New Kit. Help!!!

chrisk301

I'm looking for a kit that will last me for at least the next 5 years. I'm going to college soon and want it to last me until I get out and have a job and can hopefully afford something insane. I'm 19 and have been playing for about 3 years. I'm using a generic Gammon entry level set, but now I'm in a band and need something new.

I have hardware, cymbals, all that because I've upgraded all of that along the way. All I'm looking for is a shell pack. I was originally looking at tama superstar hyperdrives for the last few months, but now I start to wonder what else is out there. I saw pro-m's are discontinued and can be grabbed at a steal as well. I have about 800-1200 to spend. Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

whats the reason to ignore tama swingstars?

as far as i have experienced.. those are the best you can get at that respective price

well. sound aside.. ofcourse its awesome.. but i will give it plus points for its looks.! beautiful lugs!

First of all BUY USED, you can get a pro kit used and then eventually you wont have to upgrade after college

Here are some kits to scope out on craigslist, ebay, and guitar centers used category:

MAPEX SATURN:Awesome kit can get them for $1000 used if you look hard
Gretsch Renown: Very nice kit, you can get them for 850-1000 used
Tama Starclassic: Can get Maple Starclassis for about 1200-1300 used a little over your budget
Pearl Masters: Good kit $1000-1200

And there are others but you get the idea

Sonor Force 3007s are brilliant drums as well - 5 different configs and 9 different finishes and a lot of add ons to choose from and all maple shells, 2.3mm powerhoops and fantastic build. Apparently they are discontinued as well - something called a Sonor select series replaced it. Only difference is price - the 3007s are a steal new and the select series ones have bigger badges.What made me get one wasn't just the unbelievable price but also the sound and that autumn fade finish - hand rubed and everything. And no, I don't work for Sonor.

Sorry..to clear some things up..by new I just meant different from what I currently have. I have no problem buying used.

And I also forgot to mention that I was looking for a 2 up 2 down config.

Thanks for the ideas so far!

Your post says new...Mapex Maniac gave some great suggestions for used and I would go that way probably if I had that much to spend..but if you want brand new here is a suggestion for your high end $1200
http://www.dalesdrumshop.com/specials/126,tama-starclassic-birch-bubinga-astral-white-diamond/

here is one for the low end $800
http://www.dalesdrumshop.com/specials/174,sonor-force-3007-maximum-maple-m2-shell-bank/
both would leave enough for tax and delivery

They both look sweet. And actually I could save on the delivery. I live a little over an hour away from Harrisburg and I was actually planning a trip up there possibly sometime this week.

The 2 best pro kits for the money you'll hear will probably be Mapex Saturn and Gretsch Renown (Maple and Birch)
I like the renowns personally. Saw a great deal on renown maples on casico interstate music a few weeks ago. It was a new 4 piece shell pack (no snare) for just $1200, great deal.

Edit: here it is. http://www.interstatemusic.com/weba...=google&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=gbase
22" bass drum, 10 and 12 inch rack toms and 14" floor tom.

No snare, but You can a quality snare used for $200, so it'd run you up about $1400 in all.
Or you can probably make your gammon snare sound decent with proper heads and tuning.
With another floor tom, that's another $200-$300
So $1600-$1700 I guess.

If you can expand your budget I'd jump on this deal, the normal price for these is $1500.

Thanks for the ideas. I got a decent sound out of my snare now, but I'm sure I could do better with some new heads. I don't really like the emperor dot snare head. Anyways..I found this too. Would this be worth it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pearl-Masters-C...aultDomain_0&hash=item19c39a4892#ht_796wt_905

One weird thing.... It says $195 shipping... I've never dreamed of shipping costing that much. Maybe it's just a bug with my computer... But if you see it too definitely contact them and ask about that, it's very ridiculous.

As long as you have that sorted out it's a fantastic deal. You don't get a warranty, but those look like they're in great condition. Nice finish too.
As long as you don't mind the lacquer crack.
Honestly I wouldn't call it minor like the description says, that's a pretty big crack.\But you could just have it face towards you when gigging, then the audience wouldn't see it.
Or you could just get it re-wrapped.

As long as you sort out those issues it's a great deal.

Yeah. Thanks for all the help.

I decided against the MMX. I'm just going to buy a Mapex Saturn 6 piece shell pack. I'm going to attempt to find something used while I save up some more cash. And if I can't find anything that way I'll wait for a good guitarcenter promotion or something and see if I can get the 1600 new down to like 1300-1400.

Once again..Thanks everyone for their input!!

Nothing wrong with that plan at all....

Its here!!!! I ordered my set this past weekend at guitar center's drum weekend. It was 15% off all drumming gear so I decided to order it. It came out to about 1450 after tax and everything, but man is it worth it. I can't wait to set it up, but unfortunately I have work tonight and tomorrow night right after school so it'll have to wait until friday. But here are 2 pictures of the snare drum I took when I got it out of the box. More pics to come later! This is the transparent walnut fade btw.

Attachments

• SDC11058a.jpg
    SDC11058a.jpg
    688.6 KB · Views: 129
  • SDC11059a.jpg
    SDC11059a.jpg
    687.8 KB · Views: 128
Back