which custom drums company to go with?

I did a similar thing to what Larry did. I bought 10, 12, 15, 16, 20, 24 Tempus fiberglass shells and put the hardware on myself. Over all it was less than $3k for six drums, two of them bass drums. It's a great deal if you are handy and you INSPECT the products you buy before drilling/assembling.

How come all of the custom drum company's like tia drums and st drums have really fine exotic woods for shells, snd cost cheaper than say buying a sonor kit with maple shells??....

Attachments

• Cocobolos.jpg
    Cocobolos.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,751
  • segmentwen.jpg
    segmentwen.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,473
  • inlaywenredro.jpg
    inlaywenredro.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 2,035
How come all of the custom drum company's like tia drums and st drums have really fine exotic woods for shells, snd cost cheaper than say buying a sonor kit with maple shells??....

It all comes down to overhead and how a company allocates it's resources. Big companies have big bills and different expenses to cover. When you buy a Sonor kit you are getting an incredible set of drums, but a big chunk of what you are paying also goes to pay their artists, cover the discounted and free gear that gets sent out, the big R&D costs of making your own hardware and shells, the big overhead for having dealers, attending large trade shows, having large manufacturing facilities, and having staff that doesn't actually build stuff (the salary of the CEO, CFO, COO, production managers, R&D staff, traveling reps, and administrative staff all has to come out of the drums being sold).

When you buy from a small company with just a couple guys building drums, you just have to pay for their time and effort in building you a great set of drums. In my particular company we don't give away any free gear, all our endorsers buy our stuff, and there is nobody on staff that doesn't build drums. No fancy administrative overhead, no endorsement budget, no dealer markup because you can only buy direct, etc.

I'm not saying one way is better than the other, just different. You can't go play a set of Phattie's in your local guitar center, you can go play all the other big brands. There is a value to that, and you pay for that. There is a value to seeing fancy magazine advertisements, and a value to seeing your favorite company at NAMM each year. But, you pay for that value. The smaller shops building incredible drums for lower prices come with their own challenges.

Cliff notes: Overhead and company structure are why the prices are vastly different.

for a custom 3 piece in those sizes, I'd say you'd be looking at anywhere between 3-5 grand ($).

Maybe in the UK, but here in the US I got a 7pc custom set of Sonors for 5K....

F

I hate to be an incessant endorsee fly, but Pearl Masterworks. Seriously consider them when making a decision.

Maybe in the UK, but here in the US I got a 7pc custom set of Sonors for 5K....

F

Whoa... can I ask how? Because I built mine on Sonor's website and it said it would cost 26 grand in the US lol. I figured that would be retail/MSRP equivalent but down to FIVE GRAND? I want a 7 piece SQ2... really badly. Where did you get this pricing? Because I might scrap my idea of Unix if I find they can't build me an entire kit and get this... I figured I would be spending about 5 grand minimum for a smaller kit, but if I can get my 7-piece drum setup for that price there's almost no question in my mind I'll go SQ2. I even love my Force 3007s to death, I can't even imagine how much I'd love an SQ2.

1500.00 for a 3 piece can be done,and you will get a good sounding kit,but depending on your requirements may involve some compromises.The word "custom" leaves a wide margin of interpetation.Before the proliferation of small and boutique builders custom usually meant picking shells from predetermined sizes and putting a custom paint job or finish on them.Now the options are endless and can be overwhelming.Knowing what you want from a kit is a big factor with a custom build.If you want a good quality maple shell in specific sizes with a certain thickness and bearing edge in mind the Keller builders or" finishers"can be a great choice and within your price range.I think you could get close with a custom shell maker also,although your finish and hardware choices may be more limited.As mentioned before Eames is a good shell maker,I have a kit and they look great,and have a unique , to my ears, sound.Another good builder who's drums I have played is Rob Kampa at Magstar Custom drums,he does everything,from single ply to stave, segment,and keller shell builds.Rob can make you something crazy expensive,but is very good at working with people who are on a budget.Joe at Eames can work with you also,and both these builders have been around awhile and have a good reputation.Not to take away from other builders,or builders on this forum,I just happen to have experience with the two aforementioned builders .

