss white reso on the kick (non-ported), and coated G2s over coated G1s on the toms. I'm very happy with the sound. Please note that I have clear G2s over clear G1s on the toms in the pictures.

Attachments

• Lud 1.jpg
    Lud 1.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 515
  • Lud 3.jpg
    Lud 3.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 460
  • Lud 4.jpg
    Lud 4.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 458
  • Lud 2.jpg
    Lud 2.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 450
Great looking kit, and I'll bet it rattles the walls.

Your floor toms are bigger than the bass drums I use - 18 x 15, and 20 x 17.

LOL

My god, man, those drums are huge!
I'll bet you shake the very foundation of your house when you play!

They're beautiful.

Why the 10 lugs btw?

I don't think I've ever seen so many on a tom of that size before

Yowzuh, ROCK N ROLL!!!

I found them at a local Mom & Pop drum store. This particular store is great and I try to give them as much support as possible. I walked in, saw them, and immediately fell in love. I couldn't bring myself to leave without putting down a deposit.

They are loud, and as you would expect, very deep sounding. Perfect for triplets! It took me some time to dial in the sound to where I like it, but it was worth the effort. The finish is slightly showing the years - there's some slight cracking here and there in the thermogloss, but to me that's like a patina and I wouldn't change a thing. More importantly, the edges are perfect and the shells are round. The Evans Level 360s fit all the toms perfectly. I might try some Remo clear CS heads in the future, but for now I think these heads will sound even better as they "age" a little more.

awesome!! I've never seen in a 20 inch floor tom up close, it must be massive!

awesome!! I've never seen in a 20 inch floor tom up close, it must be massive!
20" floor toms rule! I'd love to have one again. Back in the day, I did a small paid tour with a 26" x 14" bass drum, 20" x 18" floor tom, & a 14" snare. No mounted tom (Bo would approve). Floor tom was always mic'd with a D12 TOP & BOTTOM! Oh man, did that thing thunder :)

20" floor toms rule! I'd love to have one again. Back in the day, I did a small paid tour with a 26" x 14" bass drum, 20" x 18" floor tom, & a 14" snare. No mounted tom (Bo would approve). Floor tom was always mic'd with a D12 TOP & BOTTOM! Oh man, did that thing thunder :)

Every time I set up my 18 someone always comments on how big they think it is. I would love to see a reaction to a 20, its like a bass drum!

ha Andy, you brought a small kit but it was so big it traveled like a larger kit ill bet. now you have an 8 or a ten from the looks of the clips, are you shrinking with age???

Love it!!!

My roommates 1990 14x14 has 10 lugs too. How long did Ludwig do this? Why did they need more lugs than the floor toms?

Awesome kit! I always kinda wanted a 20" floor tom... I don't think I could have passed that kit up either!

My 13x14 had 10 lugs too, and it was a 1990.

Ludwig's Power Toms had lug overkill. I was much happier tuning an 8 lug 14 :)
I don't think they do that many lugs on the deep toms anymore.

Have fun!!!

Those are beautiful thunder drums. Great find. But, you know you'd like that kit even more if your ride was a 24" Paiste 2002 - must purchase! :)

I have a similar Ludwig classic maple kit (in natural maple, but not thermogloss) I bought in 1999. I also have a 16x26 bass drum, but my toms are "small", 12x14, 16x16, and 16x18. I love your kit! Great choice, enjoy the thunder. It always makes me feel like I am playing "in" the kit, instead of "on" the kit, if that makes sense to you.

Back