Jazz, Metal, Fusion Drummer from Columbus, Ohio

Hi Everyone!

My name is Geoff and I'm a drummer of about 15 years from Columbus, Ohio. I just recorded a new drum cover of The Woven Web by Animals as Leaders. I've recorded a few covers, but this is the first that I'm truly proud of. Please have a look and let me know what you think! If you're interested, I also posted a lesson video that explains how to play the song. It will appear as a link across my video when you get to YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DS7X0SHPWE

I just moved and have a dedicated practice space, so I hope to post more covers and lessons. If you have any songs you would like to see covered or turned into a lesson, please let me know.

Thanks a lot!

Geoff

That's a good video, you should be proud. It's nice to see someone else with several brands of Cym. I thought your playing was real good, as well as the audio, and video quality. I've never heard that band before.

Thanks a ton! Yep, I've changed my cymbal preferences a lot over the years. Started with Zildjian, went to Paiste, moved on to Sabian and Meinl and am now lost somewhere in between :) Do you have a favorite or do you go for whatever sounds good at the time?

Also, do you have any videos on here? I'd love to see them.

Thanks!

Geoff

That's a good video, you should be proud. It's nice to see someone else with several brands of Cym. I thought your playing was real good, as well as the audio, and video quality. I've never heard that band before.
Never heard AAL?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXafRKe9klA You click that link and listen NAOW!

As to OP Geoff welcome to the forum! Nice playing dude, I'm not a fan of covers but ya did good. Saw your tempting time cover and can see some influence on your set up. Rudinger, Orbin or Mangini?

Thanks a lot for the kind words. Yeah influences definitely include Mangini and Orbin. Although Orbin has only become an influence more recently over the last year or two as his YouTube channel has become more prominent. He's pretty amazing though.

I grew up idolizing Marco Minnemann, Mike Mangini, Virgil Donati, and Thomas Lang - all those independence wizards. I also enjoy Jojo Mayer, Johnny Rabb, Benny Greb, Vinnie Colaiuta, Horacio Hernandez and Terry Bozzio.

Again, I'm glad you liked the cover. As you can tell I've been trying to post covers for a while now - but until recently I didn't have the knowledge of cameras or audio recording, so I've had to learn as I go. Hopefully, now my skills are up to par with some of the other good drum cover guys out there. And, I'm sure I'll have more Animals as Leaders covers in the near future, too. They're really amazing. A friend introduced me to them a few years ago after the first album came out and I've been in love ever since :)

I'm currently working on a Harvey Wallbanger by Chimp Spanner and Accelerated Evolution by The Faceless. So, hopefully those are up your alley.

Thanks!

Thanks a ton! Yep, I've changed my cymbal preferences a lot over the years. Started with Zildjian, went to Paiste, moved on to Sabian and Meinl and am now lost somewhere in between :) Do you have a favorite or do you go for whatever sounds good at the time?

Also, do you have any videos on here? I'd love to see them.

Thanks!

Geoff

Cymbals. I've never bought more than one at a time, except for hats. So I've ended up with a bunch of pies that I like, but not sets of cymbals. I have a Paiste Sig. 18" full crash that is my main crash, the others just fall in around it.
Videos. I've posted some here. I'm not sure how to look them up, but here is a link to my youtube page. https://www.youtube.com/user/southpaw304/videos Nothing fancy just some simple rock songs.

Never heard AAL?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXafRKe9klA You click that link and listen NAOW!

As to OP Geoff welcome to the forum! Nice playing dude, I'm not a fan of covers but ya did good. Saw your tempting time cover and can see some influence on your set up. Rudinger, Orbin or Mangini?

That's good stuff. It reminds me of some fusion I listened to in the 80's. Steve Morse Band and the like.

That's good stuff. It reminds me of some fusion I listened to in the 80's. Steve Morse Band and the like.
Yes yes enjoy AAL is amazing, I linked you with their debut because it's a lot more jazzy. They have two other new albums that you should check out as well.

Thanks a lot for the kind words. Yeah influences definitely include Mangini and Orbin. Although Orbin has only become an influence more recently over the last year or two as his YouTube channel has become more prominent. He's pretty amazing though.

I grew up idolizing Marco Minnemann, Mike Mangini, Virgil Donati, and Thomas Lang - all those independence wizards. I also enjoy Jojo Mayer, Johnny Rabb, Benny Greb, Vinnie Colaiuta, Horacio Hernandez and Terry Bozzio.

Again, I'm glad you liked the cover. As you can tell I've been trying to post covers for a while now - but until recently I didn't have the knowledge of cameras or audio recording, so I've had to learn as I go. Hopefully, now my skills are up to par with some of the other good drum cover guys out there. And, I'm sure I'll have more Animals as Leaders covers in the near future, too. They're really amazing. A friend introduced me to them a few years ago after the first album came out and I've been in love ever since :)

I'm currently working on a Harvey Wallbanger by Chimp Spanner and Accelerated Evolution by The Faceless. So, hopefully those are up your alley.

Thanks!
Ahh man no problem, and mangini and orbin are beasts. Benny Greb is also one of my favorite drummers. But really don't go down the "drum cover" path, make some jams and join a band or something. Session work is also awesome but covers are just a nooo

Cymbals. I've never bought more than one at a time, except for hats. So I've ended up with a bunch of pies that I like, but not sets of cymbals. I have a Paiste Sig. 18" full crash that is my main crash, the others just fall in around it.
Videos. I've posted some here. I'm not sure how to look them up, but here is a link to my youtube page. https://www.youtube.com/user/southpaw304/videos Nothing fancy just some simple rock songs.

Thanks for sharing your videos. You have more than I realized out there! Nice drummin'! I especially like your Spin Doctors cover. I must admit that I kinda love them. I miss the days when the music on the radio just had more oomph like it did in their era. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Spin Doctors? Count me in.

Anyway, you've got a new subscriber in me!

Thanks for sharing your videos. You have more than I realized out there! Nice drummin'! I especially like your Spin Doctors cover. I must admit that I kinda love them. I miss the days when the music on the radio just had more oomph like it did in their era. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Spin Doctors? Count me in.

Anyway, you've got a new subscriber in me!

Thank you Gatts. I don't really do much with the youtube page. I just thought it would be fun to make some vids and show them on the forum once in a while. I need to make a new one, it's been a while. andresdrummer is a drummer on here that puts up a lot of vids that I like to watch. He's pretty good.

Back