Keeping The Hihat stand in place

A few things...

1. What do you set up your kit on? Rug, carpet, cement?

2. What brand and model hi hat stand do you use?

I have never had an issue with a good quality hi hat stand set up properly on either carpet or a rug of some type slip out on me. I have had issues with cheap stands not staying put or a good stand not set up right staying put.

A few thoughts:

Make sure you are set up on carpet, rug, or even a small mat directly under your hi hat. Best bet is to put one leg of your throne on part of the mat to help hold it back. I don't know what's available in Malaysia, but you can get small rubber backed 'bath' mats in the US for cheap that would work in a pinch, the rubber backing really grabs the floor underneath.

Another trick is to raise the center base\footboard bracket up slightly off the floor and let the legs and heel plate take the weight.

If your stand has them-use the screw spikes. This is for carpeting only-lol. No need to tear up a hardwood floor.

As a last resort run a piece of heavy cord, twine, or even a wire coat hanger from the center of your throne to the base of the hi hat. It aint pretty-BUT your stand won't be going anywhere. Just run it so that it doesn't interfere with the action of your hi hat pedal.

Its on a carpet, and i'm using the stock stands from tama swingstar

there are no problems with normal playing, its just the heeltoe (without hands) hihat opening technique that kicks the stand forward

it doesnt have spikes, or do i have to control my foot not to push it forward?

Hi Riddle,

I have an old StageStar hi-hat stand here and it definately has a carpet-spike built into the base. Maybe yours is missing? You could get a small bolt that would fit and file it to a point. This would be a place to start.

Also, maybe your hi-hat is too far out and when you are doing a heel splash you are pushing the stand away from you? Try moving it closer and see if it still happens. I know changing the position will feel awkward at first but give it a try.

Lastly, try tieing it off to you throne like I said. That will definately keep it from sliding out.

Good Luck...

pretty much every gig i play, i put a stage weight infront of the hihat stand, because my left foot tends to get a bit heavy once i get into it. if im on a slippy surface then ill put one infront of the bass drum too

Hi, after much staring and feeling at my stand, I've found the spike! This is stupid I admit, that I've never realized I had the spike despite having the kit for near a year, thanks guys

it's solidly statue on the carpet now, but one question, after sometime of playing the heelsplash my leg gets tired and sore, any advice on this? Sorry I'm just starting to play this technique and don't know alot

once again thanks everyone

I was just watching a Miles Davis documentary, towards the end his drummer (young Tony Williams?) was trying to play while his left foot was chasing the hihat across the stage. By the end of the song his left leg was stretch as far as it would go and he was still playing!

I was just watching a Miles Davis documentary, towards the end his drummer (young Tony Williams?) was trying to play while his left foot was chasing the hihat across the stage. By the end of the song his left leg was stretch as far as it would go and he was still playing!

Whats the name of Miles Documanteray?

Hi, after much staring and feeling at my stand, I've found the spike! This is stupid I admit, that I've never realized I had the spike despite having the kit for near a year, thanks guys

it's solidly statue on the carpet now, but one question, after sometime of playing the heelsplash my leg gets tired and sore, any advice on this? Sorry I'm just starting to play this technique and don't know alot

once again thanks everyone

Just keep your heel up and put the ball of your foot into the hi hat. If you want a swish just twist your from right to left. What your doing is a waste of energy in my opinion. For actual real life footage, check out Rodney Holmes Clips on this site!

Hope it helps,

Cheers,

Mike Foote

Back