Help with getting a new drum set?

Roseluck24

I've been drumming for about a year now. I drum for about anywhere from 1-2 to 3-4 hours (on a good day.) I already have a band and we've been playing a few gigs. But i don't use my drum set at those. I use whatever set they have there. But my set at home is only a beginner set from when i first started. I've been saving up and i want a new one. Can anyone give me some ideas? I play a little bit of everything, but i usually play punk, rock, and some metal.

We need to know your budget? Do you have a favorite brand?

My budget can be anywhere from i would say $300 - $600. Some of my favorite bands are Green Day, Led Zepplin, RUSH, Metallica, Ramones, and the Misfits.
I said BRAND not BAND. That is ok. I love RUSH also :)

The good news is - it's hard to make a mistake these days. The quality of All low end kits has gone up.

Until you have played enough and heard enough to have more specific requirements, really any kit from the major makers will be good.

Do you need hardware, too? The Tama Imperialstar packages are a great deal.

Try to buy anything USED!.
You can get a kit worth the double of your budget..
Mapex Saturn/Meridian maple or birch or whatever. Is a way to go for USED kits. They're good.
Yamaha stage customs are great kits, but too expensive if they're not USED.
Tama Imperialstar is a fine kit, also snatch it USED.
Anything USED will do. Im sorry for writing USED with capital all the time. but it is Important... atleast check it out.

I suppose you need Cymbals too?
Cheap ones are Meinl MCS and HCS.... HCS way cheaper but low quality crash, Hi-hat = ok.... Ride = fine i guess.. I got them at the moment, and well.. I can live with them. Was cheap :D

You can get a kit worth the double of your budget..
Mapex Saturn/Meridian maple or birch or whatever. Is a way to go for USED kits. They're good.
Yamaha stage customs are great kits, but too expensive if they're not USED.
Tama Imperialstar is a fine kit, also snatch it USED.
Anything USED will do. Im sorry for writing USED with capital all the time. but it is Important... atleast check it out.

I suppose you need Cymbals too?
Cheap ones are Meinl MCS and HCS.... HCS way cheaper but low quality crash, Hi-hat = ok.... Ride = fine i guess.. I got them at the moment, and well.. I can live with them. Was cheap :D

I can understand buying them used, but i want to get all new cymbals. I know it's kind of farfetched, but i'm hoping to get this new set and have it for a few years to come if i'm lucky. I'm hoping to find something good USED! I'll check out the Mapex and Yamaha. I've also been looking and a few Gretch. Can anyone recommend if that is a good set? I've only played on one once, and i liked the vibe i was getting.

You can get a kit worth the double of your budget.....Anything USED will do. Im sorry for writing USED with capital all the time. but it is Important... atleast check it out.

Rose,
Bertram is totally correct. You get a lot more bang for your buck with used gear. Every time I've purchased something used, I have always been able to negotiate down and usually they'll throw in free stuff. It's a great way to upgrade your gear without emptying your wallet. Craigslist is your friend. EBay is decent as well, but Craigslist is particularly good in that regard.

As for cymbals, I don't think you need to limit yourself to just new ones - that's one place where you can save a ton of money -- they're pretty marked-up at the stores, etc. you might consider pursuing some used ones, as long as they don't have keyholing, etc.

Just a thought. Hope this helps.
Greenie

I can understand buying them used, but i want to get all new cymbals. I know it's kind of farfetched, but i'm hoping to get this new set and have it for a few years to come if i'm lucky. I'm hoping to find something good USED! I'll check out the Mapex and Yamaha. I've also been looking and a few Gretch. Can anyone recommend if that is a good set? I've only played on one once, and i liked the vibe i was getting.

One more thing: I play Gretsch Renown Maples and I love them. I upgraded from Pearl Exports to the Renowns a while ago and they've been awesome. Don't know much about the Catalina line, which might be closer to your price range, but the Renowns are very cool. The bass has a wonderful warm feel -- best bass I've ever had by far. I just put new heads on the toms and they've really come to life even more now. They were good before and they're fantastic now. So, for what it's worth, I love my Gretsch.

Back