Do You Like Metal Snares?

I have some. I'd like some more (DW is making that Dynasonic copy that I'm VERY interested in). I used to have a Supra and I'd like to get one back into the arsenal. I still have my Gretsch 8-lug round badge, and a Tama rockstar snare that makes a nice noise. I had a Dynasonic that was number one for a while, but I had to sell it. Then there's all of the aluminum variants....I never thought much about it because I like my wood snares as well, but yes, I'm a big fan of metal snares.

Wow , that's a nice one, don't see many of those. Kind of expensive though and I'm not sure bout those small square lugs under a lot of tension...recently sold a snare that had those lugs.

Neal

That's the same model I have. I've had mine for 4 years. No problems with the lugs. The price on that one is high. I don't think it will sell for that.

Does anyone notice that brass snares take a lower tuning well, better than most drums? I have my elite sensitone set up with renaissance emperor batter, and renaissance amassador concert snare side heads. that Renasissance amassador looks like onion skin, and it is only 3mills thinck.

I have that drum tuned to 87 on the reso and 85 on the batter, and it really sounds fat. It has a nice deep ring on the outer edges but a sharp crack on the center. I havent been able to tune my other snares like that.

Yep, my brass and bronze snares sound fantastic at a lower medium tuning. Including the Supraphonic aluminum.

I recently picked up a vintage cb 700 steel snare at my local drum shop. I normally don't like steel snares much, but this one has such tone and warmth. I put a triple threat on the top, and away I went. Pretty sure I overpaid a little, but I like the sound and look so much, I don't care. It's in MINT condition, with the cool wristwatch lugs, 10 of 'em. If it's the last steel drum I own, that's fine, but I'll definitely give metal drums a harder look in the future

Right now I have an even number of metal to wood snares. So yes I dig metal snares but only recently have I gotten back into them. Since about 2010 I had only played wood snares with my first metal snare joining the fleet late last year.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

20140202_171006.jpg

So far my favorite metal snare is my Gretsch 4160.

I love metal snares and prefer them over wood. I am a jazz player, so one would probably expect me to like wood, but metal is best to my ear. I have the following:

Yamaha Roy Haynes Signature hand hammered copper 5.5 x 14
Yamaha Paul Liam Chrome over brass 5.5 x 14
DW Knurled Chrome over steel 5.5 x 14

They are all fantastic sounding drums and all quite different. I've had many wood snares, but have found I really prefer the sound of metal.

As much as I like wood snares, including the ones I've made for myself, there's just something about the sound of my Black Beauty and Supraphonic that just does it for me.

The attack and after-ring, sound so sweet on metal snares.

As far as heads are concerned, I usually stick with either an Evans G1 or Aquarian Texture Coated, and then apply dampening depending on style needed.

Here are my metal snares. DW Knurled steel nestled in with my Canopus NV60 M1 kit. Yamaha Paul Liam COB, and Yamaha Roy Haynes copper.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 903
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 863
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 859
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 858
I love metal snares.

I have:
6x14 Keplinger Black Iron
6.4x14 nickel over brass 1940s Leedy
LM400
5.5x14 Sensitone Custom Alloy steel
1960s Slingerlans Aluminum 5x14

I've owned:
Yamaha seamless copper 6.5x14 - sold it for $370 about five years ago
Yamaha 6.5x13 brass nouveau (traded for a DW brass Edge Craviatto)
Pork Pie BOB (Leedy does it better)

That Keplinger is a "cold, dead hands" drum

I love my 6.5x14 brass Tama snare with coated powerstroke3/amb heads.

but.......

I'd trade it in a heartbeat for another 402.

I've probably played a metal shell snare 90% of my time behind the kit. Nothing against maples, birches, or acrylics. They just dont ever seem to give me the exact attack I want to hear.

Used a 3x13 Mapex Brass Master for a very long time. Thats usually gotten some form of a Genera Dry or equivalent.
Now mainly a 5.5 Supraphonic. I stick to G1 plain and simple.

Have my ears set on a bronze or copper one next.

Back