Just thought I'd add mine

RollingStone000

Silver Member
Last edited:
nice kit dude but I'd suggest turning your cymbal stands the other way round. After a bit of playing hitting the cymbals will eventually undo the wing-nut that holds your cymbal on thus causing expensive cymbals to fall and hit the floor :( It doesn't look like it would impair you're set up to do so, so I don't think there's any reason not to.

nice kit dude but I'd suggest turning your cymbal stands the other way round. After a bit of playing hitting the cymbals will eventually undo the wing-nut that holds your cymbal on thus causing expensive cymbals to fall and hit the floor :( It doesn't look like it would impair you're set up to do so, so I don't think there's any reason not to.

Yeah I've only had it set up that way for the past week or so. I took all of my cymbals and stands to a friends house and when I got back I decide to experiment a little. I took damn long to set it up that way too. I'm going to be taking the whole kit to another friends place to jam, definitely going to set them up with the cymbals sitting instead of hanging on the stands. I mean, I check the wing nuts every time before I play (and try and play with some touch), but I doubt my friends would. And positioning it is a serious pain. I still think it looks cool, but not worth the hassle and the unnecessary amount of room it takes up.

ive never understood why people set the cymbals up like that. is there any advantages???

From my experience no, if anything there are more disadvanteges to it. The only advantage in my opinion is that it looks cool, and that's more of personal perspective type of thing.

yea i thought so. my bass player is allways telling me to set my cymbals up like that and i allways have an argument on how uncomfortable it would be and how stupid it looks

Well the "stupid" thing, again, is perspective. But I sure as hell wouldn't take a bass players advice on setups especially if their only arguing point is "it would look cool". It is a little uncomfortable too, but I like the idea of changing things around a little from time to time (something I heard Ronald Bruner Jr. say in an interview). It kind of makes you stay on your toes, instead of falling into a bit of a lull always knowing where everything is by instinct.

Another problem with doing that may be that the boom arm has to extend so far away from the stand for bigger cymbals... may cause problems with stability. Are there some kind of locking-nuts that you could use for them to keep them from coming off?
Ive never really seen anyone do that before... it does look kind of cool but i think all the problems it could cause are probably not worth it... and it seems like it would make positioning them less flexible.
Your kit looks good btw.

Toad - I appreciate it man. And yeah, if I had to move this thing regularly they would not be setup that way. The locking nuts are an interesting idea, I don't know if they make anything like that, maybe on some pro gear. Also I did notice some stability issue particularly with the ride. Not too much of a problem when playing with nylon tips, but with the wood I noticed if I lay into it there's slight wobble. Not a big issue, but noticeable.

Back