Losing that second crash cymbal

I got the basic setup of hats + ride + 2 cymbals.

I could (and would) eliminate the right hand one if I only found the perfect ride.

Personally I'd rather have a cymbal that I can pull different sounds of, than specific cymbals for each sound needed.

I'm picturing the first songs on your song list as;
Mississippi Queen
Honky Tonk Woman
American band

More cowbell!!!........ Terry

And a few more to complete the first set....
Long Cool Woman
American Woman
Sugar, Sugar
Superstition
I want to Hold Your Hand
Crimson and Clover
Come Together
Wooly Bully

I've only ever owned the minimum, ie 1 of everything (kick, snare, FT, Rack Tom, hats, crash and ride). I'm forever shifting it around London and thinking I must be mad and how much easier it is to be a bass player etc.

The carrying, set-up and set-down time alone is reason enough to keep the kit as simple as possible for me.

Props to those that can be bothered!

Davo

Apart from hats I have a 19" K and a 20" A that I use for both riding, crashing and anything inbetween.

I wouldn't mind adding my 6" splash (sorry Karl!), a China, a Dream Dark Energy flat ride, maybe my 16" 2002 ... I love cymbals but like many others I'd rather go easy on lugging, setup and tear down.

I use 2 crashes. I would hate only going right or left for a crash. Its nice to have it on the hi-hat side if I want a quick crash on an up-beat while playing the hats. I cant see having more than two crashes though.
Karl a gong???? what size do you have?

I haven't used a second crash in a live situation in a while. Initially for convenience getting to gigs in London and the cymbal bag being slightly lighter, but found that I didn't really miss having a second crash so I kept it at Hats, Ride and Crash since.

Over the years,I reduced the number of drums but I have kept the same cymbal setup. My main kit has a ride,hats,4 crashes,and a china.With my other kit, it's just hats,2 crashes and a ride.

Last edited:
I think that a anyone who is experienced can get away with using one crash. I definitely prefer two or more but I have no issue adjusting to one.

What I don't understand is the people who show up to gigs with hi-hats and a crash being their only cymbals. How anyone could play an entire show without a ride is baffling to me.

To me your kit should be no different than your playing. What I mean by that is your playing should be as much or as little as what is needed to serve the music. I think the kit if the same way. If the music you are playing does not require numerous cymbal or tom sounds, then you don't need them.

I used to only have one crash because I couldn't afford a second one, and it was really really really really annoying. So no thanks!

...now I have three! Woohoo!

I can absolutely understand your take on this Matt, your 24" K Light ride crashes beautifully, however, in a loud electric band, I have a much heavier ride (a Z3 22" medium heavy or a 20" K Custom are my choices) and crashing the ride is a much less satisfying experience (ie, very gong like).

I did however attempt to cut down my whole kit. The band are always ribing me about the size of my kit (3 up, 1 or 2 down, 3 crashes, china, ride, splash, all on a pearl icon rack) and the time it takes to set up and strip down, trying to persuade me to take it to a lower level. I know however that the footprint of the kit actually increases as a 4 piece- the icon is much neater and takes less floor space than the 4 piece with 3 cymbal stands.

Anyhow, we had a distant gig where the usual van that we use wasn't available, so I cut back to a 4 piece with 3 cymbals. Were the rest of the band impressed. Not a bit of it, they thought they missed the full voice of the big kit.....

Gutarists, never happy!

I tend to use my cymbals for both crashing and riding. I use an 18 in on my left and a 22 in on my right. 14 in hats in the ordinary place. With this setup i've yet to encounter any music that absolutely requires more. When i need a different crash or ride sound i just play the cymbal a little differently and can get what i need. There is so much variety achievable with a single cymbal that anything more really seems superfluous. Having said that i am thinking of adding a china, I know i dont need it but it seems like that would add more to the setup than getting another crash.

I only use one crash cymbal because I can only find one place that I like to put it. I mount it above my rack tom and its always readily accessible to whichever hand is free to hit it. There are times I'd like a second crash so I can hit a "fresh" cymbal while the main one decays, but I can't find a place to put it. In general, I've found I don't like medium-sized setups. Once I add anything, I feel like I should add everything. A four piece with one crash and one ride works. A six piece with two crashes, two rides, a china, and a splash works. Anything in between just feels weird.

I always had jusr two ctmbals and hats for years,but in the mid 70's expanded piece by piece to 5.I used 3 chashes,one 12" slpash and a ride and hats 2 up 2 down.

When I started playing again,it was a ride 3 chashes 1 china 2up 1 down,wich became 2 Down.Then 3 up two down 3 crashes,1 splash 1 ride and hats.

Now it's mostly 1 or 2 up ,1 or 2 down,2 chashes,1 splash,a ride and a china.Usually 1 up,1 down 2 chashes and a crash ride with my 60's Luddies or 70's Superstars

I might start scaling back even more,as I'm a big fan of a Band called "The Reefermen".Their drummer uses a vintage Ludwig 4 piece and 1 crash ride and a chash,both on the same side.They do mostly covers,and the Best Zepplin medley I've ever heard(mostly instrumental),and their lead guitarist is excellent.What this guy can do with just a Strat and tiny amp is amazing.

But I digress.Cocktail kits were all the rage in the 50's,and seem to be making a comeback,and most are just 1 crash/ride and hats,1 small snare and a floor tom/bass drum combo,with the pedal under the floor tom.

And then,there's Terry Bozzio and Mike Mangini who need a truck to move their kit.

I say play what makes you happy..Large or small ,whatever you play has to make you happy,or it's just a job.

Steve B

On my gig set I use a 4 piece kit with hi hats, 1 crash, 1 splash and a ride for the garage band because it's mostly covers and simpler music, and for the studio band gigs I'll take my 5 piece with hh's, 1 crash, a splash & a ride. I could bring 2 crashes just as easy, but it's not necessary.

I use either a a four or five piece kit with the hi hats and a a crash on the left, ride and crash on the right. That's the bare minimum for me.

Back