My DWs

HipshotPercussion

First, the "real" DWs, my 2002 Collectors series in Candy Apple Red Lacquer:

sdwdscn3799.jpg

sdwdscn3801.jpg

sdwdscn3802.jpg

sdwdscn3833.jpg

The sizes are 22", 10", 12", 14".

The snare in these pics is a Ludwig Phosphor Bronze. The cymbals are vintage Avedis Zildjian 22" and 19" rides and 14" hats that I've had since the '60s. (Oh hell, am I old!) They're so vintage that they have no other model name.Also an early '90s 16" Sabian AAX crash.

Bass pedal is Yamaha, hi-hat stand is a Tama Road Pro. And, yes, the stick bag is a Christmas stocking that almost matches.

Yeah, I know, only "almost."

I've deliberately kept this kit simple. Have an "Oh, it's just a PDP kit" that I went a little overboard on. I'll post those pics next.

My beloved PDPs:

spdpdscn3785.jpg

spdpdscn3790.jpg

spdpdscn3793.jpg

spdpdscn3795.jpg

spdpdscn3807.jpg

spdpdscn3817.jpg

spdpdscn3838.jpg

This is a double-bass X7 with the usual measurements plus a Mapex Pro Brass snare, Yamaha bass pedals, vintage Gibraltar hi-hat stand, and a couple of toms from a turn-of-the-21st Century Tama Swingstar kit. (I love their sound, and Tama's midnight blue wrap come pretty close to matching the X7s' version.)

Cymbals are 16" and 17" inch Zildjian A Custom crashes, 14" Zildjian A Custom Rezo hats, 18" Zildjian A crash, Saluda 19" China, Wuhan 12" China, no-name 22" wind gong (great price on consignment at the local music store), 10" and 12" Wuhan splashes, 14" Wuhan crash.

My DW Collectors are fantastic sounding drums, but the PDPs sing almost as well for much less dinero - and I don't have to be afraid of messing with 'em. I have two dogs, a lab/mastiff mix that's a perfectly trained and wonderful service dog (PTSD plus he's a homing dog with whom it's impossible to get lost), and a crazy, silly, hugelyu hugable golden lab who just wants to play, play, play. The Collectors kit is the service dog, but the PDP is the golden lab.

Thanks for looking at all this.

For the price the ludwig 14x5.5 b/w badge rocker bronze snare is probably my favorite snare I've ever bought new. I bet it sounds killer with the red dee-dubs.

The Ludwig sounds great with the DWs. At least, it sounds just the way I want it to, which I hope is great for those who have to listen.

This is a rarity for me, getting the sound I want with only about an hour's piddling around, no matter how high or low the cost.

Oh Man!

I lusted over the Candy Apple Red Laquer finish for months, and almost proposed to her!

One day I accidentally stopped into a Best Buy Musical store where I exchanged eyes with a 6 piece DW Collectors set (yes - "REAL DW's" - LOL!). She was wearing a Red Velvet Finish Ply - though nothing exotic.

However, she was on sale for 35% off and all 9000 series hardware on sale too.
Our 1 year anniversary is this month.

My PDP FS Birch set just waits in the walk-in closet for now...

You've got a couple nice sets there!

Oh Man!

I lusted over the Candy Apple Red Laquer finish for months, and almost proposed to her!

One day I accidentally stopped into a Best Buy Musical store where I exchanged eyes with a 6 piece DW Collectors set (yes - "REAL DW's" - LOL!). She was wearing a Red Velvet Finish Ply - though nothing exotic.

However, she was on sale for 35% off and all 9000 series hardware on sale too.
Our 1 year anniversary is this month.

My PDP FS Birch set just waits in the walk-in closet for now...

You've got a couple nice sets there!
Thanks, BigDIn.

I resisted brightly colored drums for years, but there was something about the candy apple. It was like, "Well, I can't afford a candy apple '63 Sting Ray, but compared to that these drums are a bargain, so...."

Gotta love the mind games we play on ourselves.

Back