what drum should i buy for adult

Has to be...

c021-drumming-panda__16043.jpg

21 too old?? I am over 40 and started taking lessons 3 weeks ago. AND there's a guy that I think is in his late 60's or 70's who is taking lessons. I think lessons are beneficial because then someone will tell you what you are doing right and what you need to work on and give you direction for your practicing.

You're gonna want to budget around $800 if you want all brand new stuff or $400-600 if you want (better quality) used stuff. You can easily find mid-range complete setups for the latter range on CList. Just look for Yamaha, Tama, Pearl, Ludwig, Gretsch, PDP, or Mapex. Hard to get a bad starter kit from any of those brands.

Buying used will save you a LOT of money considering you'd be getting better quality stuff for less cash.

P.S., if you're just trolling, you suck.
I have to agree to start out with you don't necessarily need the drum set to start practicing, just a practice pad, and sticks. If you are going to buy a set, there are lots of decent used sets that you can find. I bought a 6pc catalina maple with hardware and zildjian cymbals(not the best cymbals but I figure once I figure out what cymbals I really like I can move up).

21 is not too late. I'm twice your age and I start new hobbies all the time, much to the chagrin of my spouse and our bank account. If you have the interest, you can learn.

Like everyone else, I recommend you find a decent drum instructor. It is easy to pick up a pair of sticks and start making some noise, and it is fun, but like it was mentioned above, if you want to become a GOOD drummer, then you will do yourself a great service by playing with good technique from the beginning.

Once you have a foundation of good stick technique and the ability to read music, you might be able to progress on your own for a while with books and videos. Once you know the basics, it's not hard to learn beats and grooves and fills on your own. Just listen and try to copy what you hear. With YouTube it's so much easier than when I was learning because you can see what the drummer is doing. I spent my first year of drumming going through a Rush songbook with an instructor. I became an expert on Neil Peart's style, even though I couldn't play it very well :) It was a great education on rock drumming and I had a great time learning it.

Get a practice pad and some sticks, and if you want a drumset, get a good used one. If you end up not playing much, you can always sell it for about what you paid for it.

I started drumming because I wanted to be in marching band. My parents were cool with it because they figured they didn't have to buy an instrument. They got me some snare lessons from a great teacher who taught me the rudiments and how to read. But within a month, I was annoying the hell out of my folks to buy me a drum set. Practicing on a pad is great, but banging away on a drum kit is a lot more fun, so I say go for it.

If you're a troll, that's OK too, this post will be here for future generations.

Obviously you need a Saturn. Do whatever you want man, but you have the best advice already. I guess in the end do what makes you happy. If you want to be good, listen to the advice here, but if you don't really care, do whatever you want.

I am bored, otherwise I wouldn't respond to a trolling thread.....

I saw an interview with a pro golfer (sorry, cant remember his name) but he mentioned that he was at a driving range and a fan made the comment that they wished they could hit a drive like (insert golfer's name). The golfer stopped walked over and told the person that they really didn't mean that. He stated if they really wanted to hit a golf ball the way he does they wouldn't be standing there watching. They would be up at the crack of dawn swinging and sacrificing other things in life to perfect their swing. He told them they didnt "want" or "wish" for anything and that those comments were offensive to him. I give the guy props for having the balls to tell the truth. Those guys on Youtube, studio drummers, or the gig'ing professional have spent hours and hours on the sticks. Like anything else in life it requires dedication, hard work, and tons of practice. Some people are more naturally gifted than others (no doubt), but you can improve and become better but it requires work.

ohh i see so i really need a teacher .. before that im just thinking maybe i should buy this first

http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Wireless...1377632271&sr=8-4&keywords=rock+band+drum+set

for my xbox so can gain experience?

before i buy a real drum set and get a teacher so i can get good enough experience?

and im 21 years old u think its too late?

i cant get a teacher because i have a work so instead a teacher maybe this one will work

https://www.mcssl.com/SecureCart/Ch...43839ec5db0ed26966d9&bhcp=1&bhhash=1#includes

Is that you Sticks?

Maybe the caped drummer boy?

Miley Cyrus?

Justin Bieber?

I think I nid and Advil.........:)

Steve B

LOL this thread is awesome!!

I really hope the OP is not serious or really 21, otherwise he will have much more things to worry about in life than drumming.

