Other songs that sound like other songs

There's a riff in Tool's Lateralus that sounds close to the verses in Test for Echo by Rush. They also happen to both be title tracks on their respective albums.

More recently a lot of people (myself included) noticed the main riff in Foo Fighter's Something From Nothing sounds a lot like Dio's Holy Diver. Doesn't change that Sonic Highways was my favorite album last year, but it is odd...

I've always thought Ten Years After's "Here They Come" had some guitar similarities to Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead Or Alive".

IMO, about as similar as the Led Zep/Spirit "Stairway" thing.

How about Green Day's Basket Case and Pachebel's Canon in D? Strikingly similar chord progression.

More recently a lot of people (myself included) noticed the main riff in Foo Fighter's Something From Nothing sounds a lot like Dio's Holy Diver. Doesn't change that Sonic Highways was my favorite album last year, but it is odd...

Oh, I noticed that one right away. Total rip-off.

Charley Patton predates Willie Dixon. Charley's version IMO is the best performance of the best blues song I ever heard.

I think that they are two completely different songs. You mentioned howlin' Wolf so I thought of Spoonful, but Charlie Patton's Spoonful Blues is completely different and I like it too. I used to have a version of Spoonful by Muddy Waters but I can't find it on YouTube anywhere.

Last edited:
I think that they are two completely different songs. You mentioned howlin' Wolf so I thought of Spoonful, but Charlie Patton's Spoonful Blues is completely different and I like it too. I used to have a version of Spoonful by Muddy Waters but I can't find it on YouTube anywhere.

Charley's was first. It's a scary performance it's so good. Howlin Wolf totally re-worked the song but kept some essential elements. I think he was trying to make it more palatable. Charley's version is so raw, and it has so many elements of classic blues tricks hidden in it. It's such a complex recording for one guy and a guitar. When I first listened to it, I couldn't make out the lyrics at all. But once I read the words, I didn't understand how I couldn't hear it before.

It's really a seminal piece of work. Here's a link for anyone interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyIquE0izAg

The words are included but you have to expand the "show more" thing to see them. You have to read the words to get the full impact of the song. At first I thought there was 2 people singing it, but it's all Charley. He could project his voice like nobody's business. I could listen to it all day. The guitar work is sublime, even though it doesn't hit you in the face.

And The Alphabet song, which also taught me, albeit incorrectly, that LMNO was one letter.

I knew there was a 3rd one, but I couldn't remember it. Thank you for easing my mind.

As far as I know, Sting and the Police never took action against Stevie Nicks for ripping off 'Bring on the Night' with 'Edge of Seventeen'. Not sure why; it's basically a note-for-note cover of the rhythm track - for most of the song anyway. The off-time bass drum note just cements the thievery.

And I could have this wrong, but I seem to remember reading a story about how Nick's band was actually jamming on 'Night' (either in the studio or warming up on tour) when Nicks heard it and asked the band to keep vamping the riff while she came up with lyrics.

If that's the case, seems to me Sting could have certainly sued for the substantial royalties that song provided. Who couldn't use a few more vineyards? He's only got two or three at the moment...poor fella.

"Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", and "Baa Baa Black Sheep" are the same melody.

Lame I know.

My wife was a pre-school teacher for several years.

One thing I learned was every single traditional children's song comes down to one of three melodies.

"Other songs that sound like other songs"

Blues.

Not the entire tunes but the lead guitar parts from "Five To One" (The Doors) and "She" (Kiss) sound very similar.

Back