The "I wish I hadn't opened my big mouth" thread ;)

Andy

Honorary Member
We've all done it, promised something on the spur of the moment, & then the implications hit home. You'd think age would offer some reserve, but in my case, alas, I'm still that impetuous child.

After the sessions last week, I got to discussing the London Drum Show after party with Yolanda Charles. She confirmed she's running the jam party again this year, & I (stupidly) offered to get up for a slot. She accepted, & insisted she'd hold me to it. She then went on to say she had a stellar lineup of drummers & other musicians for this year's jam.

It later dawned on me just what I was setting myself up for. The LDS after party is invite only. Many of the MainStage artists join the party, & some get up to play. Effectively, if you're stupid enough to do a slot, you're either playing with, or in front of, a collection of world class players. Last year, mediocre (yeah right!) players such as Phil Gould were up on the drums ;) This year's lineup includes Gavin Harrison, Todd Sucherman, Keith Carlock, & other similar status guys. So as you can see, I think I've just set myself up for the ultimate epic fail :(

I took my concerns up with the guys on the day following the session. They said "ah, don't worry, Yolanda's so busy, she'll forget what you said". WRONG! I get back from the sessions, & there's a message from Yolanda confirming my inclusion in the event. I'm going to do it. I'll not back down, but awe man :( :( :(

So, what have you promised (preferably drumming related) then had to pinch yourself about later?

Just do you man!

I used to be insecure playing in front of people I perceived as better than me. I threw that out the window, played to my strengths, had a ton of fun, and the phone started ringing.

Easier said than done I know, but comeon who else can say they shared a stage with the cream if the crop of the drumming world?

So as you can see, I think I've just set myself up for the ultimate epic fail :(

A wise man once said, "If you cannot dazzle them with ability, confound them with bullshit" ;-) .. Sometimes it's OK to forego virtuosity in favor of simply being entertaining.

I once offered to stand-in as a guitarist in my sister-in-law's girl-band thinking it would be a neat way to meet women. I didn't realize that it meant I would have to sing the harmonies, in a full on falsetto, all night long, for several weeks. It's hard to look masculine when you have to sing like Mickey Mouse for 2 hours. Embarrassed just thinking about it. I guess that's why Aaron Neville tattooed a dagger on his face.

I used to be insecure playing in front of people I perceived as better than me.
Thanks for the big up man, & anyone who knows me knows I'm not the nervous or backing down type, but in this case, "perceived" doesn't enter into it. It's an absolute fact! ;)

Sometimes it's OK to forego virtuosity in favor of simply being entertaining.
I think a steady money beat is in order, with absolutely zero embellishment ;)

As for the Mickey thing, Bo has to live with that every week :)

If I read correctly,that's a chance of a lifetime playing in front of those guys. The reason i'm saying that is the advise is going to be priceless. You will be surprised at how humble and nice those cats are. I got to play the Space Boogie groove in front of Mr Phillips, I loved it, he told me to work on relaxing and not rushing it. Todd is an awesome dude by the way.

Andy, if she is pushing this, it's because she thinks you belong. Roll with it and enjoy, my man!

P.S. I'd s*** myself if I had to perform in front of those cats, so I can relate to how you feel :)

We always tend to tear ourselves down in our heads so we don't usually need to worry about what someone else says about our playing- we've already buried ourselves and poured vinegar on the gravesite!

We are our own worst critics and sometimes that critic is a nasty bugger. The faster one shuts that down and stops listening to it the better. One the other side of it lies a much more fun place to create.

I'm constantly blown away by drummers I hear when I go see bands or when we're playing on a bill where there's multiple players. Oftentimes when I introduce myself the drummer will say "I screwed up the chorus in that one tune" .... who cares? You sounded fantastic, man!

Time to break out the windchimes and cowbell! You'll be fine, remember, anything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but, oh man, I'm so glad it's not me!

Bring a Guru snare with you. They will all be focused on the snare while you are playing.
(Insist that nobody gets to play the snare but you............. )

As an older fellow let me make you a promise Andy. It will not hurt.
I can't imagine playing with those folks. As to my own big foot, I bet this attractive young lady during a foot ball palyoff game that if my team won, I would dance on the bar. This after she said, "do you dare me to dance on the bar if my team wins?" I said nope and if they lose I'll dance. I danced. And I had over 25.00 USD stuffed in my pants and socks when it was over. It didn't hurt a bit.

Thanks for the support guys :) I'll be requesting "Billie Jean" for my piece ;) ;) ;)

Seriously, I'm a very relaxed personality. I recently had a "rabbit in the headlights" moment that you will all get a good laugh out of (at my expense) later on when I post the video evidence :), so I'm cool with it. I unwittingly demonstrated some drums (badly) in front of Virgil Donati a while back, so I'm used to that sinking feeling :( The after party is in a London pub over the road from LDS. It's a very relaxed & accepting atmosphere.

It's the juxtaposition of me the hack (Andy, set up your s*&^t somewhere between the lady's toilets & the cigarette machine), & the A list guys (sir, your catering & PA have been arranged to your dressing room).

Andy is it a solo type thing or will you be playing along with others?

Calm down bro! Just enjoy it brother! You'll be seeing amazing drummers and other musicans and you get to play with them too!!!! Just have fun. And stop comparing yourself to others

Andy,I've heard you play so I don't think there's anything to be concerned about here.You've got the chops to do this thing.Granted,the guys you mention are world class players,but even at that level,drummers at least tend to be supportive of one another,and not overly criticle.

If you're still feeling some self doubt,then wood shed a little.Besides ,Yolanda has heard you play ,hasn't she?Hence the invitation.You can do this my friend....promise.You're not selling tickets you can't cash.This will be one for the books.:)

Steve B

I've seen some of your clips. You're selling yourself way short.

You are rock solid, my man. Play to your strengths. You will do fine.

When you come back with an update on this in a few months. We all get to tell you "I told you so".

To answer your question, I have sort of put my foot in my mouth recently too. Not to the degree you have though...yeah, you really screwed up. :)

The guitar player in my blues band asked if I would be interested in drumming on a sort of re-establishing of one of his old bands. I said, "Sure!" Well, it turns out that one of the other members was a woman whom I'm a big fan of. She's very well known locally. She has a great Bonnie Raitt vibe about her. I got a text yesterday that we're all getting together for a jam this weekend. I'm a bit nervous...

What a great opportunity!

I don't see that as "big mouth"...but as a great call to up your playing!

have a great time Andy!

wow, will you be the "crash" or "Burn" drummer in this lineup...hahahahah not to worry, just get a pre-recorded track to mime along to...it pains me to say, but I actually think you will do quite well from the clips Ive seen of your playing.

Back