Weight Training in Relation to Drumming

Chrispb7

Hi guys.

What would you say are some things in weight training you would want to avoid for the
sake of your drumming?

I've heard that building forearm muscles will increase your strength but ultimately slow
your muscles so you can't play as fast. I've heard this about using metal sticks too,

Any ideas?

Do more cardio/aerobic type stuff. As in, kayaking versus weight lifting. Do things that your body would do naturally, it'll build up the right muscles, get you out more and build up your agility. This was in a recent interview of a drummer (forgot which, sorry) by Guitar Center. The guy works out his arms by rolling boulders around his property.

The magazine Drumhead, has a series in every magazine, 6 issues per year, that has to do with exercise and fitness. I would work on legs more than arms. You don't need to be too strong to move sticks that weigh ounces. This has been discussed in here many times.

Building forearm muscle is a good idea, but it can be done wrong.

If you want to work your forearms without sacrificing speed (actually, to increase speed), you have to work them as a fast switch muscle group, not slow twitch as with other muscles.

once again, drumming is all about technique and skill, not about strength, even for hard hitters. if you want to help your drumming by lifting weights, i would say the main thing is to avoid injuring yourself.

Back