Even the best of the best make mistakes too....

PacifRick

For everyone that worries about mistakes while playing (including myself), run up to about 7 minutes into the vid...actually watch it all. Gadd cutoff Claptons solo early! But being the pro's they are, recovered very well!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Iugs4pSpgY

I am sure there are other great examples, but this one really made me smile and really hit home with me.

Good find. Whats interesting about this is that the phrase Gadd plays works as a variation to coming in on the 1 after a fill. Mistakes can sometimes be effective.

Good find. Whats interesting about this is that the phrase Gadd plays works as a variation to coming in on the 1 after a fill. Mistakes can sometimes be effective.

truth

if Clapton had not turned around and smiled then later gave Gadd the "here we go".......I would have looked at Gadds minor miscue as foreshadowing

sounded good to me

truth

if Clapton had not turned around and smiled then later gave Gadd the "here we go".......I would have looked at Gadds minor miscue as foreshadowing

sounded good to me

True, without Clapton's "clue" I would have thought that was actually a very good passage from Gadd, master at work, if you close your eyes and listen again, or better, listen first and watch after, you'll never guess there's a "mistake" in there. :)

That's one heck of a solo and I actually loved how Gadd came in early. It gave it a truly funky feel. Thanks for posting; This made my day!

Clapton's look is priceless!!! I could only hope to one day play a fraction as well as Steve Gadd's mistakes!

That's one heck of a solo and I actually loved how Gadd came in early. It gave it a truly funky feel. Thanks for posting; This made my day!

I agree...only they knew it was in error, but Clapton gave it away! That fill did add another level to the build up, and fit nicely.

wow. I never thought of it like that, but you are probably right. Regardless I LOVE the dotted eight notes Gadd plays over those quarter note triplets. Ridiculously funky.

Man, I couldn't even pick out the mistake if that says anything.

Gadd is Gadd and Clapton is Clapton after all.

I think I recover pretty well sometimes, but I'm only at the stage where it's recovering from tripping over my own hands, not recovering from incorrect phrasing.

Didn't notice a thing, that sounded awesome. :)

Clapton's two looks at Gadd weren't enough to convince me it was even a mistake. After Gadd plays that phrase, he switches to the "and" on the bell of the cymbal. It just sounds like a logical lift. Now, if you look closely at around the 7:27 mark, you can see Gadd peering under his cymbal to look at Clapton, as if looking for a visual cue. So that might be the best evidence it was a mistake. Then again, I don't know if that happens if Clapton isn't gesturing so obviously to get Gadd's attention.

Regardless, the fill makes the song better. Foreshadowing, mistake, whatever it was, I'm glad it's in there.

Sorry, to me that was hell and gone from being a mistake.

First off its a pretty 'out' guitar solo by Clapton's standards, and Gadd was simply heating things up for him. For players at that level a mistake is only a 16th away from fixin', so nobody notices. Its like bassist Wooten says.. it you hit a bum note, slide it one note up or down and it wont be a bum note anymore. It just seemed an open space in that part of the tune where Clapton would end his solo when he felt like it and the band would follow.

Did anybody like Clapton's solo?

Clapton's two looks at Gadd weren't enough to convince me it was even a mistake. After Gadd plays that phrase, he switches to the "and" on the bell of the cymbal. It just sounds like a logical lift.
That was how I saw it too. I thought Clapton looked back and smiled at Gadd because that was a ridiculously cool "lift" as you said, and Clapton was like, "That's why I pay you the big bucks!"

...like bassist Wooten says.. it you hit a bum note, slide it one note up or down and it wont be a bum note anymore...

Did anybody like Clapton's solo?
I thought it was another one of those shred videos! Ha ha!

Just kidding, but no, I didn't care for it much. Great Wooten quote, though. I always liked that, and I like your modification of it to fit drumming.

Phew! I refrained from replying at first because I was feeling dumb. The only thing I found wrong was Eric's solo, which was the worst playing I've heard from him by a mile.

Not judging ... when you've put out that much fabulous music you can do what you like when you get old.

I do think it was a mistake because after the fill Gadd put those accents on the cymbals in that nobody else played, but then did the fill again later and this time the accents went with everything else. Plus the look Clapton gave him, that little smile seemed more "one of those" kind of smiles.

Who knows though, could be wrong. Still sounds great either way!

Yes a mistake but not that surprising. Even with dots I've made the same kind of mistake many times (its so easy to miss a repeat). He either lost count or thought he heard a cue or simply forgot how many bars the solo went on for.

What I did find surprising was that, having played the run-up fill and the cymbal phrase early, he then repeated the same fill and phrase at the right time. Obviously the phrasing needed to be the same but the run-up could have been varied. Still I'm so far off Gadd's standard I'm in no postion to judge.

Back