Drum themed Movies

affenjunge

So I want to enlarge my collection of drum themed movies. Do you guys have suggestions?

I already have:

- Drumline

- The Sound of Noise

- The Gene Krupa story - 1959
- That Thing You Do - 1996

While It's not just a drum movie,"The Last Waltz" does have a lot of Levon Helm in it.

There's also a short film that you can watch on Vimeo,entitled "The Drummer" which is excellent,and is really a drums only movie,featuring a a 40"s Slingerland Radio King set,and some really thin and small Zildjians.Great story and playing/acting where the drummer gets the girl in the end.

Sorry I don't have a link,but it's easy enough to find with a couple of clicks.

PS,I almost forgot "The Wrecking Crew" which has a lot of Hal Blaine in it,and is just plain facinating to watch.

There's a documentary out there also,made by John Walker entitled,"A Drummers Dream" with among others, Mike Mangini and Dennis Chanbers in it.

Last but not least the documentary "Beware of Mr.Baker".If I have to tell you what that one's about,then hang up the sticks.:)

Thanks for the link Arky,it's a great little film.:)

Steve B

Last edited:
"That Thing You Do" is my personal favorite drumming movie. It's not really all about drumming, but the lead character is a drummer trying to find his place. It's also just a really great movie and I'm a big fan of all things Tom Hanks.

I just wanted to say that I've seen that short film "The Drummer", and that film is truly amazing. I think it's only 15 or 20 minutes long, so if you have any time at all to spare, you won't regret watching it.

Some Kind of Wonderful from the 80's, wasn't about drumming per se, but the main female character was a drummer, And it gave us the classic line:
" The only things I care about in this goddamn life are me and my drums and you. "

Hilarious under the radar gem, The Sound of Noise is a great fictional film about a bunch of drummers. I love the way they portray different styles of drummers with out saying it out right. There's the jazz master, the prog monster, etc. Last I checked it was available to stream on Netflix, but I'm not 100% sure.

Be warned: subtitles. I happen to love 'em, but I live in the US, so I know lots of us would rather die than read.

Back