Keith Carlock - OMG!

Stickman

Silver Member
Saw Steely Dan recently which was fantastic.. I'm a confirmed Dan fanatic; have all their LPs, CDs, books, T-shirt - plus I know all their tunes inside out. I thought I knew Keith Carlock as an amazing drummer.. but WoW I need a better word than amazing to describe his musical chops factory! While watching him kill it repeatedly.. I thought, if Buddy Rich were still around, he would be totally blown away by this guy. Totally awesome.. if you get a chance to see them on tour or catch his accompanying drum clinics don't miss it!

Keith Carlock is definitely one of my favorites too. He's really taken the "wait for it" moment to the extreme as he builds up in his solos, but an awesome groove monster!

Keith is another good reason to visit the London Drum Show this year, along with other decidedly lame players like Todd Sucherman, Gavin Harrison, Eric Harland, & Michele Drees - & that's just the Saturday lineup!!!

Yes, but we're trying to secure the Sticks4Drums Saturn roadshow & a special "capes without mothers" feature for next year. Does that count? ;)

That would count - along with Wailin' Smash doing his solo thing as the grand finale.
Also, Larry and I would love to come out and do some duets as a comedy team. We're practicing juggling with the bowling pins ;)

Also, Larry and I would love to come out and do some duets as a comedy team. We're practicing juggling with the bowling pins ;)

I know that Pennsylvania to California pin toss....I keep over throwing and hitting China.

Yes, but we're trying to secure the Sticks4Drums Saturn roadshow & a special "capes without mothers" feature for next year. Does that count? ;)

Wow....I know I just damaged at least one of my kidneys...LMAO.

More OT,Moxman.......Keith is the kind of guy that is constantly revaluating his playing,kind of like Dave Weckl and Jo Jo Mayer do.He always seems to surprise you,just when you're already in awe of his skills.Simon Phillips does that to me also.

Glad you enjoyed "The Dan" i saw them a short while ago the the Beacon theatre in NYC,and they just tore it up.

Steve B

Wow....I know I just damaged at least one of my kidneys...LMAO.

More OT,Moxman.......Keith is the kind of guy that is constantly revaluating his playing,kind of like Dave Weckl and Jo Jo Mayer do.He always seems to surprise you,just when you're already in awe of his skills.Simon Phillips does that to me also.

Glad you enjoyed "The Dan" i saw them a short while ago the the Beacon theatre in NYC,and they just tore it up.

Steve B
Simon's pencilled in for next year, but I shouldn't have said that ;)

I'm really looking forward to seeing Keith, if I can get away. I say that each year, & always miss out because I'm working the exhibition.

Yes.. I saw the Dave Weckl clinic a while back which was good (liked him better first time I saw him several years ago), but while I watching Keith play I was thinking 'this is the 'Next' guy! I've seen many heavy players over the years (from Weckl, Mangini, Peart, Mayer, Hernadez, Lang and even Buddy Rich (3 times!)... but Keith totally blew my mind.

The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the band's new spin on Los Wages (Show Biz Kids)... they funked it up with an offbeat accent throughout (like James Brown) that seemed kinda awkward when overlaid with the vocal line .. but other that, 10/10.

Last edited:
Keith is great - I've seen him play a bunch of times around town. It's really cool to see him in a small club with players like Oz Noy and Wayne Krantz. The Oz Noy gig is fun because it's every Monday night and although Oz rotates rhythm sections - Keith is often playing. Because the gig is low key - they're just having fun and stretching out.

Simon's pencilled in for next year, but I shouldn't have said that ;)

I'm really looking forward to seeing Keith, if I can get away. I say that each year, & always miss out because I'm working the exhibition.

Don't worry Andy, I'll mind things while you break away to watch KC. You can trust me as I'm surrounded by all of those Guru drums.

Saw Steely Dan recently which was fantastic.. I'm a confirmed Dan fanatic; have all their LPs, CDs, books, T-shirt - plus I know all their tunes inside out. I thought I knew Keith Carlock as an amazing drummer.. but WoW I need a better word than amazing to describe his musical chops factory! While watching him kill it repeatedly.. I thought, if Buddy Rich were still around, he would be totally blown away by this guy. Totally awesome.. if you get a chance to see them on tour or catch his accompanying drum clinics don't miss it!

I saw Steely Dan too this summer at Musikfest (in my area), and Keith Carlock was amazing.

Going to see Steely Dan Friday night out here in Boston...cant wait!! Keith Carlock is absolutely amazing with them as he is with whomever hes playing with!

Really enjoyed Steely Dan and Keith here in St. Louis this month! Great show and Keith impressed me.

Back