Is this "Unprofessional"

petey

Do you find it "Unprofessional" if you show up to a rock gig to sub, you're getting paid for the night, you got all the high energy hard rocking songs memorized, you're ready to go and at the last minute -- they spring a "Ya know the 3rd song? Well, we're going to do that acoustic instead, really stripped down -- so If you can play some brushes on that one, that would be fantastic".

You know the song -- but hey, you don't have brushes because you were expecting to rock out tonight. So you didn't bring them.

Unprofessional?

You not having brushes, or them asking? I would call not having brushes with you just a mistake-- it's basic piece of equipment you're supposed to carry, but "unprofessional" is a little strong. It was a mistake. The band asking you to do something you didn't expect is 100% normal business as usual.

Unprofessional on who's part - the drummer's, or the band's?

I think a drummer needs to be prepared, especially on a non-familiar gig. that doesn't mean bring 3 snares and 15 cymbals, but keeping a pair of Flix or Rock Rakes or something in your stick bag is a no-brainer. BTW, HotRods are not brushes.

As for the band, they should know better than to assume the drummer is prepared, and shouldn't spring any surprises on the sub.

I don't know if I'd call it unprofessional though, but I think the drummer could have been more proactive in this case.

Bermuda

Do you find it "Unprofessional" if you show up to a rock gig to sub, you're getting paid for the night, you got all the high energy hard rocking songs memorized, you're ready to go and at the last minute -- they spring a "Ya know the 3rd song? Well, we're going to do that acoustic instead, really stripped down -- so If you can play some brushes on that one, that would be fantastic".

You know the song -- but hey, you don't have brushes because you were expecting to rock out tonight. So you didn't bring them.

Unprofessional?
You're not,pull some 7A's out and play lite.It's always nice to have a few pairs of sticks in different sizes.
I'd go w/ those bamboo things rather than brushes,just my opinion.

TO CLARIFY: Is it Unprofessional for the Drummer to not have brushes on hand.

To me, I think it is. I know we all make mistakes but if you're trying to be serious in this game and show up to do a job professionally (getting paid) then you should be prepared for anything they throw at you.

I say that, but I probably would have done the same thing, just brought my sticks and drums to rock out -- not even thinking "Hey, I should bring my brushes". I agree with Bermuda, it should be a no-brainer

I don't know man. I have never played with brushes in my life. If a band told me to play with brushes I would laugh at them and tell them to come find me at the bar when the song was over. Sounds to me like they should have mentioned this to you at some point during rehearsals. Obviously they brought acoustic guitars so its not like they didn't know. Of course I have never been a substitute player for a cover band either, so maybe I'm wrong.

I don't know man. I have never played with brushes in my life. If a band told me to play with brushes I would laugh at them and tell them to come find me at the bar when the song was over. Sounds to me like they should have mentioned this to you at some point during rehearsals. Obviously they brought acoustic guitars so its not like they didn't know. Of course I have never been a substitute player for a cover band either, so maybe I'm wrong.

I'm still trying to work out how the hell you play drums with brushes...

brushes_zpsytuekbcv.png

Yeah, in this instance it's probably a little harsh to call it 'unprofessional', I guess it depends the context. If you're subbing in a big band, then it's probably safe to assume the drummer would know how to play with brushes and he would have them. In a rock band, that might not be the case, but part of me thinks, "whaddaya mean you don't have brushes?" Just because as a youngster I was taught to be able to play with them and I'm assuming everybody goes through the same methodology - but then I have to remind myself that not everyone is the same and they either have no interest, or because of the music they like to play, the issue never came up - so I can't fault them for that.

Next time, just make sure you have brushes in your stick bag and leave them there. I always have sticks, brushes, Calato Blasticks (plastic Hot Rods that flex a lot more), and Vic Firth Swizzles (a drum stick bead on one end and felt temp mallets on the other).

In your case, if I didn't have brushes and they wanted to go acoustic, I would've played with my bare hands and fake a conga thing.

Unprofessional?

You or them?

Ya gots to go with the flow. I don't even own brushes but I would figure out something. Maybe that thing where you hold the butt of your stick on the head and click the other end on the rim while muffling the head with your hand? And, yeah, I find it funny that I don't even know what that technique is called :)

The drums are really very unimportant in an acoustic version. Just tap along quietly in the background.

TO CLARIFY: Is it Unprofessional for the Drummer to not have brushes on hand.

Sorry. I didn't read before I replied.

I's not unprofessional to not have brushes but a professional would figure out how to play something quietly using whatever he had.

Tomorrow night I get to go play "new country" music with a band; it'll be my third gig with them. I went in the first night with a set of roughshod charts that could get me through the gig; all in order in a book and thought that'll be real easy, just point & shoot.

So we play the first three songs on the setlist then come the substitutions. Skip ahead to third set, third song, over to 4th set, fifth song, and so it goes.

It was obvious that I didn't know the tunes "spot on" but what I was able to provide the bandleader with was "flow". If you can provide an artist "the river" to swim within, you'll get a call back. They'll overlook your shortcomings in knowledge and instead become addicted to your ability to "take them where they want to go". After you play the tune a few times it becomes clear what goes where.

So one thing I've learned is to be prepared or ANYTHING. I even keep a set of heads in my van in case something breaks! Kick drum head, most importantly.

Bring all your brushes, sticks. I have a "libation bag" that contains a canteen of water, some Clif bars, maybe a sandwich, couple of diet cokes and a thermos of coffee. I can go through the entire night and not ever go to the bar for a beverage and in some places, the line to get to it is usually about ten deep.

And this artist I just mentioned...he likes to start at 8:30 and play straight through til midnight. They must all wear diapers or something.

I wouldn't say 'unprofessional' -- maybe a learning moment for the drummer. Always bring everything you think you might need -- I've had a pair of brushes in my bag for years and have used them MAYBE twice... but they're there for just such an occurrence...

Even the heaviest of bands will often bring it down for a song or two -- even the lounge'iest lounge band will kick it up a notch every so often.

I'm with eclipse here. If they didn't have the foresight to warn you but had obviously planned it in advance I'd say "tell me when the song is over".

It's their professional responsibility to give you (the sub) adequate warning when one of the songs changes or is being played differently. You're doing them a favour by helping them out, so it's on them to make sure you're prepared and up to speed.

I've tried to play with brushes but hated them and don't see their use what so ever in my playing. I'd rather use shakers, a hand drum, rhythm sticks or other percussion instruments with an acoustic track, heck I could even add my voice while doing so. Brushes though? meh not my thing at all.

Even though I almost never use brushes, I generally have a pair in my stick bag.

I'm not really sure why, but they are there.

Lol....i don't even own brushes. If i had some i guess i may keep them in my stick bag...but probably not.

Well, there's a bare minimum I would have me to be able to cover whatever someone might ask of, but I guess this getting into the "hired gun mercenary" type of musician or just a guy who likes playing what he likes to play?

There's definitely a line between what's necessary and what isn't though - I worked with a guy who had at least ten different types of triangle beaters he kept with him at all times. I thought that was a little excessive, considering he only carried one triangle ;)

But I figure, sticks, brushes, a bit heavier brushes, and some kind of soft mallet (be they tympani mallets for cymbal swells) should cover a lot of things. Everything else can be improvised.

Back