Jazz Fake or Real books

aboylikedave

Hi guys

Which one should I get? Fake or Real? If I go online on ebay or Amazon there's a few, all claiming to be the 'real' one!

Any pointers?

Cheers

As far as I know, the definitive "Real Book" has a beige cover with brown lettering. The one I have is a sixth edition, probably from the 70's, but I've seen newer versions and they appear to have kept the same cover design.

The fake one is just as good, but your friends won't think you're as cool, and they have a lower resale value, wait are we talking about coach purses or oakleys?

And you can't learn to swing from a book, unless that book tells you to listen to the jazz greats and imitate them, but it looks like I just did.

Fake Books are sketchy - sometimes hard to read, sometimes even wrong transcriptions or heads in the wrong key depending on who is compiling the tunes - and usually quite illegal. But on the other hand, most older versions of the Real Book are poorly-compiled, with lots to want in terms of content. Fortunately, most of the new books from Hal Leonard publishers are much more comprehensive and organized. You'll have to dish out a little more than usual but they are well worth the $ and will get you through any gig without having to yell "B flat blues, go!"

The fake one is just as good, but your friends won't think you're as cool, and they have a lower resale value, wait are we talking about coach purses or oakleys?

And you can't learn to swing from a book, unless that book tells you to listen to the jazz greats and imitate them, but it looks like I just did.

Also find yourself a good bass player to work with. If you have a good connection with a great bass player...you'll be able to learn what real feel is.

Back