But it gave me a good laugh

Jeez, you guys are too cynical!

OP, if you have the cash, spring for the best drumkit you can afford. BUT ONLY IF you're dead serious about learning to play. Nothing worse than plonking cash on an expensive instrument, playing it for a day or two and then realising you'd rather be doing something else. I've seen it time and again, mainly with acoustic guitars, lol.

The gents on the forum are bang on about getting a teacher to help you learn to play these songs FAST. Teachers can also assist you with using the right technique while playing, which is pretty important.

But your aptitude is what really counts in the end, you might be some kind of musical genius. So take the time to familiarise yourself with the kit, push yourself as hard as you can go and if you run into trouble somewhere or find you've reached a dead end, then go to a teacher.

But remember, if you're not serious, don't buy the kit, it'll just be a waste of space and hard-earned money. In that sense, perhaps invest in a lesson or two first and see if you LIKE playing the drums.

I'm amused with the songs you chose, I don't listen to a lot of Japanese music, but that Sword Art Online song caught my attention, got an interesting vibe and the vocals are nice.

I can nail these songs! Woohoo!

I saw an interview with a pro golfer (sorry, cant remember his name) but he mentioned that he was at a driving range and a fan made the comment that they wished they could hit a drive like (insert golfer's name). The golfer stopped walked over and told the person that they really didn't mean that. He stated if they really wanted to hit a golf ball the way he does they wouldn't be standing there watching. They would be up at the crack of dawn swinging and sacrificing other things in life to perfect their swing. He told them they didnt "want" or "wish" for anything and that those comments were offensive to him. I give the guy props for having the balls to tell the truth. Those guys on Youtube, studio drummers, or the gig'ing professional have spent hours and hours on the sticks. Like anything else in life it requires dedication, hard work, and tons of practice. Some people are more naturally gifted than others (no doubt), but you can improve and become better but it requires work.

Random guess, Colin Montgomerie?

One of the things I like so much about DrummerWorld is that the "benefit of the doubt is often offered". Nice!

Start drums at any age. A drum teacher is best. Do not try to guess how you will play in the future....just start.

Good Luck!
I'm curious what your native language is. Good luck drumming.

Jeez, you guys are too cynical!

Hmmm. Are some of us too cynical, or others just too gullible?

I'm excited by this thread. Until it appeared I had no idea there were so many peple that would be willing to line up and buy a bridge from me. Hell, from what I'm reading here I could even charge over the going rate. PM me, for you I'll do a really special deal! :)

Last edited:
lesna02;1174719 said:
im 21 years old and i want to learn how to play drum you think im too old?...

ohh i see so i really need a teacher .. before that im just thinking maybe i should buy this first

http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Wireless...1377632271&sr=8-4&keywords=rock+band+drum+set

for my xbox so can gain experience?....

You are too old. Don't waste your money on Rock Band because if you aren't an expert on it by the time you are one year old, you'll never get anywhere.
Give up now before you waste your time and money.

LOL

It's been two days and the OP has left the building.

Too cynical...I think NOT.Call it schooled by life experience.

I've been around the block a few times,and this isn't my first rodeo

.After over 20 years in law enforcement,my B.S.detector still works, but lastly,I don't always drink the Koolaid,when it's offered.

Steve B

Great analogy. Natural talent is not all it's cracked up to be. Read Outliers by Malcom Gladwell, very interesting stuff.

Synopsis - If you want to excel, you have to put in the practice hours, regardless of how much innate talent you may seem to possess. The guys at the top are the ones that practiced relentlessly for years.

Not too old at 21. There are a few things in life, like ice hockey, where 21 is too old to master. what kills me is that in this day and age, with youtube, google, other sites, people are unsure about stuff like this. when i started playing 30 years ago ( geez!), I couldn't click on a link and see a youtube tutorial on how to increase hand or foot speed. Information traveled so slowly in the 70s and 80s. It's akin to information that traveled in the 1500s. Think howm uch time must have passed between when something happened in California to hearing about it in New York back in the 1800s?? It would take weeks to hear the information. Now, seconds.

Point here is: you have access to so much knowledge, instantly. This site was a great start, but go out and read/view even BEFORE you pick up a stick. Get a beginner's book, too. Oh, and I recommend a sonor extreme. Cheap, but sounds good....

Back