Best way to acquire a vintage kit

K

keirik

Buy it when it's new

Wait 36 years

job done

well that's what I did :D

Of course I'm now too old to become a world famous tub thumper

Best way to acquire a vintage kit....Wake up one day and have Keira Knightly give me one after I fulfill the needs of her libido.

Ebay, Craigslist, local ads, music stores. I see them on my Florida Craigslist almost weekly. I would say though to know what you are looking at before dropping a load on a not so vintage set

I have a snare that is 80 something years old. I still feel a sense of awe when I take it out of the case. This drum could have been played in the 30's by some hotshot Jazz drummer during the early years of Jazz then by some dancehall drummer in the 40's and some young rock'n'roll rebel in the 50's.

Yea, I like old drums.

Funny..........
I'm a vintage drummer trying to figure out the best way to acquire a new kit.

THis kit is about 70 years old - I put together with orphaned drum shells.
An amazing kit. I have about $2400 into it and it's well worth that .....to me.

Here is is.
All Gretsch 40's shells that I bought here and there on C/L and eBay over about a year.

I copied the Gretsch Burnt Orange finish but left mine with a Satin finish -no Gloss.
The bd heads are retucked 1930's Ludwig Pioneer calfhide heads...they still sound great....that low grumbling warm tone...lots of punch too.
24/13/16 with a 6.5x14 Gretsch Super Structure (shell) snare.

Attachments

• 1 (Custom).JPG
    1 (Custom).JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 199
Best way to acquire a vintage kit....Wake up one day and have Keira Knightly give me one after I fulfill the needs of her libido.

Keria Knightly?....Kate Beckensale.:)..More OT,all of my drums are vintage.except for a couple of snares.and my Pearl DLX beater kit.I aquired them over the years,but I'm especially fond of my 47 Slingerland Radio King.WMP, 14x7 ,Super Gene Krupa model,with calf /slunk heads.All original.The drum is in round,and the edges are pretty decent.This thing just honks.

Any way,if you want a vintage kit,and don't really know what your looking for.there are quite a few forgeries out there.There's a guy in Canada,that is selling phony 60's vintage Rogers wood dynasonics.I'd say,if you really don't know vintage gear well,buy from a reputable drum shop,like Steve Maxwells.You'll pay more,but at least you're getting the real deal,guaranteed.And for the love of anything holy,please don't alter it,when you get it.If you want vintage sound and a modern kit ,with modern hardware,buy a C&C or Ludwig Legacy kit,that can deliver that sound,and leave the original vintage stuff alone.:)

Steve B

Last edited:
Another way to get a Vintage-Like shellpack is to order it new from Gretsch. They will do a Vintage buildout for you.
They will put at least the following on your shellpack:
BASS DRUM:
Recently re-issue Rail Mount
50's60's era bd spurs
Faucet-style T-Rods
Diamond Plate cymbal holder(s)

FLOOR TOM:
Diamond plate leg mounts

SNARE DRUM
Re-issue Micro-Sensitive strainer on your snare drum.

They still have the Dial-type Mutes if you want them too

The Gretsch Permatone heads are nice I use them

So - there you have it....a Vintage buildout on a new shellpack.

It's an option.

An aside. The person that is selling Rogers Dynasonic snare drum replicas in Eastern Canada makes it well known to the buyer that his drums are just that - replicas. However, there was at least one person.....from Western Canada....that bought one of these 'replica' Rogers Dynasonics from the chap in the East and passed it off as the real deal. He was busted big time. There are lots of fakes out there - people trying to make a buck dishonestly - so you do have to ask a lot of questions.

Best way to acquire a vintage drum kit: inheritance.

Back