The "Wee Kit"

This is what I refer to as my "Wee Kit".

This kit started out life as a 1982 Premier APK in a horrible broon colour, so I decided to update it. I done the floor tom conversion, as I despised the 22" bass drum that was originaly on the kit (or any 22" bass drum for that matter)

Some orange spray, some glitter paste, wood hoops, a ride cymbal mount and a home made riser later, I call this the "wee kit"

SPECS.

14"x5" 1968 Premier 2000 (best snare in the world)
16"x16" Bass drum w/ride mount and wood hoops.
10"x6" Tom (ex Premier Cabria snare drum)
12"x12" Floor Tom w/legs

13" K Mastersound High Hats
20" Sabian Artisan Medium Ride
22" Sabian Artisan Light Ride

Attachments

• drum 2.JPG
    drum 2.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 1,051
  • drum 3.JPG
    drum 3.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,053
  • drum 4.JPG
    drum 4.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,060
that is an awesome mini kit!

how does the 12x12" sound as a floor tom?

Also do you have any pics of before you customized it?

-Jonathan

There are som pics somewhere on here, but under a different account.

The 12" floor tom sounds more like a recorded floor tom than say a 14" or 16". Very short sustain, lots of low end. That is helped by the Evans G2 thats on it, but I bet it sounds better than most would think possible.

Thank you bobdadruma!

Im a huge admirer of small kits, they sound awesome, the record well and you dont need a huge car to drive them around in!

The best thing about this kit is how it records, it sounds exceptional, and would stand up to any sized kit you could compare it with, using modern micing techniques.

Aren't Artisans the REALLY expensive Sabians?

That's a nice 'wee kit'. I love playing on 4 pieces. It's a usual gig setup, though I always wish I can get another floor and an 8" on the drums.

Nice wee kit!
Chris

Where did you get the wood hoops from? I ask because I'm thinking about doing this with my 16" bass.

STDrums from Germany. They were about 28 quid for the pair, with £16 for delivery.
The colour is great, it catches the light well, its luminous day-glow orange.
Im also building a new kit with vintage Premier 'pointly' lugs, in a sky blue micro flake, with custom sizes. A signature kit if you will. Watch this space.

That's a great price! I can't do it now, but in a little while I might put down on that. Thanks a lot.

Its the taiwan maple i got, with a finish. You can also get unfinished ones. To be fair MFB, the prices have probably gone up cause german is about to fully back the euro, which has weakened their economy....alot.

I bookmarked the page and the prices would still seem to be reasonable. I'd have to cut a slot in mine (or move the tom mount that I use for the conversion kit) so my bass drum chain wouldn't rub, but they look great. I'm also interested in the tom and snare hoops on there, although they are fairly low on my priority list. Very reasonable.

Looks like you did a great job. I love the color and the hoops. 12 floor toms are killer. I use one, a 12x9 Cat Maple which I drilled for legs, to great effect. I drilled out the 16x16 floor/kick with spurs, tom mount and ghetto riser. I fly a 10 and a ride from the kick and use the 12 on the left and a 14 on the right with an LM400. It is funny how my small kit is larger than some of my full size kits.

Looks like you did a great job. I love the color and the hoops. 12 floor toms are killer. I use one, a 12x9 Cat Maple which I drilled for legs, to great effect. I drilled out the 16x16 floor/kick with spurs, tom mount and ghetto riser. I fly a 10 and a ride from the kick and use the 12 on the left and a 14 on the right with an LM400. It is funny how my small kit is larger than some of my full size kits.
All that drilling makes me squeamish.

I've never been overly bothered about drilling, im quite good with tools. To be honest, this shell was poorly done, the holes don't align perfectly, and there was some drill bit wander where I made the riser. However, not really into looks, and I dont plan on selling this kit, its all about sound and portability for me.

I am an Electrician. I am good with power tools. I am ok with drilling. Just not into my drums. Glad I had these mounts. Oh, and I get crap for this all the time on these sites but looks play a huge!!!! part for me.

Back