John Bonham

pdp 9091 said:
bonham only has one style....how is that possible...ask him this.,...

do any of the following grooves in these songs sonund similar at all
-achilles last stand
-fool in the rain
-i cant quit you baby
-the rover
-going to califronia

----------------------------------------------------------------

-achilles last stand - metal/hard rock groove
-fool in the rain- shuffle groove
- i cant quit you baby - blues groove
-the rover - solid groove
-going to california - no groove

This proves that we drummers should play more than spend time on the internet chatting about things!

fixmejesus said:
This proves that we drummers should play more than spend time on the internet chatting about things!

how do u say that....im just proving a point.....

isnt that what this site is for...chatting and discussing

i like it when people have suggested listening posts. it's educational.
how often did bonham use his gong? are there any good examples on the led zepplin dvd? looks like it would be difficult to incorportate tastefully.

pdp 9091 said:
how do u say that....im just proving a point.....

isnt that what this site is for...chatting and discussing

Heck, I agree with you, I'm just saying we drummers a better a drumming than agreeing with each other.

ewanlaing said:
i like it when people have suggested listening posts. it's educational.
how often did bonham use his gong? are there any good examples on the led zepplin dvd? looks like it would be difficult to incorportate tastefully.

in the song remains the same he lit his mallet on fire and the gong stand on fire at the end....but on the dvd he crashed it at the end of kashmir

Another great example of Bonham's influence. I don't recall anyone before him lighting their kits (or pieces of) on fire. Sure, maybe somebody did. But didn't get nearly the exposure John did. But I saw Alex V.H. light his cymbals on fire many years later.

aaahh. the who where kind of the pioneers of gear destruction,speaker blowing feedback endings

i think kieth moon even detonated his bass drum on a tv show, he even took out the guitarist while doing it

hmm... o ok what i've noticed on here is alot of people trying to say : Bonham is overated, Bonham isnt that good blah blah blah. Let's face the fact Bonham has influenced more drummers then anyone else, maybe even Buddy Rich. Artists that played in the same time period even say he was the greatest rock drummer ever. Billy Idol said " Rock 'n' Roll died when John Bonham died". Alex Van Halen would never be able to match John Bonham, he's just not powerfull enough, his drumming just didnt have the umph! that Johns had. I have some Alex Van halen solos and John Bonham solo's. John was much more creative the Alex. Alex was a great drummer but face it he was very repititive in alot of Van Halens songs. After reading John's biography "A thunder of drums" John never used the same beat twice he liked to be as original as possible. So to get to the facts John Bonham was the greatest Rock 'n' Roll drummer ever to play and always will be, no one will ever be able to match his loud, powerfull right foot triplets. Sure people can play them but not with the same amount of power. And his creative nature is just outstanding. Listen to Led Zeppelin's songs they all have there own personality.

low-tech said:
aaahh. the who where kind of the pioneers of gear destruction,speaker blowing feedback endings

i think kieth moon even detonated his bass drum on a tv show, he even took out the guitarist while doing it
Gear distruction is one thing. Pyrotechnics something else, unless the fire happens to consume your gear, which usually happens unplanned.

bonham990 said:
hmm... o ok what i've noticed on here is alot of people trying to say : Bonham is overated, Bonham isnt that good blah blah blah. Let's face the fact Bonham has influenced more drummers then anyone else, maybe even Buddy Rich. Artists that played in the same time period even say he was the greatest rock drummer ever. Billy Idol said " Rock 'n' Roll died when John Bonham died". Alex Van Halen would never be able to match John Bonham, he's just not powerfull enough, his drumming just didnt have the umph! that Johns had. I have some Alex Van halen solos and John Bonham solo's. John was much more creative the Alex. Alex was a great drummer but face it he was very repititive in alot of Van Halens songs. After reading John's biography "A thunder of drums" John never used the same beat twice he liked to be as original as possible. So to get to the facts John Bonham was the greatest Rock 'n' Roll drummer ever to play and always will be, no one will ever be able to match his loud, powerfull right foot triplets. Sure people can play them but not with the same amount of power. And his creative nature is just outstanding. Listen to Led Zeppelin's songs they all have there own personality.

The fact that most of the rock beats and grooves heard today, not to mention some r&b and rap, are direct ripoffs of Bonham proves the above post. We really do not hear much of Buddys stuff in these genres.

bonham990 said:
hmm... o ok what i've noticed on here is alot of people trying to say : Bonham is overated, Bonham isnt that good blah blah blah. Let's face the fact Bonham has influenced more drummers then anyone else, maybe even Buddy Rich. Artists that played in the same time period even say he was the greatest rock drummer ever. After reading John's biography "A thunder of drums" John never used the same beat twice he liked to be as original as possible.
Very good point. Rock back then was not about note-per-note perfection. Sure, you had to play the song so that at least the audience recognized it, but concert crowds(fans) weren't so AR as people are now.

bonham990 said:
So to get to the facts......no one will ever be able to match his loud, powerfull right foot triplets. Sure people can play them but not with the same amount of power.

