Need help with customizing.

PeniScott

Silver Member
I'm bored of having a black kit and i don't have the money to buy a new one when it's slightly pointless really.

Would spray paint stick and STAY on the finish of the shells and also on the hardware?

Also, besides spending loads on an expensive can, is there any way of getting glitter in a colour spray can or mixing glitter with paint then putting it in a spray can?

If it's any use to know, i never use my second rack tom so i can test stuff on that.

xoxo

I'm no pro at this stuff, but I would imagine you would want to remove the black wrapping (I am assuming its a wrap) to expose the real wood at the very least before applying any finish to it. I don't think regular spray paint would do a very good job sticking (to the black wrap), but I believe they make a lot of different kinds of paints and its possible one out there might do the trick. For example, they make paint designed to go over laminates on cabinetry, so finding paint to stick to a very smooth surface like a drum-wrap might not be impossible.

As for the glitter, don't know. I have never seen anything like what you might be thinking of.

I would definitely do some research on this before jumping in head first or you'll end making a huge mess, at least with that one rack tom.

Krylon makes a spray can paint called Fusion that is designed to be sprayed on to plastic which is what most wraps are made of. Taking all of the wrap off can be time consuming and very tricky. I would suggest removing the hard ware, and spraying the drums a solid color or masking off sections and using blue fine line painters tape. Regular masking tape will allow paint to seep underneath and make for a crappy edge. Here are some photos of a snare I just finished. Whatever you decide take your time and don't be afraid to ask questions. The www.ghostnote.com site is a great suggestion.

Attachments

• CIMG0615.JPG
    CIMG0615.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 563
  • CIMG0624.JPG
    CIMG0624.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 569
  • CIMG0626.JPG
    CIMG0626.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 568
Krylon makes a spray can paint called Fusion that is designed to be sprayed on to plastic which is what most wraps are made of. Taking all of the wrap off can be time consuming and very tricky. I would suggest removing the hard ware, and spraying the drums a solid color or masking off sections and using blue fine line painters tape. Regular masking tape will allow paint to seep underneath and make for a crappy edge. Here are some photos of a snare I just finished. Whatever you decide take your time and don't be afraid to ask questions. The www.ghostnote.com site is a great suggestion.

No way, Fusion sticks to the wrap!? I had imagined it would eventually chip...

Thanks for the info!

Although it's a good idea, i think i'll stick with solid colours for now rather than striped etc. Just need to get a little experience first before i experiment.

And how much is/are Fusion?

xoxo

I think the Fusion was about 6.00 USD per can. As for chipping, any paint will chip in hit with another object. The idea with the Fusion over plastic or wraps is that it won't bead up upon spraying and will dry just as it goes on. Many thin coats are necessary. Too much too soon and it like any spray will run. My yellow drum above is about 4 coats.

Last edited:
I think the Fusion was about 6.00 USD per can. As for chipping, any paint will chip in hit with another object. The idea with the Fusion over plastic or wraps is that it won't bead up upon spraying and will dry just as it goes on. Many thin coats are necessary. Too much too soon and it like any spray will run. My yellow drum above is about 4 coats.

Wow, that is a cool paint job.

Peniscott if you are still reading, please do not paint the lugs or hardware. You will be sorry. Take the time to take the hardware off and spray the shell. You can see in my photo I used an old broom stick to roll the drum shell on to paint it. Also glitters are going to be very uneven and not something for a novice to attempt. Please let us help if you need it.

What kind of drums are you getting ready to murderize?

This isnt like a round badge gretch set your dad gave you is it?

Lol, I'm not the OP but I'm just gonna play around with this old no name set I've got sitting around. It's been my 'test' set for many of other things.

And most def listen to GD, painting the hardware would be a mistake of a lifetime.

I'm gonna look into some type of clearcoat that my protect the paint. Maybe an auto gloss?

Taking off the hardware was the first thing i was going to do anyway. And the kit i'm thinking of customizing is my first and only kit. CB Drums beginner set which 99% of the time never leaves my house. But since i DON'T use my second rack tom i'm going to do some small test patches on that to see how it turns out.

Therefore, i honestly don't care about messing up one tom. Also, how well does spray paint stay on the front of bass heads because I'm hoping to go over the logo and put my bands name on it for a video next week.

One more point, how does shell wrap go on? do you get the size(s) you want and then mark out holes for the lugs etc then put it over the shell with glue? Just wondering if that'd be any easier considering putting glitter into the paint would be hard according to someone who posted recently (and who's name i can't remember, sorry!)

Thanks for the 'vice so far guys!
xoxo

I just finished spraying a bass drum head flat white with the Krylon Fusion and it was easy as pie, or cake, or Tacos.

Some wraps are glued on some use double sided tape just at the ends and the hardware holds it on. But to put on new wrap, I would suggest putting it on first then putting holes in the wrap where the holes in the shell are. You will never put the holes in the wrap and then get them to line up after the fact. There is also a product that can be found on eBay that is very thin and goes on like a wrap. A sheet big enough for an entire set is 60.00. I think there are 4 colors to choose from. Go to eBay, Musical Instruments, Drums, then look for accessories. You will find it. It is probably not to durable but if your drums never leave the house it won't matter.

Just started taking the lugs off the unused rack tom and by next week I'll have enough money to order some Krylon Fusion paint and see how that turns out on a patch of it!

I'll keep you posted
xoxo

UPDATE: The lugs and everything is off the tom and today i bought some small plastic spray cans consisting of 4 colours. Just to see what works and doesn't work and if i'm intellectually able to achieve finishes like sunbursts or other fades etc and other methods like taping off sections and so on.

i have white, red, relatively dark yellow and 'chrome' which sounds interesting!

I was hoping to get my kit sprayed and finished by next tuesday for the video my band are shooting but that's not gunna happen considering i'm stll experimenting and i'm busy til then, however it's still good to have at gigs!

ONE more question. Would this spray paint stick to the front of bass heads? As in, i want to erase the 'CB Drums' logo and replace it with my bands one, does it just spray on and it's done?

If my mum lets me borrow her camera, I'll keep you guys posted!
xoxo

I have used Krylon regular and and Krylon Fusion to paint my bass drum heads. They will cause some deadening but nothing distract.

Hi guys, any chance you could tell me how to remove a wrap and do all the varnishing and stuff, i really want to do my superstars over in a nice wood finish, i'm thinking staining them maybe?

Any help you could give would be great.

cheers

Wraps are put on many ways. Some glued at the overlap and held on with the hardware. Some are glued the entire back of the wrap. The hardest part is removing any glue that is still on the outside ply once the wrap is removed. the condition of the outside ply will determine wether or not you can stain them or have to use another method. This last bunch I did had a variety of wood conditions. The bass drum was horrendous and took a lot of prep. One of the toms was absolutely perfect and just a little sanding was necessary. Make sure you know what you are doing before you go helter skelter into taking off wraps. I am not an expert by any means but have been working with wood for a long time. If you use stain, you have to paint or rub it on, and then rub off the excess. You don't just paint it on. It will look like crap and take forever to dry. If you have questions, ask.

Back