Containment unit drum kit

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Containment unit drum kit

Pretty sure that splash lacks sonic cut. The BD pedal needs some upgrades.

Snare drum "Sounds fairly close to it actually (a snare)"...? Sound 'is' subjective.

Paint job coming, that'll set it off Im sure, can't wait!

I like it. The kit is great, and the beginning drummer is also great. A nice way to get into drumming. He built his own kit, and enjoys playing it.

Ha! Doesn't sound half bad. A lot more innovative than I am, but maybe if I couldn't afford a kit I'd have done something similar. The googly eyes to act as snare wires I found rather impressive. Kid's got the makings of an engineer (he can operate on a budget!).

That's pretty sad that the kid has resorted to building a kit out of card board tubes and saran wrap for drum heads. If I knew the kid, and saw him playing that kit in person, I would give him half of my Tama Rockstar monster kit just so he has real drums to play on.

Last edited:
I think this guy embodies what a true dyed in the wool drummer would do with no money for gear. Playing drums is clearly a necessity in his life. The guy has to play so bad that he does whatever he needs to, in order for him to be able to play drums. Highest, highest compliments to him. A soup lid can lid for a splash. Very intelligent resourceful guy.

He is deserving of a donation for sure. I have a snare I'd give him.

Edit, just did a search on him and apparently, he likes to make all kinds of stuff...including guns....not just drums...DIY. He admits he's not a drummer, he just wanted a drum set. So maybe I'll hold off on the donation.

From the information posted I cannot positively say that the motivation for building the drum set was poverty. Even though it is labeled "Homemade poor man drum set," I do not see that as the motivating factor in building the inexpensive drum set.

There does happen to be other art forms that are not audio, visual arts are also an exercise in creativity. Perhaps this individual took building the drum kit as a challenge like a drummer would like to learn a very difficult song for the challenge.

As a mechanical engineer myself, I do find it enjoyable to create things on a budget. Most of my engineering friends find the same type of challenge very enjoyable. There is a false impression that engineers would like to use the higher tech solution then the cheaper low tech solution. There is a lot of enjoyment in developing a cheap way to solve the problem.

When I was 13 or 14 I just had to have a drum kit, but my parents weren't gonna drop that kind of money so I had to improvise. I already had my pearl steel shell, a 12" wuhan, and (for some reason) a pdp throne that my parents got me when I joined the school band. Somehow I got a bass drum pedal so I put that on a cardboard box for a kick drum. I got another snare that was old and flaky and had split heads and a crap strainer, so I cut the mylar from the hoops and stretched and taped some blue plastic tarp over them. That was some kind of thwacky thuddy floor tom. I also had a little first act drum, some toy bongos, and a coffee can, which all needed to be arranged on the ping pong table in the basement.

I probably used SD1s, but I remember one time I bought a red oak dowel and whittled and sanded them into acorn tip 5Bs for HOURS, and I did a really good job, too! Turns out that that red oak dowel was very brittle and my sticks lasted about 20 minutes. I remember kicking the pedal was uncomfortable because my throne was so high, and the "toms" on the table were flat and hard to hit properly. And I have no clue where I put the china cymbal.

I played my stupid garbage kit for hours almost every day for months until my dad broke down and got me my $200 craigslist special that christmas. By the time I got it, I could already play my first 10 or 20 noob drum beats and let's-go-down-the-toms fills! Nostalgia...

Back