Any pre gig routine?

I NEED 10 MINUTES !!!

That's all I ask.

Swap out the snare, if it's not my kit. Jimmy the rest so it feels like my go to set up (if it's not my kit), then double check my foot, seat, hi-hat, ride SPOTS.

If I have to bring everything.

I NEED 20 MINUTES !!!

No noodling necessary, but I need to have someone at FOH at least let me know that everything sounds OK.

I've probably only done 4 to 5 gigs in the last year where I had what I call "comfy" time.

It's usually a "wing it" kind of situation.

I used to like to buy a new shirt for every gig. I only do that now and then these days.

Besides that, I like to down a couple pints of IPA and sit alone right before we start.

I meditate a bit in the mornings before a show. Usually a half hour or hours worth. I eat little and make sure it's nothing greasy or that could mess up my stomach.

Don't usually worry about forgetting things.. It's all pretty routine at this point and there's a specific place I put each thing so it's hard to mess up and forget things.

Like a few of you, I'm also a bit particular about what I listen to on the way to the show. Don't want anything heavy or complicated that will fatigue my ear at all. Relaxing stuff or classic stuff I haven't heard in a while.

Worst part for me is waiting to get up there and play. I hate that part.

I try and get to my happy place when I play and sometimes that is at the expense of my conscious mind.
Lar, this is one of the things I love about ya. You find a way to say things that I never could quite put into words the way you do. I can SO relate to this. It speaks to me.

I don't want to get caught up in a routine that would cause anxiety if i couldn't complete said routine.
I love this, too. So true for me!

Bottom line is my routine is minimal. If I have time, I'll warm up on the pad. The main thing I like to do is take a pic of the place from behind the kit and post it to Twitter or Facebook. Other than that, not much. Other than the pre-show enema. But I guess we can all agree that goes without saying.

Thanks Lar. One thing I try NOT to do is get psyched up for the gig. Like if I think it's going to be a great night all day, I put a whammy on it lol. So I try not to anticipate it. I have to deliberately not think about it so I don't build up my expectations too high. Plus if I am too excited, it's not good for my count offs, if I have to start the song. So I try and live in the present as much as I can. It just works out better that way. Tonight will get here when it gets here.

I try to show up at least an hour before the gig. I hate being rushed during setup or teardown.

I like to do a little pad warm-up but I usually only have time for that on a handful of gigs.

One thing that I do have time for every gig, especially during load in and load out, is wonder to myself why I never took up the harmonica.

One thing that I do have time for every gig, especially during load in and load out, is wonder to myself why I never took up the harmonica.

Lol. I'm a little envious of guys with not much equipment too....until I start playing. I don't think I could get to that special place with any other instrument. Drums are so all encompassing.

my ride to the gig, I go over my gear list constantly. stick bag, cymbals, pedals etc... drives me crazy. also I have to listen to some good rock music, nothing soft or too pop. and I stress like hell about getting there and setting up. once the kits finished and its go time I can feel the stress melt away, and the beer starts to taste better too.

I do exactly the same. Though I limit my beer intake to 1 maybe 2 before I play.
I like to be 100% alert on stage.

I also take about 20-30 to warm up. Stretch a little and sit with a pad and my trusty Ahead M1s. I'll go over paradiddles and other rudiments with a metronome until it's time to take the stage.

I never used to warm up before gigs, but I noticed that it would take me about 2 songs to get into the "zone", but warming up before the gig I'm there from the first beat.

Who could forget the pre-show enema?

Is that the butt kicker?

I try to get a few minutes to wash my hands after moving everything and walk around a bit. A few seconds of playing some rudiments on my knee when I sit down and then I try to concentrate on the leader and as Larry said, relax into the first song in my head so I don't count it off too fast.

I like to just warm up on a practice pad, and be by myself to go over things in my head. I have a lot of nervous energy before we start, and I can't talk to anybody. I like to sit, relax and sometimes close my eyes and do some visual imagery of me playing awesome in the show. It helps me go into the show and not burn the tempo on the first tune.

Pre gig routine:

1. Find the gig.

2. Down a couple of scotch and waters.

3. Try not to fall off the drum throne.

To get serious (when did I ever do that?), the only thing I really do is to check to see if every thing is in the right place. I might also bring a Sound Off pad for the snare and warm up a little. By the time I am set up, the other band members are there and I can't do much.

I usually follow Buddys advice here,and just take my hands out of my pockets.

Steve B

Last edited:
Three strong whiskey drinks and it's time to rock!

My only routine is no alcohol whatsoever, not even a beer. I had bad experiences with alcohol and playing, so I want to be at my full potential when I hit the stage

Who could forget the pre-show enema?

Yes, I failed to mention the pre-show enema as that was a given. I do follow up with the pre-show diaper for safety.

Last edited:
I always try to listen to music in a completely different mood than the music I am going to be playing. Right now I am playing in a folk rock band. Everything is very smooth, mellow, and pretty down tempo. So I will go for So Nirvana, Maybe a little rap. If I listen to similar music I always take that mood to the extreme when I play which for me is taking it too far. When I get to the venue I like to be the first one set up while everyone else is grabbing a beer. after I am set up I will get my beer while they are setting up. I generally have 1 or 2 really good beers. IPA is what I normally go for. then I do a sound check followed by 3-5 minutes of warming up. It sounds like a routine but it really just kind of happens. I always like to be the first person to have my stuff loaded up so Right after the set I am breaking down and carrying stuff out to my car. That away I can either go home and go to bed or enjoy the night out. Oh I forgot... I also need my pre-show enema.

Back