First pictures - Guru Origin series - Drummerworld exclusive!

...He immediately wanted to buy it :)

The assitant editor's comment says a lot about the Origin serie, isn't it, from your comment earlier in the thread re: the bass drum test at your rehearsal place, it sounded very positive indeed,(and the Spaun is not a bad kit by anyone standard), I'm glad it went well as far as testing the Guru's new line, at least they were impressed with the sound and the tuning abilities, it's a good vibe for the review, let's keep our fingers cross, but in any case it won't be a bad review, that's for sure. Incidentally, what's the snare with the kit Andy? Did you chose one that was specifically souding good for the testing? Did you had other snares?

Nevermind about the pic out of focus, the kit scream "play me, play me", absolutely gorgeous :)

Well done Andy, you must be relieved a bit now, it was a tough race to get the 1st Origin kit ready, but you delivered it , kudos to you and Dean...

The assitant editor's comment says a lot about the Origin serie, isn't it, from your comment earlier in the thread re: the bass drum test at your rehearsal place, it sounded very positive indeed,(and the Spaun is not a bad kit by anyone standard), I'm glad it went well as far as testing the Guru's new line, at least they were impressed with the sound and the tuning abilities, it's a good vibe for the review, let's keep our fingers cross, but in any case it won't be a bad review, that's for sure. Incidentally, what's the snare with the kit Andy? Did you chose one that was specifically souding good for the testing? Did you had other snares?

Nevermind about the pic out of focus, the kit scream "play me, play me", absolutely gorgeous :)

Well done Andy, you must be relieved a bit now, it was a tough race to get the 1st Origin kit ready, but you delivered it , kudos to you and Dean...
Thanks Henri :)

I chose the snare (my personal ebony stave) based mainly on it's colour not clashing too much with the padauk of the kit. Not the best choice sonically, especially in that room, as it's so freakin' loud & cutting. That said, they want to review the snare as a separate entity sometime, as both players fell in love with it :)

This is too cool. Like watching a new drum concept traveling through the birth canal to emerge on the pages of Drummer Magazine.

The big question is....When you get 10,000 orders after the article hits....

A. Are you guys ready to handle that kind of production?

B. Can I get a job?

People will want this kit. At this point, it's all in the advertising. I mean a crap product could make a mint with the right advertising. When you have a great product, you have to have a great ad campaign, that educates people to the science behind the design. Given a great ad campaign, I cannot see how it can lose.

I mean the sound alone will probably be all the ad you need, but for those who cannot try them in person, that's who you have to win over. Which should be easy when you have a winning product.

Wow, massively late to the party here, but jeez, those are seriously serious drums. Man, where to start ... beautiful and stunning. I love all the bare wood. One could really learn to hate traditional shell hardware after seeing those.

I'm surprised to see S-Hoops on there. I use them on both my snare batters, and love them, but haven't tried them on toms. Interesting choice. I was a little surprised at the gap between the inside edge of the hoop and the head, so I got the impression that these shells aren't slightly undersized like what Premier used to make. How does the shell outside diameter compare with what's typically seen on the market nowadays? About the same or slightly larger?

Can't wait to read about them in Drummer!

The true test is "How do they sound?"
"In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not".
I'd love to hear some sound clips. :)

Last edited:
"In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not".
I'd love to here some sound clips. :)

The prototypes sounded incredible and are told these sound even better. I know personally from owning a set of radials that just removing all the hardware and holes from the shells makes a huge difference in sound. Now add stave and steam bent shells instead of ply and well, WOW...lol

Last edited:
I know personally from owning a set of radials that just removing all the hardware and holes from the shells makes a huge difference in sound.
Absolutely!

It's the only test :)

Why not build a snare the same as the drums?
It's in the works, c/w floating strainer :)

One could really learn to hate traditional shell hardware after seeing those.
:) :) :)

I'm surprised to see S-Hoops on there. I use them on both my snare batters, and love them, but haven't tried them on toms. Interesting choice. I was a little surprised at the gap between the inside edge of the hoop and the head, so I got the impression that these shells aren't slightly undersized like what Premier used to make. How does the shell outside diameter compare with what's typically seen on the market nowadays? About the same or slightly larger?
S hoops were specifically chosen to focus the sound more than triple flange, but not as much as die cast. Customers can order triple flange if they wish. This is the Performance range kit of the series. Designed to punch out acoustically, but also dial directly in when under mic's. The S hoops fit it's character perfectly, unless you want ultimate head sustain, then you go for triple flange.

Shells are only undersize by 2mm, but that's not relative to the bearing edge. The size of gap between the hoop rim & head is typically less on snares due to the higher head tensions.

This is too cool. Like watching a new drum concept traveling through the birth canal to emerge on the pages of Drummer Magazine.

The big question is....When you get 10,000 orders after the article hits....

A. Are you guys ready to handle that kind of production?
Ready for those levels of production = no way, but that's not going to happen Larry. If I was being very generous, I'd estimate this drum series would only appeal to less than half of 1 percent of drum buyers, & only a few of them would actually buy. These are expensive drums by any measure. IMO, more than justifiably so. Think Craviotto money, & you're in the right range.

B. Can I get a job?
If we get substantial US interest, I can't think of a better ambassador Larry :)

After a close look at those pictures i can see these are cheap keller shells with a fake wood wrap!!! hahaha Im just mad because I keep opening this thread to look at the damn pictures, I love these drums!!!!!!