I'd look at Canwood drums, they are based out of Canada which may pose a problem?

They use Keller shells so they are basically like any other boutique drum shop from that perspective, but i have had the opportunity to play one at a gig and they have blown all the other drums that i have had the chances to play ( played a Ayotte kit which is another custom company) out of the water. They have the look(my taste atleast) they have the sound and I believe they are quite affordable, i am in the midst of playing telephone tag with them right now!

Just thought id throw in my thought!!

Good luck in the search, it's a long one!
Brady

Sonors are nice, but super money for them, no matter where you live. Same with Craviotto: great sound, but serious money.

Just read up on Phattie Drums. Aren't they basically the same thing as Spaun Drums? Both use 8-ply Keller maple shells, both use dual 45 degree bearing edges, both have unlimited color/lighting options, etc. Both offer also solid lugs or brass tube lugs. And both are in the same price range/point. Don't really get what is the difference between the two.

If you are looking strictly at custom drums, you should consider longevity and reputation of the company too. If you are curious, look too at who plays the drums of a certain company: is there a lot of musical style diversity on the roster? Research them well. Places like Pork Pie and GMS both have used Keller shells, etc., but have been around since the 1980s and have earned a reputation for solid work from many serious drum professionals playing a variety of styles. Noble & Cooley has been around since the 19th century, basically ignited the custom drum movement, produced the first highly sought after steambent, solid-shelled snares and drums, and had drum inventor/guru Bob Gatzen working for them for a long while until he left for DW.

My impression is that companies like Spaun, Phattie, SJC, and the like cater to a specific audience and sound: (youngish) indie rock drummers. Not bashing those companies or that group of players, this is just my impression as evinced from the drum sound and the roster of endorsees listed. Phattie's site says that they avoid sharp bearing edges and opt for the double 45 to avoid higher frequencies and increase the punch of the drum's sound. This is great, if you are looking for that sound--a sound usually admired in rock styles. If you want a jazz sound, or maybe something big band or vintage, then sharp 45 edge or rounded 30 edges may be for you, since the classic sounds of early rock and main jazz were on Ludwig 3-ply kits (30 edges), Gretsch kits (fully rounded or 30 edges), or Sonor kits (sharper 45 edges)--edges and shells that tune up high rather than emphasizing punch.

I think you need first to figure out what kind of sound you want from your drums--that is, what musical styles will you be playing, in what situations, etc. This may help you determine which custom company is a good fit for you. Usually sound and then look/aesthetics are important to most players.

Last edited:
If you fancy yourself to be somewhat a handyman then you could buy yourself just the keller shells and then stain them to match or you could get acrylic and not have to worry about that. most places you can buy the shells will drill holes and cut edges and beds if you want them too. I know they're not from a custom company and you won't have any of those fancy badges but they are just about the most cost efficient i can find, especially if you reuse your current hardware (hoops, lugs, etc). I quoted 22x22, 10x8, and 16x16 drilled maple shells for about 400 bucks from www.drumgearonline.com, and www.drumfactorydirect.com has acrylics for sale, but those will be a little more of course.

If you fancy yourself to be somewhat a handyman then you could buy yourself just the keller shells and then stain them to match or you could get acrylic and not have to worry about that. most places you can buy the shells will drill holes and cut edges and beds if you want them too. I know they're not from a custom company and you won't have any of those fancy badges but they are just about the most cost efficient i can find, especially if you reuse your current hardware (hoops, lugs, etc). I quoted 22x22, 10x8, and 16x16 drilled maple shells for about 400 bucks from www.drumgearonline.com, and www.drumfactorydirect.com has acrylics for sale, but those will be a little more of course.

If I had the know how I definitely would try to make my own...

Chaos, i think the hardest part really would be finishing the drums. i know some guys that just spray painted theirs and they don't look too bad. there are all sorts of videos of people building drums from scratch (well, from shells). all you really need is a screwdriver and a drum key. You can buy the shells already drilled with holes so you wouldn't even have to measure where your lugs go. If there's a will, there's a way, ya know.

