A very happy morning....

xsarith

Well I just received my new snare drum for my 18th birthday (I'm actually 18 tomorrow) Its a Tama SLP Power Maple.

I spent a long time going through snare drums to get the sound I wanted, an so I ended up at this beast. I'm glad I did too, even with the stock heads (Tama/Evans G1 and Hazy 300) this thing is beautiful, both in sound and ascetics.

The snare looks gorgeous, the finish to me gives it a smokey feel and the black hardware really adds to that effect. The sound is phenomenal too, the crack is cutting and I think it's safe to say that it will pierce right through my bands guitarist metal shredding. The 42 strands snare add an extreme amount of wetness to the sound, maybe even a little too much, I cant wait to get my preferred heads on it.

.......oh it also came with free "Super" MoonGel, any one else see the slight humor in that?

20130320_133229.jpg

20130320_133257.jpg

20130320_133422.jpg

20130320_133456.jpg

Lookin' good! Would really like to hear it after you tune it.

Cheers guys, I am now officially 18. :)

So for a drum update; I tuned it, still with the stock heads, and took it to band practice and Damn it was awesome, I was in a pretty reverberant room and it just made the drum so much better, an epic crack, with a pleasantly slight decay of the snares after, it sounded awesome However the drum sounded higher than I wanted it, so i might lower the tuning slightly, and the hazy side was tuned without removing the snares, which was pretty hard to do since the 42 wires cover the lugs next to it, so there's a bit of fine tuning nut it sounded great to me and the band.

I'll try and get a video/recording of the snare, but it most likely wont sound that good since it'll be on my phone, Im doing to live recording with my band soon were it'll be mic'd with a SM57.

EDIT: One gripe of the drum I don't like is the strainer, as it is increment styled and locks at each increment its takes a quite a bit more force to twist it which is a bit of a pain, the butt end is the same but much smoother and easier to move. Its not really a big problem to be honest, just a slight nuisance of them drum when adjusting the snare tension, I definitely like the benefits though.

Last edited:
Cheers guys, I am now officially 18. :)

So for a drum update; I tuned it, still with the stock heads, and took it to band practice and Damn it was awesome, I was in a pretty reverberant room and it just made the drum so much better, an epic crack, with a pleasantly slight decay of the snares after, it sounded awesome However the drum sounded higher than I wanted it, so i might lower the tuning slightly, and the hazy side was tuned without removing the snares, which was pretty hard to do since the 42 wires cover the lugs next to it, so there's a bit of fine tuning nut it sounded great to me and the band.

I'll try and get a video/recording of the snare, but it most likely wont sound that good since it'll be on my phone, Im doing to live recording with my band soon were it'll be mic'd with a SM57.

EDIT: One gripe of the drum I don't like is the strainer, as it is increment styled and locks at each increment its takes a quite a bit more force to twist it which is a bit of a pain, the butt end is the same but much smoother and easier to move. Its not really a big problem to be honest, just a slight nuisance of them drum when adjusting the snare tension, I definitely like the benefits though.

Congrats xsarith....................just a quick tip, when tuning the bottom head without removing the snares, you can take some paper towels and fold them underneath the snares. It dampens any resonance of the head, but you can at least here the tone at each lug and adjust accordingly. It's still better to remove the snares if you have the time.

What is "Super" moongel?

Congrats xsarith....................just a quick tip, when tuning the bottom head without removing the snares, you can take some paper towels and fold them underneath the snares. It dampens any resonance of the head, but you can at least here the tone at each lug and adjust accordingly. It's still better to remove the snares if you have the time.

What is "Super" moongel?

Thanks, and I hadn't really thought of that, I usually disengage the snares and put a drum stick across the drum so it rests on the rim but underneath the snares to create like a bridge, but its a bit of a hassle and I lose where the snare were set since I have to set it to no tension and disengage so the stick fits under, the paper towels might be a better solution.

Although with this drum since the wires are so wide they cover where if hit the head to tune the 4 lugs next to it, I have physically move and hold the snares out of the way so I can hit the head near the lug, I think you can see it in one of the pictures.

As for "super" moongel, I think they have upgraded the moongel and its just a marketing gimmick. It looks the exact same and same container as normal moongel, this one boasts that it'll stick on anything even reso heads or the underside of cymbals. Probably a gimmick.

Back