Add to existing kit or buy another kit?

8Mile

Platinum Member
I'm asking a question that has no right answer, but here goes anyway. I own drums in 12/13/16/22 but generally play it as a four-piece in a 13/16/22 configuration. I'm seriously thinking about a 12/14/18 or 12/14/20 kit. So here's my dilemma: Buy an add-on 14" FT and 18" BD, or buy a completely different kit? Here's how I'm breaking it down adding on to the existing kit:

Advantages:

1) I love my Ludwig CMs. Just love 'em. Having my "bop" kit in these drums would be perfect.

2) I'd have the makings of a 7 piece, double-bass kit if I wanted to put it all together (maybe better to go with 22/20 but 22/18 could work, I guess).

Disadvantages:

1) Price. Buying a configuration got me a nice discount when I bought my kit. But to add component drums is way pricey.

2) It might be fun to shop for something completely different, like a different brand, finish or even a vintage or used kit. Variety and whatnot.

Now, I don't urgently need to get any new drums. But I've always wanted a kit in smaller sizes. And I have the means to do it right now, so I'm very tempted to take the plunge while I can.

I'm on the fence and can't decide. Please persuade me one way or the other so I can make up my mind. Thanks!

If it were me, then I'd be much happier getting an entire set because then it would always be set up. ;) That way I could play either of the 2 kits any time I wanted - even right in the middle of a solo practice session.

I'd totally "add on". Shop for "used" orphan drums on eBay, to help defray the cost, if you need to.​
My Luddie kit was "originally" 26, 13, 16, 18. Then I scored a 14x14 FT that matched. Then a 12x8. Now I'm turning a 18" floor into a 18x12 "jazzette" kick ... badda-bing, badda-boom, 7 drums, for all occasions.​

Time to evangelize the Sonor Safari kit again..... or the Sonor Bop.

10/14/16 with 14 snare for Safari: $339
12/14/18 with 14 snare for Bop: $399

And shipping is even free....

I think it's becoming my mission to get as many people on these little kits as I can. Then I'd want us all to get together for a Safari party with all the drums too! A Safari convention, if you will ;)

I would add on. This is what I did. I started with (2)22,12,13,16. When it was all said and done I wound up with 22,10,12,13,14,16x16, and 16x13. I had the options of setting my kit up any which way I wanted and I loved it. I searched ebay every free minute I had and found all the pieces over a few months and saved a ton of money.

Man, I was hoping for a consensus! I guess I'll have to make up my own mind. That's never a good thing....

What about a 10/14/18 or 10/14/20 shell pack that matches your existing set? That'll give you the bop kit and the ability to mix and match into your existing set.

Well, no luck on finding a shell pack that has what I'm looking for. The shell packs available include more drums than I need. I just want a 14x18 (or 14x20) bass drum and a 14x14 floor tom. Don't need a rack tom or snare drum and most include both.

I'm really torn. I'm seriously thinking about placing the order for the additions through my local shop this week. But the component drum prices are high. Ugh.

@8Mile -

I've had a ton of customers land in the same predicament. As far as adding on goes, what finish is your other drums? I would say that's the largest determiner on whether you add on or build new. Sorry if I missed these details in other comments from this thread.

Let me know. You can also e-mail me if you have any questions
john{at}gdmdvd{dot}com

@8Mile -

I've had a ton of customers land in the same predicament. As far as adding on goes, what finish is your other drums? I would say that's the largest determiner on whether you add on or build new. Sorry if I missed these details in other comments from this thread.

Let me know. You can also e-mail me if you have any questions
john{at}gdmdvd{dot}com

My set is in WMP, which I think that's about as non-problematic a finish as possible. I just bought the set last year and it hasn't even seen a live gig yet, so matching concerns should not be a problem.

Time to evangelize the Sonor Safari kit again..... or the Sonor Bop.

10/14/16 with 14 snare for Safari: $339
12/14/18 with 14 snare for Bop: $399

And shipping is even free....

I think it's becoming my mission to get as many people on these little kits as I can. Then I'd want us all to get together for a Safari party with all the drums too! A Safari convention, if you will ;)

Have you used the Safari kit for a gig yet? If so, how was it?

Made up my mind and decided to pull the trigger and order the component drums today. Can't wait!

Back