Loss of too many drum shops in the UK

I would also add the London Drum Company:

http://www.londondrumcompany.com/about-london-drum-company

And also Andertons, in Guildford, I was in there recently, and it's true most kits on display are electric, but they had two racks of snares on display. According to the guys they had just had a move around in the "Drum Shed" as they call it, so it's possible they are still a bit mixed up. Certainly, the rest of the store is very well laid out, wit a lot of nice gear, in all price ranges.

This is very interesting I had not come across the London Drum Company before, looks Iike I will have to take a trip to Croydon...

cheers for the info

happy to help Togg, literally found it driving on the way to a mates BBQ, would have liked to have stopped in myself.

Drum Central Glasgow closed in December, but there's still one in Edinburgh which I think may be closing down soon. That's all I can think of, there are a few more drum shops in Glasgow but I'm not sure where they all are or if they still exist. Alot of the guitar shops have been closed down though.

Northampton Music Center (Northampton)
There is another I don't remember, same place.
Drum-Stop (Sheffield)
RockemMusic (Rotherham)
Rocky Road Music (Corby)

I guess just gotta Google it.

I have noticed there are more and more people setting up production companies here, as opposed to selling. Which is a shame.

I can vouch highly for the Manchester Drum Centre which is actually in Eccles near Manchester..
I bought my first ever brand new drum kit there a few years bac. It was an M Series Mapex kit in Honey Amber...my pride and joy which my arsehole ex-wife forced me to eventually sell.
That shop jump through hoops...and they are drummers as well and ONLY sell drums.
I recall I wanted to extend my kit and they went to the trouble of ordering some toms in for me from overseas to match the existing kit...they made money, I was made happy...guess it's what it's all about.
They are still there, and still trading.

Website...
http://www.manchesterdrum.com/

Last edited:
I will happily vouch for Rockem. They're great guys, and cheap too, cheapest I've found.

The guys in Andertones, Guildford are also nice guys, but a little pricey.

Round my way I've got Rockem in Rotherham, Drum Stop in Sheffield and Electro Music in Doncaster, all within a short drive and good guys all.

Willie Wright (Sunderland Music) in Sunderland, basically does only second hand but an absolute gold mine of kits from all eras and more spares than you could ever imagine. Many name drummers use him for bits and bobs.

Another vote for Drumshop in Washington/Gateshead and for Manchester Drum Centre in eccles. There's also Electro Music and Doncaster and ADC drums in Liverpool.

Scheerers in Leeds in nothing to do with John Shearer (note the different spellings) who used to have the big shop down south. Scheerers is a very long established Leeds music shop.

Drum Central Glasgow closed in December, but there's still one in Edinburgh which I think may be closing down soon. That's all I can think of, there are a few more drum shops in Glasgow but I'm not sure where they all are or if they still exist. Alot of the guitar shops have been closed down though.

Rhythm Base in Comercial St is still there and doing a roaring trade. Nice, helpful guys too, although I shop around on line always before commiting to a purchase. I use Rockem and Drumshop regularly too by interweb/mail order.

Togg;1040776 You can still get caught out online said:
As per my previous post, these two enterprises aren't linked. It was John SHEARER who ran the shop in London. He's nothing to do with SCHEERER'S, the long standing music shop in Leeds.

Sound attak in Colchester and Hornchurch, Essex , Drum stop, Midlands, Drum shop, up north, Poole percussion, south/southwest, Anglian drum centre, Norfolk. Thery're out there! I can recommend sound attak, used them for 7 years and they really look after the customer. It's a dedicated drum store too, and they mail order!

They stock 20 odd kits in Colchester, and a few more in Hornchurch, 30-50 snares, loads of cymbals and hardware. It's awesome!

Unfortunately, Poole Percussion is reportedly closing down.

IIRC, the closest drum store to me is Drumbank in Bristol; but the nearest with a decent stock is Drumwright in Reading: 420 mile round trip.

Stumbled across this thread whilst searching for something else, but I'd like to throw my hat in the ring! My local drum shop is Manchester Drum Centre, located in an old mill in Eccles on the outskirts of Manchester. I bought my first kit from these guys and they've gone from strength to strength since then, with expansions, more equipment, amazing staff and the odd clinic or two! Make sure you check them out! http://www.manchesterdrum.co.uk/

I'd like to give another thumbs up to Rockem in Rotherham. I've bought much of my drum gear from them & they've never let me down.
Sadly Scheerers in Leeds closed down last year. I bought my first snare from them.

A1 in Manchester had a great drum cellar they sold it on, it was sold again and is now closed.

A1? It's been a while since I left Manchester but I think I would still remember all the drum shops. Where exactly was it?

I can vouch highly for the Manchester Drum Centre which is actually in Eccles near Manchester..

Yes, very good shop with helpful staff. However I lived on the other side of town so I usually ended up going into Johnny Roadhouse if I needed cymbals or something out of the ordinary. I hope they're still in business. John, the drum salesman, seemed always to be a bit moody but he nonetheless let me try out the cymbals for what must have seemed like an eternity to him.

Then of course there was good 'ole John Rose's music shop in Sale, just down the road from my Gran's. He had decent prices and stock on heads, sticks, hardware, plus loads of random accessories and spare parts. It was a great local shop for the working drummer. I heard he finally passed away some time ago. RIP John.

Here's a funny little anecdote... When John and his band were touring Europe in a van in the late 60s or 70s they had a traffic accident in the south of France. John eventually left Perpignan hospital with a slight limp which I only really noticed many years after we'd first met (he was always sat down on a drum throne next to the till when I saw him, usually tuning up guitars or whatever!). He only told me about his accident when I mentioned that I'd be moving to Perpignan with my French girlfriend. A few years later and my son was born in that same hospital. An expression about a small world comes to mind...

I'm been to Drum-Stop in Sheffield a couple of times and bought cymbals from a very knowledgable and friendly guy there. However, the last time I went I asked for help deciding on a kit to get and ended up with a guy who didn't really know what he was doing. He tried to recommend a Pearl Export but when I asked why he recommended that kit over others in the same price range he couldn't give me a reason. It's a shame for them because I was ready to buy a kit I liked, but in the end they lost a sale. I'd go again, but only on a weekday when they're more likely to have the full-timers in.

I went to Electro Music in Doncaster on Saturday with more of an idea of what I wanted and was very happy with their drum department's selection given that they appear more of a guitar shop. The staff there were very knowledgable and helpful, and helped pack my new kit in the car masterfully. I felt bad in retrospect for not giving the guy a tip! I ended up walking out with an absolute bargain: Natal Spirit Custom Birch WITH hardware for £599.

Another addition: Drum Depot, Cardiff.

Stumbled across this thread whilst searching for something else, but I'd like to throw my hat in the ring! My local drum shop is Manchester Drum Centre, located in an old mill in Eccles on the outskirts of Manchester. I bought my first kit from these guys and they've gone from strength to strength since then, with expansions, more equipment, amazing staff and the odd clinic or two! Make sure you check them out! http://www.manchesterdrum.co.uk/

But not Sonor I found out recently....

And they wouldn't discuss why they don't stock any Sonor equipment.

Back