What 18" crash would be suitable for constant crashing for rock genre

Johnson93

I'm looking to buy a new 18" crash cymbal to use for my band, we play pop rock which requires a lot of crash use in the choruses. I have the Zildjian 18" A custom crash in mind. What you think?

Sam

By "constant crashing", do you mean riding on the crash? I have 16, 17, and 18 A Custom projections and they all sound good, but I like the 17 the best.

Iv been using my 16" zildjian zht crash for it but I need something bigger with a good enough sound to cut through

Not sure where you're located but the best bet wold be to check out Craigslist or Ebay and find a 18" used crash, preferably one that looks somewhat new.

I'd check out either the Zildjian A crash or the Sabian AA or AAX. Very popular rides and you should have no trouble finding a good deal on a used one.

I use an 18" zildjian A custom Fast crash. It's good for repetitive crashing because it doesn't swell up like regular A customs will.

I don't think I've ever heard an 18" crash that wouldn't work in that role (thick/thin, b8/b15/b20, whatever). I prefer larger cymbals (18" +) but have crashed away on cymbals as small as 15" and the point still gets across (though not quite as loudly). It's not all that different than bashing away on open hi hats if you think about it.

One the thick vs thin consideration: thinner cymbals work well but you have to play straighter 8ths volume-wise to keep the dynamic up since they decay so quickly. Thicker cymbals work just as well and give you more room to relax since their inertia will help keep them loud between quarter notes.

Beyond that, only thing you really need to care about is that cymbal sounds good - to you.

I use an 18" zildjian A custom Fast crash. It's good for repetitive crashing because it doesn't swell up like regular A customs will.

I have a 14", 16" and 18" Zildjian A Custom, but rarely use the 18" because it takes up a lot of space on the kit and it rings for a long time.

I'm sure each company has a great crash that can be constantly crashed. It's like asking what is your favorite kind of chocolate. If you're going to be constantly crashing it, you'd probably want something higher end because you'll be hearing that thing constantly crashing.

I'm looking to buy a new 18" crash cymbal to use for my band, we play pop rock which requires a lot of crash use in the choruses. I have the Zildjian 18" A custom crash in mind. What you think?

Sam

I have 16, 18, 20 A Custom crashes on my kit. I actually use the 20" for constant crashing. Has a nice longer ring to it, and the tones nicely linger throughout the chorus.
I have it positioned right over the ride so I can choose either option.

It's kinda beastly and powerful though at that size.

Thanks for the ideas, I'm going to have a good think about it, I want a great sounding crash which will cut through the guitars

Go bigger! I am a big fan of the Sabian AA Metal-X. Not sure if they still even make them. I have been out of the game for a while. They are thick enough that they can take a beating, but not so thick that they are clunky sounding or brittle like I find Z customs to be. Zildjian A cst, Sabian AAX are great for it too.

I have 17" and 18" Paiste 2oo2 crashes and I love them. Especially the 18" really inspire me. The 2oo2 crashes are very bright and cutting (e.g. Bonham used them) and they're perfect for the kinda rock/pop/studio setting I'm in. I think they sound like they've already been EQ'd and compressed, even though you're just playing them raw in your basement. Check them out.

Depends on the sound your looking for. I think what your describing is called wash riding. Medium thin crashes are great for rock. I love my sabian studio crash but you should compare a few online and in store to decide what sound fits best with yourstyle and other cymbals

What would be better for me. Zildjian avedis custom 18 crash or Zildjian avedis 18 medium thin crash?
Only you know what would be better for you. You need to try and play both to see which one you like better. Probably the biggest difference between the two is that the Medium-Thin A is heavier than the A Custom (thin).

I did the same comparison recently and came away with the A Custom, but I've had both in the past and don't think you could go wrong with either, though the As typically have more variation from one cymbal to the next than the A Customs, so there's that to consider.

I'm sure each company has a great crash that can be constantly crashed. It's like asking what is your favorite kind of chocolate. If you're going to be constantly crashing it, you'd probably want something higher end because you'll be hearing that thing constantly crashing.

My favourite is Reese's Peanutbutter cups!

Back