DW Performance and Collectors

qiewie99

How is difference between Performance series and Collectors series?
If the sound's great as Collectors series why dont we take a Performance series?

I don't know about them much. Does anyone can give me some ideas?
If money doesn't a big issue.
Thanks.

Looking at DW's site, it looks like your only choice for Performance drums is maple, plus smaller turret lugs, and a limited amount of finishes. The Collectors give you alot more options to customize your kit. Which probably means more hands are involved in the creation of your kit and more time. I've not looked into the pricing, is it that substantially different when comparing, say, five-piece kits?

Looking at DW's site, it looks like your only choice for Performance drums is... smaller turret lugs,

I predict these will actually become an option on Collectors and be the most popular lug. Much better size than the regular IMO, for the design that it is.

Was looking on the video present at the front page. They said the best drum's sound with affordable price. So I'm not sure is the Performance series that good if comparing with the Collectors series.

I think it's obvious DW will say the best things about all the products they make, and you have to be losing out on something if the price gap between the two lines is so striking. Maybe look at them as "Not PDP but not Collector's", like when Ludwig introduced their "Standard" line (or re-introduced them back in the early '80s).

However, and I like a high-end kit as much as the next guy, drums are drums. They can be made to sound good, as opposed to cymbals which can't be improved once leaving the vault (or where ever they're kept before shipment). So, if you can't tune 'em and play' em right, it won't really matter.

I guess the only way to form an opinion is to check the drums in some drumshop. From what I checked last Saturday - I prefer a Saturn...

Had a chance to spend some time with a performance kit at GC.
I Have have a standard collector, an all vlt collectors, and vlt,x,vlx hybrid. The performance sounds more like the vlt collectors, they may even tune a bit lower like an X shell.
Try them at a GC, they sound really good. I think the finishes are blah, they should just offer the finish ply on them. Small lugs look good, and they tuned really easy for me.

The shells for the Performance Series are called HVX. A different shell construction that is unique to the line.

They sound like Maple drums. If you like Maple, you are in. What is wrong with the finish, :( Not everyone likes sparkles you know. :)

Oh, and I like the smaller lug. Should offer it in Black though. The lug that is.

I struggled with this same thought... I bought used Collectors in the end.

- Are you already a decent drummer

- Do you have a lot of money

- You in a band, have career goals of being a drummer

So if your just getting started drumming within the last couple of years do you need a collectors kit? If money is no object, in life you truley get what you pay for...

Don't get hung up on thinking the drums make the drummer... its the oposite, The Drummer makes the Kit. Think about whomever your favorite drummer is... He/She will most probably be able to kick ass on almost any kit, shoot, what about those killer drummers who use buckets and still rock the crap out of it.

Don't spend a ton of money until you will benefit the most from doing it.

DW wanted to get in on the mid priced, in stock, shell pack market segment. Pearl has the MCX which was my choice at the time. This covers a big segment of the drum buyer market. Manufacturers offer shell packs with limited finished for a good price. DW uses their own x ply bling. The drums sounded great to me when I tried them at GC. They are selling more than they can produce so it's working, but right now the back orders are defeating the concept. I imagine not all finishes are back ordered but I dont know. Either way they are selling. If they didnt sound great they wouldnt be selling. And are some on ebay as well.
I got a great sounding maple kit with a lovely exotic finish from Pearl for a stupid cheap price. Had the DW performance series been out at the time I may very well have gone that way and screw the fancy finish. To my ear the DW's sound really good. Snare wasnt special but I think with some tweaking who knows. Frankly I never even looked at the finish or lugs or anything. I just sat and played and enjoyed.

The Performer series is the Pacific high end kit fitted with DW lugs and badge. From my experience in the drum shop the original did not sell. Nobody bought one. Not one!

Last edited:
The Performer series is the Pacific high end kit fitted with DW lugs and badge. From my experience in the drum shop the original did not sell. Nobody bought one. Not one!

Performance series has a different shell orientation than the Pacific kit. Not the same shell.

They're not really rolling off the shelves at the Five Star shops I visit. I really like some of DW's offerings, but I just can't warm up to the Performance series, and I've tried more than a few times. I'm not really into Pearl drums, but I would take their Masters MCX over the DW Performance.

Dennis

They're not really rolling off the shelves at the Five Star shops I visit. I really like some of DW's offerings, but I just can't warm up to the Performance series, and I've tried more than a few times. I'm not really into Pearl drums, but I would take their Masters MCX over the DW Performance.

Dennis

Well I am firmly a Pearl guy and I may get a Performance kit at some point. Or a saturn kit. Or some Renowns. Or or or..so many nice kits available at reasonable prices!

Well I am firmly a Pearl guy and I may get a Performance kit at some point. Or a saturn kit. Or some Renowns. Or or or..so many nice kits available at reasonable prices!
Saturn baby, Saturn. You can't beat the walnut. Long live Walnut. :)

I finally saw one of the Performance kits in person and I really liked the looks of it.
The finish was real nice, the lug looked great too.

The different shell make up is cool, but they kinda just sounded like regular Maple drums to me.
Tuning, heads, playing style is going to be different for everyone, so the drums will sound a little different between anyone who plays them.
I'd sound like ME playing a Collectors, a Performance or any other brand...(weather that's good or bad...ha!).

I look at it as you're getting a DW maple shell, you're getting a DW edge, the suspension mount is the same, the tuning rods are the same, spurs etc...

The shells are not timber matched, the shells only come in a few colors, and you aren't paying for a specialized paint job....

I'd think MANY people will like the smaller lug, and personally, I could take or leave the re-ring shell. I like their straight shells better.

If I was looking for a DW kit in the sizes the Performance comes in, and I wanted/liked one of the colors, I'd get one over a Collectors. The price would be better, but I like this lug a lot more than the standard DW lug--everything else being basically equal in things that matter..new kit vs. new kit, I'd go for a Performance kit.

Got a chance to play a Performance set and a Gretsch renown this weekend and was suprised..I didn't expect either to sound any better then my Sonor 3007's however the DW did... I may have to upgrade to them now..the 24" bass I played was frickin unreal so low and boomy...I love my 3007's and always thought since DW announced they were coming out with these it would be a lateral move if I were to get them...may be time to start saving my pennies and get rid of some snares..I aso played a reknown set and thought my 3007's held up to them real nice, it was very close to my 3007's size wise and sound.

Back