Is Tama a Bad Company?

There are no bad companies.

There are only bad people.

They were a good company making good products until the late 80s. Then, what you read in that thread started happening.

That's unfortunate. I was going to pick up some hardware from them, but not sure about it now. I am sure others do similar things. It's one thing to borrow ideas and follow trends but another to pass off certain products as one thing when they are another. Is it documented somewhere?

That was an... Interesting read. And rather sad and pathetic, I might add, to see that type of thing go on. It's one thing to know it goes on, but another entirely to read about a situation like that.

Still wont stop me from buying Tama... They make some great drums. Don't let it stop you either.

Man - I don't have time to fumble through some other forum to figure out this story. What the heck happened? And why was it bad?

+1.

Lazy of me, I know. But I'd much rather the "motion picture" than tuning in at the same bat time, on the same bat channel next week to wade through the mini-series as presented in that other thread. Got to page two without an apparent point in sight and gave up. Any chance of a summary? Or at least to collate that blokes multiple posts into one 'straight to the point' episode? I'm interested....but not enough to mine for it myself.

I am no good at summarizing :( and would probably muck up the story. I actually thought it was a good read. It doesn't take THAT long.

Just from the little bits i got out of the unnecessarily convoluted grammar, I take it Tama people ripped off ideas calling it theirs? Or coerced information out of others to use for their own?

The thread is from 2011. Tama has been around since the 60s. If I'm correct in what I think happened in this story, then I'm sure time in existence doesn't matter, but somebody has to point out to me why does this story matter?

Just from the little bits i got out of the unnecessarily convoluted grammar, I take it Tama people ripped off ideas calling it theirs? Or coerced information out of others to use for their own?

The thread is from 2011. Tama has been around since the 60s. If I'm correct in what I think happened in this story, then I'm sure time in existence doesn't matter, but somebody has to point out to me why does this story matter?

I don't know what you mean by "time in existence doesn't matter." To me I vote with my $ which is why I buy good quality stuff made by good folks. Food or clothes, or a car. To me it matters because I don't hear of DW doing this. Seems shady to me and others are aware or it going on after the 80s according to other posts on this thread.

To me it matters because I don't hear of DW doing this. Seems shady to me and others are aware or it going on after the 80s according to other posts on this thread.

You might be right, but it depends on what "it" is.

I tried reading the posts on that other forum and I got lost. It was harder than reading drum charts.

To me I vote with my $ which is why I buy good quality stuff made by good folks. .

Which Tama pro line is not quality stuff ??

Keep in mind...... they've been doing the top stuff WITH THEIR OWN PARTS for much longer than probably most companies ever have.

I just read the entire thread (again, whilst waiting for a shellac coat to dry :( Some fairly scurrilous back door dealing, but fairly typical story of financial muscle believing they have a right to take whatever information they want & make it their own. The bearing edge story in that thread (although apparently only relating to a back cut angle = so what!) is certainly something you can see playing out right now (not Tama).

If you're a small builder with some good ideas, the only thing you can do to protect yourself is concentrate on things that aren't easily scaleable, otherwise expect your design to appear sometime soon with a patent number & full marketing express train.

I can't speak for C&C, or the story, but if true, non of this surprises me. Genuinely, when we were developing Origin, we had our emails hacked. I had a very smart company (who I work with in another field) trace the source/sources, & the results were enlightening to say the least.

Which Tama pro line is not quality stuff ??

Keep in mind...... they've been doing the top stuff WITH THEIR OWN PARTS for much longer than probably most companies ever have.

Never said it wasn't. Just curious about the history. And yes that story is not easy to follow. Seems like a bit of lore to me.

Never said it wasn't. Just curious about the history. And yes that story is not easy to follow. Seems like a bit of lore to me.

That's cool tennis.. . I was just sort of trying to see if you knew about Tama. I don't know how much truth to that story........ I don't know all the extreme details etc.......

But Tennis......... Please take quite a while to look who Tama actually are. They were doing a bunch of far more badasss stuff than most companies.... a LONG TIME ago.. with their own parts that they designed and invested in... AND ALWAYS made their own rock solid shells.

Please have a look at WAY too much information. http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversary/

Plenty of immoral behaviour going on in that story but unfortunately I think many people and companies atop any industry engage in that sort of thing. My dad is in manufacturing and the bigger companies whom he feels privelidged to deal with are absolutely ruthless and screw everyone. Plenty of them would play up the good guy image too.

I began reading that thread and immediately stopped after a couple of posts; when he gets to the part about the young couple coming in and the woman is a "sixth generation psychic". Right, and I'm a 10th generation zebra who just happens to look like a human. From that point on I don't care because if people buy that they'll buy anything.

I just read the entire thread (again, whilst waiting for a shellac coat to dry :( Some fairly scurrilous back door dealing, but fairly typical story of financial muscle believing they have a right to take whatever information they want & make it their own. The bearing edge story in that thread (although apparently only relating to a back cut angle = so what!) is certainly something you can see playing out right now (not Tama).

If you're a small builder with some good ideas, the only thing you can do to protect yourself is concentrate on things that aren't easily scaleable, otherwise expect your design to appear sometime soon with a patent number & full marketing express train.

I can't speak for C&C, or the story, but if true, non of this surprises me. Genuinely, when we were developing Origin, we had our emails hacked. I had a very smart company (who I work with in another field) trace the source/sources, & the results were enlightening to say the least.

That is surprising and not. But would make for a good spy novel hah!

If it's true, it doesn't surprise me. Corporate behavior is not going to win the hearts of people. It's a cut-throat world, and the less you know about what really goes on, the happier the corporations are.

This is why I generally support the little guy/gal; it's my default approach unless there is some prohibitive reason not to.

Back