Drum set up - What's the matter with people?

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
Drum set up - What's the matter with people? - Updated

Check this out!

I love the supports for the toms.

Drums - Bad.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, had a problem making this work before. I got it now. Nothing get by me. =)

Look for a thread on here called "Tom angles". Makes that setup you posted pretty tame by comparison. Pretty hilarious stuff.

It looks pretty goofy, but it really just tells you that the guy's ride cymbal is more important to him than playing drum-to-drum stuff on the toms, which is actually admirable. Though I'd still never set my stuff up like that.

It works for him!
At least the toms and bass won't get scratched.

I am willing to bet it doesnt look quite as bad from the drivers seat. Cameras can do weird things, I mean just look at my avitar...lol

shannon larkin of godsmack and ian paice(sp?) of deep purple both have set ups similar to this. i dont really get it, but whatever floats yer boat i suppose.

Playing e-drums has made me appreciate a tight kit. The picture you posted is not what I would choose, but I certainly wouldn't call it dysfunctional or judge the player by it. It may be "just the ticket" for him/her.

Often drumsets have been set up by non drumming parents for their children. Don't be harsh. I have been trying to get over to a student's house after seeing a pic of her set up. Parents put it together as best they could.

shannon larkin of godsmack and ian paice(sp?) of deep purple both have set ups similar to this. i dont really get it, but whatever floats yer boat i suppose.

I don't know about Shannon Larkin, but are you really sure Ian Paice plays a kit set up like this? I think you should check again.....

This would be another issue to tackle in my upcoming FAQ about "what kind of drums to buy". The "How to Set Up" FAQ. However, correct set-up needs to be pointed out in terms of ergonomics and whatever else to help your body adjust to this new environment. Obviously, if this guy likes his set the way it is, you can't really change it at that point.

Often drumsets have been set up by non drumming parents for their children. Don't be harsh. I have been trying to get over to a student's house after seeing a pic of her set up. Parents put it together as best they could.

That's a pretty nice set for a child.

At the last DRUM! Night in San Jose, Kenny Aronoff had his shell toms separated by quite a bit. Similar to this pic. I was kind of surprised. Didn't seem to bother him though.

Yeah..I was going to say,Kenny Arnoff used to set up his tome like that,and have them in reverse size order.So looking at it from the drivers seat it was 13/12/16.

If you take a look at 30's and 40's drum set pics,they were all set uu like the OP's pic.Nothing new there.

Steve B

I don't have a problem with that set up, but I still wouldn't play mine like that. My toms are barely at angles at all and I like them that way. I have played sets that were angled so bad that you can't even hit right. Still, if you like that setup, who am I to tell you its wrong.

Back