DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-13-2014, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin is great, I don't think much needs to be added from what has already been said. He is technically talented, creative, and his drums always sound so damn nice.

I love Porcupine Tree SO MUCH and wonder if that will ever get going again, but he's now doing stuff with King Crimson and I am stoked to see how that turns out.

On KC's facebook page it states "farewell tour" in the tour dates link. I surely hope that's not the case, but they start the tour in September.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:40 AM

Hey Gavin!

I was not surprised to know you're not a fan of poor rhythm, I noticed on one of the podcast interviews you recently did they presented you with their rendition of your Kitchen song, and I could just hear you holding back the cringes :) I too have a strong conviction towards proper rhythm, and understood your discomfort all too well.

I was recently at Guitar Center reading through your latest book, which was very well written and kept me giggling just enough to make the guy walking by me uneasy. I loved what you had to say about "What Happens Now" when you referred to the interlude as 3D. It reminded me of a video I had seen a few months back, made by a man named Wolfram Winkel. In it, he plays a different rhythm with each limb up to 8 beats, at one point effectively playing a 8:7:6:5 polyrhythm, otherwise known as a woodpecker's worst nightmare (Here it is: http://youtu.be/A6KAVvLlcqQ). Beyond "What Happens Now" (7:5:3 with the Anesthetize guitar part), have you delved into polyrhythms with more than 2 pulses? I would love to learn how to do this but I have no clue what way I should go about it.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:57 PM

Hi Gavin,

I recently bought your book Rhythmic Composition hoping to play some PT songs as playalongs. It turned out that I should have read the description of the book a bit more seriously. I know that you've been asked many times about playalongs and that it's not possible for you to offer some. But I wanted to know if theres any chance to get some especially now where the book is on sale.

Beyond that I would like to thank you. I really appreciate that you're answering all our questions. Your playing really inspires me and always keeps me motivated to try out some new ideas.

Regards, Nils
Old 08-18-2014, 03:22 PM

Hi Gavin, I have purchased your previous albums as digital FLAC downloads from your website, but have noticed that your latest album "The Man Who Sold Himself" is not available in this format (well, at least not legally). Would this album be released as a FLAC download in the future or would I need to purchase a physical CD or iTunes quality downloads?

If any other forumer has found out where I can purchase the album online legally I would be very grateful if you could let me know where it can be found.