Best ideas in drum equipment?

CCdrummer

I thought this would be a good companion thread to the worst idea thread.

Any ideas?

I like the soft cases, cheaper, easy to store, and get the job done.

Maxi-adjustable bass drum pedals. When I grew up we had a spring, period.

Mounting systems like Tama Star-cast. I know its nothing new, and other companies have similar hardware. But a free floating mount is bounds better than the old fixed ones.

I'll throw in a vote for mylar heads and suspension mounts, including Pearl's rubber floor tom feet.

Last week I tried tuning the toms on a Yamaha ACM with that nodal mount and there was a huge sound difference between holding the tom by the rim and putting it up on the mount. I'd take a RIMS mount over that thing anyday. That nodal system is snake oil as far as I'm concerned (on otherwise top notch drums).

i dropped out of drumming for 20 years or so. when i came back a few years ago i was amazed by all the improvements in drum technology! one thing that's improved a lot is drum heads. i love the new self-dampening heads, especially the bass drum heads like the powerstroke 3 or the EMAD series. they sound so good without having to put tape all over them or stuff your drum with pillows.

Sticks.

An unbelievably, insightful invention. Dare I say the second most important piece of drum equipment developed second only to the....Drum.

-r

DW hardware - dogbones, toothless tileters etc.

all excellent stuff but why does it have to be so damn heavy.

I'll add:

• Toothless, infinitely adjustable tilters, like those found on DW's cymbal stands
  • Terry Bozzio's ratcheted tuning rods, known as Tunerz. Although they are no longer manufactured, they were massively underrated while they lasted (I have amassed a large collection of those that remain).
  • While we're there, tuning rods with finer threads.
  • Adjustable height cymbal seats
  • Drum head tension measuring devices such as DrumDial.
  • Drum racks
  • Mesh heads on electronic drums

Sticks.

An unbelievably, insightful invention. Dare I say the second most important piece of drum equipment developed second only to the....Drum.

-r

Sticks probably started out as bones, so I would say it would be better to say the invention of the bone.

Memory locks. Makes setting up fast and you have the same setup each and every time. Simple, briliant invention.

Of course, a lot of drummers here don't remember a time when there was no such thing! Trust me, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

the double pedal. they didn't have those when i was getting started, or if they did they were so crude they weren't worth bothering with.

I'd say just any all modern tom holders.

I'm always surprised with the advances in automobiles, planes, and rockets that occurred from 1910 thru the 1990's, that it took so long for drum companies to apply some of the same basic engineering principles to tom mounts. Vintage tom mounts from the 60's and earlier are often so unforgiving.

And I agree with memory locks. They are a true life saver.

Memory locks. Makes setting up fast and you have the same setup each and every time. Simple, briliant invention.

Of course, a lot of drummers here don't remember a time when there was no such thing! Trust me, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Damn good one, I still know what it's like. I've got sharpie marks all over my stands and floor tom legs to kind of ease the process.

I'd have to add pedal linkages, from double bass pedals to that massive 28" kick off to the side of your main bass. You can get a linkage made and control a multitude of hats, beaters, shakers, etc.

And to slightly echo Grunters point, base plates for bass drum pedal.

Also, moon gel, not sure when it was introduced, but instant muffling with out having to use tape (I like it).

Back