1. 14" Istanbul Agop Alchemy Rock Hi-Hats
  2. 17" Istanbul Agop Alchemy Rock Custom Crash
  3. 16" Istanbul Agop Alchemy Raw China
  4. 18" Istanbul Agop Traditional China Pang
  5. 22" Istanbul Agop Alchemy Rock Ride
  6. 21" Istanbul Agop Traditional Crash Ride

#2 has been recently replaced by the 18" Istanbul Agop Alchemy Power-X Crash

Thanks for looking

wicked setup! are those the birch drums from Sonor?

how are you finding those Istanbul Alchemy cymbals?

I remember tapping them at a local music stores and being pretty impressed.

-Jonathan

Thanks for your kind words:

1. The Sonor S-Class Kit is the intermediate step bewteen the basic Force series and the professional Delite Series (with Designer being their "custom order", flagship drums). They are 5mm maple shells (toms). Very resonant and sharp when new, I have abused them a little, so now they are a tad dull (not too dull, mind you). Got these as a shell set brand new for $1.5K in August 2003. I've recorded two full lenghts with it and it always performs stellarly. We always use samples because the style calls for it, but the kit does most the work, really...

2. I've been an endorser for Istanbul since 2004, and have played and recorded them exclusively during these last 5 years. The crashes, as you read, have been replaced of late with bigger, brawnier Power-X models, as the thinner 17s kept cracking on me. Not anymore!

Previous to committing to Istanbul, I had been slowly migrating from Zildjian to Sabian, since I was under the impression that the Zildjian clique had lost some of its magic touch during the 90s, and Sabian had been doing a better job. However, a studio engineer we once worked with recommended them and since I've tried them, I cannot find a reason to even try anything different. They are bright and beautiful like Paistes, but also complex and deep, like a hand hammered K or HH. Finishes are beautiful and each model is unique, but models are consistent within themselves.

Scott is quite busy handling many hats simultaneously within the US branch, but is always a gentleman and very willing to help out with any special requests.

Cheers

P.S. - You can hear the cymbals in our latest album "The Rise of the Lepers" - it's a free download! - go to our website...

Last edited:
Back