uhh have u ever heard jojo mayer......his kick skills surpasses bonhams by far.....bonham is great at kick triplets but definatly people have matched it and surpassed it.

just watch this mayer video and ull see what i mean

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/jojomayerbasss.html

with the roll between hands and feet.....
what bonham does with 2 hands....hes does with 1 hand in this video

pdp 9091 said:
uhh have u ever heard jojo mayer......his kick skills surpasses bonhams by far.....bonham is great at kick triplets but definatly people have matched it and surpassed it.

just watch this mayer video and ull see what i mean

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/jojomayerbasss.html

with the roll between hands and feet.....
what bonham does with 2 hands....hes does with 1 hand in this video

Yes, Jojo Mayer is an amazing drummer. But what I think you are over looking here is that Bonham's foot was just as fast if not faster, without using the foot slide or heel toe technique that Jojo uses. Bonham used the toe technique or the ball of his foot on a Ludwig Speed King, not one of these state of the art pedals today. Most of the pedals out there today the technology is so good that you can't help but get doubles and tripletts with almost little or no effort.

pcmckay said:
Yes, Jojo Mayer is an amazing drummer. But what I think you are over looking here is that Bonham's foot was just as fast if not faster, without using the foot slide or heel toe technique that Jojo uses. Bonham used the toe technique or the ball of his foot on a Ludwig Speed King, not one of these state of the art pedals today. Most of the pedals out there today the technology is so good that you can't help but get doubles and tripletts with almost little or no effort.

ya i really didnt think of that at first but still...bonham had great foot speed but i think that there are a few drummers that are a little faster.

pdp 9091 said:
ya i really didnt think of that at first but still...bonham had great foot speed but i think that there are a few drummers that are a little faster.

I agree there are a lot of drummers out there today that in my opinon are doing mind boggling things with double and single bass drums, Jojo fits in that category. I don't mean to undermine Jojo, he is probably one of my favorite drummers out today. But this is the problem with trying to compare drummers of different decades. Considering the equipment that Bonham had it is incredible what he could do, nothing compared to the technology of today. Imagine what Bonham could have done with an Axis pedal! It's kind of like Jimi Hendrix, guitar technology today is unreal compared to the late 60's. Imagine what Jimi could do playing on a rig that we have today.

which is exactly why you cannot compare jojo to john. thirty years ago he was legendary on a bass drum...given his progress and that he had lived until today one can only imagine what he could have done. he was great in his time and jojo is great in his time now.

Originally Posted by bonham990
So to get to the facts......no one will ever be able to match his loud, powerfull right foot triplets. Sure people can play them but not with the same amount of power.

it is precisely this sort of unrealistic sentimentality that causes problems. i know with certainty that there are thousands of people on the planet right now who are better in every way than john bonham at single pedal technique. if anything i think this is a positive reflection of the effect he had.

j

ps: because we all should: see further ... stand on the shoulders of giants.

NUTHA JASON said:
which is exactly why you cannot compare jojo to john. thirty years ago he was legendary on a bass drum...given his progress and that he had lived until today one can only imagine what he could have done. he was great in his time and jojo is great in his time now.

I'd also suggest that while Bonham's right food was great by standards at the time for rock drummers there were also a number of jazz guys around at the time who had some absolutely blazing right foot chops going. I've mentioned him repeatedly, but how many of you young Bonhamites are actually familiar with Tony Williams?

What we can celebrate is that Bonham took Rock and Roll to another level. He took elements like those in Jazz and R&B artist you all keep talking about and integrated them into Rock and then into Heavy Metal and sparked the Gothic Rock movement. This is something the other bands and drummers at the time were lacking in.

Sure there might have been other artists as fast as Bonham with the feet, but thats not the point. Heck, tap dancers are faster with the feet supporting their weight standing up!

We elect 1 Miss USA, Universe every year even though there are still others who are just as beautiful on this planet, let alone the other planets out there.

I think it is safe to say that Bonham had the fastest right foot out there even though there might be a guy or gal or whatever from the fifth planet of cygnus that was slightly faster at the time.

This whole debate about the speed of Johns right foot reminds me of chidren arguing about who has the strongest dad or the biggest house or something like that.

Common Bonhamides, get a break - its completely irrelevant, isn't it? Who cares, if Johns foot was faster or slower than anybody elses foot? He played good times bad times and he sounded great.

I'm sure, that thousands of drummers can play that song, but the one on the record and in the band was John. Who gives a sh*t about how fast you can move your hands or feet, if you cannot turn it into music? John could, and thats what he was all about for me.

Same goes for any drummer I know. I don't care a bit about tech, if a drummer cannot use it musically. Thats why I'm a fan of Tony, Vinnie, Steve, JoJo or John - they have/had great technique and are/were able to turn it into great music. And besides: Tech is NOT only about speed. Its about sound, groove and control. Speed is a nice sideeffect of good technique.

Just my two cents on this.

Back