Sonors are nice, but super money for them, no matter where you live. Same with Craviotto: great sound, but serious money.

Just read up on Phattie Drums. Aren't they basically the same thing as Spaun Drums? Both use 8-ply Keller maple shells, both use dual 45 degree bearing edges, both have unlimited color/lighting options, etc. Both offer also solid lugs or brass tube lugs. And both are in the same price range/point. Don't really get what is the difference between the two.

If you are looking strictly at custom drums, you should consider longevity and reputation of the company too. If you are curious, look too at who plays the drums of a certain company: is there a lot of musical style diversity on the roster? Research them well. Places like Pork Pie and GMS both have used Keller shells, etc., but have been around since the 1980s and have earned a reputation for solid work from many serious drum professionals playing a variety of styles. Noble & Cooley has been around since the 19th century, basically ignited the custom drum movement, produced the first highly sought after steambent, solid-shelled snares and drums, and had drum inventor/guru Bob Gatzen working for them for a long while until he left for DW.

My impression is that companies like Spaun, Phattie, SJC, and the like cater to a specific audience and sound: (youngish) indie rock drummers. Not bashing those companies or that group of players, this is just my impression as evinced from the drum sound and the roster of endorsees listed. Phattie's site says that they avoid sharp bearing edges and opt for the double 45 to avoid higher frequencies and increase the punch of the drum's sound. This is great, if you are looking for that sound--a sound usually admired in rock styles. If you want a jazz sound, or maybe something big band or vintage, then sharp 45 edge or rounded 30 edges may be for you, since the classic sounds of early rock and main jazz were on Ludwig 3-ply kits (30 edges), Gretsch kits (fully rounded or 30 edges), or Sonor kits (sharper 45 edges)--edges and shells that tune up high rather than emphasizing punch.

I think you need first to figure out what kind of sound you want from your drums--that is, what musical styles will you be playing, in what situations, etc. This may help you determine which custom company is a good fit for you. Usually sound and then look/aesthetics are important to most players.

Just a few minor points of clarity. Phattie's use 6-ply toms and 10-ply snare drums standard, while the Spaun drums are 8-ply on everything. The Phattie dual 45 bearing edge has a much broader/rounder point as well, combined with the thinner tom shells it gives a different sound, where the sharper Spaun edge is a little more open (and yet focused due to the thicker shells). Also, if I'm not mistaken, outside of snare drums spaun only uses tube lugs on the TL Series drums made in Mexico.

The point about Phattie's being tailored to a rock sound is dead on, that's why Black Label drums have thicker shells, sharper edges, and that classic wide-open sound, there are some sound clips and more info about Black Label here.

*I hope this was an informative post, the intent is not a shameless plug.

what are some good affordable companies out there?

Well no matter what custom company you go for, it will be expensive. The point of a custom kit is get it made to your exact specifications. Rather than getting a £700 shell pack, you'd be getting the wood, hoops, hardware, sizes, heads etc that you want to use.

xoxo

Have you looked into Eames drums from New England?
They're very nice and he's been around for quite a long time. http://www.eamesdrumshells.com/

+1. They've been making their own shells for 60 years. I have two colleagues who own Eames kits and they're both killer.

If I ever went custom I'd go with a maker who actually makes their own shells, or to get something I couldn't get from the major manufacturers, such as stave kits. Otherwise you're paying a shitload of money for somebody else to finish and hang some hardware on generic shells.

Im going to be thinking about getting some custom drums in the future, but im not sure which company to go with. Im not so worried about going with the super big name people but I definitely want quality and affordable drums.

How do acrylic drums compare to the typical keller wood maple shells as far as sound?

what are some good affordable companies out there?

thanks!

Well man personaly my favorite custom brand is deffinatly "Truth"
But I guess it all depends what music your playing cause Truth and very good for. Punk Rock, Modern Rock, Metal. ... Jazz I would not suggest these drums for Jazz at all haha they have too heavy of a sound.

Back