It sounds as though the drum testers from the magazine were very impressed with the kit Andy. How could you not be? My jaw would have hit the floor! Did you notice them looking at each other and oogling like little school children when they played it? I know I would be :) If that kit was available right now, I would sell my DW's in a heartbeat and buy it. Everything about it is right up my alley.

A comment about the S-hoop and something that you may have already considered.... I had one on my snare for a while. I loved it, it sounded great and performed as advertised (they actually use my comment in their testimonials on their home page). The only down side to it was that it was difficult if not impossible to attach a clip on microphone to it (the ones that clip over the top of the rim and are pliable enough to bend and attach under the bottom of the rim). I am at the mercy of different sound companies at various gigs and sometimes the company uses those types of clip on mic's. That was a little bit of an issue every now and then. Have you thought about that at all or has anyone mentioned it before?

By the way, my name is Clint, just thought I'd personalize this post since I have been calling you Andy :)

A comment about the S-hoop
The only down side to it was that it was difficult if not impossible to attach a clip on microphone to it
Cheers Clint. Yes, I've considered that, & it actually causes me an issue with my personal kit. My new live kit will have triple flange hoops fitted for general gigging. partially for that reason, but partially because I want to release more of the open feel available from these drums. My new kit will be a custom version of the performance range (available to anyone). It's made of satinwood. Think of it as maple on steroids :)

If that kit was available right now, I would sell my DW's in a heartbeat and buy it. Everything about it is right up my alley.
Pity you can't make the LDS :( Or if you really tried?

After a close look at those pictures i can see these are cheap keller shells with a fake wood wrap!!! hahaha Im just mad because I keep opening this thread to look at the damn pictures, I love these drums!!!!!!
I'm a big fan of well crafted Keller shelled drums. My Spauns have served me well as a gigging kit, but I must admit, they're totally outclassed by Origin :)

The word that comes to mind after gazing upon your masterpieces is "elegant". If James Bond had been a drummer he would have played a kit like this. They have a simplicity that only superior design and craftsmanship can pull off. I can't wait to hear sound files of these babies in action. I can't stop going to the beginning of the thread. Congratulations on such great work!

Ok, here it is, for me, probably the most important thread I've ever put up here. These pictures are not of the production kit, but not far off. We attempted to fast track 2 kits for early press review, unfortunately, we failed, but we will be ready for our October London Drum Show launch. However, we did manage to get this pre production kit up to scratch for review. There will be changes in production, most noticeably chrome plating of the aluminium hardware (these are polished aluminium), & equal proportions to the bass drum external rerings. This is the performance range kit in the Origin series. Classic range & custom range currently in first production.

Spec's:

All padauk 6mm thick vertical grain stave, rim vented, & with padauk rerings. Natural buffed clear wax finish.

All hardware aluminium machined from solid, made in the UK, & bespoke to Origin series. M5 threads.

Hoop options available, but this model fitted with genuine "S" hoops as standard.

22" x 16" Guru signature padauk segmented hoops.
16" x 15"
14" x 13"
12" x 8"

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice no bolting or screws through the shell, not even bass drum spur or floor tom leg brackets, they're free from the shell too. This is the core design focus of the Origin series. Special RIMS mount lugs allow the toms to be lifted straight out of the mount, & offer improved isolation from traditional tension screw mounted rims & all other suspension mount designs.

This is me & Dean laid bare. It's our best shot, & it's taken every ounce of energy out of us. Literally thousands of hours A - B testing every tiny detail of the design. The best stuff is yet to come, but as I promised to everyone here, here's your early heads up. Thank you all so much for putting up with my design & features questions, you've helped much more than you think.

Andy & Dean.

Jaw-dropping great. These are the only drums I would trade my ironwood set for. What the Peavy Radials should have been. Wow, just wow. Incredible workmanship, stave construction, innovative function, the drums hit it on all cylinders.

Jaw-dropping great. These are the only drums I would trade my ironwood set for.
the drums hit it on all cylinders.
Wow, praise indeed :) For you to even contemplate a change from your beloved ironwood beauties, we must be doing something right :)

They have a simplicity that only superior design and craftsmanship can pull off.
That's a wonderful thing to say, thank you :)

Those drums look so good! I have GOT to try them!
Yes you do Mikey. Come on over to the LDS in October. You know you want to ;) ;) ;)

it's just too distinctive and innovative to be ignored.
I hope you're right Clint. If we've nailed this, innovation should take a back seat to the end result, & that's the sound!

Oh, FYI, I have just googled LDC to try and hook some tickets up, and Guru's big launch comes up as a direct link from google, right at the top. Props!!!!
Yes, I know, we're super pleased with that. It's been on the front page of the Google LDS search for the past month or so :)

Thank you too for your kind words, & We'd love to receive you at LDS. There's a good few other Drummerworld members coming out for this too, including Henri making the trip from France, so we're set for some good fun!

P.S. I just got the copy through of the technical details to accompany our review in Drummer magazine for me to check over. Although there's not any opinion content in the text, it does have hints of a positive vibe :) The suspense is killing me! At least it's good to know that this review is strictly independent of influence, but it's still our future hanging on the opinion of one man. That said, he's a very talented player + experienced reviewer, & I was certainly impressed with his attention to detail. I think it's good for us to get a real world straight opinion, as we're often too close to the action to be truly objective.

Back