Fast jazz hi hat

drum4fun27302

Gold Member
I have a problem with fast jazz hihat . From the 300 bpm and up my left foot has a hard time keeping up (playing heel up ). I am working on playing heel down and having the one and 3 on the heel and 2 and4 on the toe, creating a rocking motion. I was wondering if thst is whet most people use or if there is something else ?
I tried 2 and 4 only with heel up (no 1 and 3) . It is way easier on the left foot but it screws up the rest of my limbs by having my left foot always on the "e" and "a".

Keeping your heel up is more comfortable for me at higher tempos. It just takes practice. You are on the right track.

There are a bunch of youtube videos on this if you just do a simple search explaining these and variations on these techniques.

Another thing you could try is just keeping your heel down and simply tapping 2/4. The heel-toe thing is mainly for people starting out. As you start doing more complex comping ideas on your hi hat and playing at faster tempos heel/toe becomes very cumbersome.

I am more comfortable playing heel up as well but at very fast tempi , my left leg can't keep up going up and town on every best and "chicking" on 2 and 4. I try to make the motion smaller and it helps but it is still dragging.

At that tempo, ditch heel-toe and try and let your body feel the music in 2 with the hi-hat on the offbeats.

BTW, is your right hand relaxed? There could be tension that is causing a lot of problems with your overall balance behind the kit.

300 is fast.....I suggest start working with quarter notes 1st at your max tempo. Then restart working 2 and 4 slowly up to speed.
Also make sure your click track is set for half notes not quarters. This will make it easier to keep track of your time.
Then play quarter note equals 150 for 4 measures with HH on 2 and 4...then double time for 4 measures(counting click as 1 and 3) also with HH on 2 and 4. Start slow work up tempo. This will help your control resulting in speed!
Denis

At that speed and faster , I think by group of 4. I try to feel ONE , two , three,four , as if I was counting in 1/16 but the 1/16 is a quarter note.
Basically , I put the metronome at 75 (half of half) and end up playing the hihat on "e" and "a" by looking at it on 1/16 note subdivision. It kinda screws up my whole thing by having the chick on the e and a.
When I do the heel toe thing it is easier for my brain as I have the 1 on the heel and then 2 and 4 on the toe/chick , 3 being a quiet heel.
I also use the same technique on salsa but splash the hats on 1 and 3 and close it on 2 and 4 with a similar heel/toe rocking motion. It is kinda more natural to me.

But at fast and very fast speeds , I gets a little tricky. Any other "options" available ?

Back