Don't really know what it's called... Someone clue me in?

blastbeatkeeper

It has been brought to my attention by another drummer that I am doing my fast gallups on the bass drums wrong...I'm not sure if they are called gallups, or flams, fast triplets, or what they're called, but here is an example:

(how they sound)
dugadun dugadun dugadun dugadun

(how I play them)
rlr rlr rlr rlr

Ive been told that I'm supposed to be leading with alternate feet, kind of like this:

rlr lrl rlr lrl

I cant do that. Ive been trying to get the coordination to alternate with my feet, I just keep mixing myself up. Even slowing down to about 50-60 bpm. I mean, I have no trouble doing the quick double stroke with my right foot whatsoever, but, does it matter if I alternate feet? Or is it just because that's the "correct" way to do this particular technique(again, I don't know what its called....or I do, but just cant think of it right now)Please someone help. Thanks!

Re: Dont really know what its called....Someone clue me in?

1: There is no wrong way to play something
2: If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I'd play them the same way. That way, your right foot lands on the downbeat and your left on the upbeat

Edit: To clarify, I interpret your description as the classic Iron Maiden-type 16th note gallop, where the first 16th note after each quarter note is omitted.

Last edited:

Whom ever told that is mis-informed

Most times I've witnessed a drummer playing that rhythm with the feet, they do it without alternating. Of course, some people find it more comfortable to alternate, and that's cool.

The key is does it SOUND right, not which way you do it.

1: There is no wrong way to play something

True... it's how it's gonna sound, if it's sounds right, it's the right way :)

I play (fast) triplets on BD like this LRR LRR LRR LRR.

there is no wrong way

Steve Gadd and Dennis Chambers play it RRL RRL RRL RRL ...I've seen them both talk about this at clinics and they both expressed how it is a bit of an odd way of playing it when asked about it

...I would do RLR RLR RLR RLR ....so there ya go

Yeah that sounds like a ridiculous comment, the best way is whatever is most comfortable for you. For me it's defintely RLR RLR RLR RLR.

there is no wrong way

Steve Gadd and Dennis Chambers play it RRL RRL RRL RRL ...I've seen them both talk about this at clinics and they both expressed how it is a bit of an odd way of playing it when asked about it

...I would do RLR RLR RLR RLR ....so there ya go
I'm practicing both of those (not too often but it's working). The non-alternating version has one benefit though, you can vary the pattern by inserting/leaving out more notes with the left foot. And playing the herta pattern is much simpler (to me) doing it with the right foot playing constant 8th notes.

Alternating feet gives you the potential to play faster (cuz your right foot isn't hammering 8ths the whole time, playing twice as fast as your left foot). But thats really the only thing. You play it how you want to play it. If it sounds good to you, then it sounds good. Again, there is no right way to play anything.

here is Dennis doing what he used to start his solos for a long time

it's not quite the "gallop" but it is triplets on his feel and he clearly uses RRL RRL .......he also uses this for this "gallop" we are speaking of

so whoever told you (OP) that you were wrong and that there was a "correct" way....have them take it up with Mr. Chambers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKMN555UuH0

Back