Starclassic maple or DW collectors

vazer

Hi i would like your opinions, what do you think about those kits? are they comparable in sound and quality?
i have the chance to buy a 4pc (10,12,14,22) dw collectors from 2004 used in very good condition or a 4pc (10,12,16,22)tama starclassic maple new
the collectors it's much more expensive than the starclassic in this case
thanks

If money isn't a problem dw all the way!

Tama are good drums but the build quality of dw is on another level.

The best Tama kits were the early 80's Superstars not to be confused with the Superstars they do now, I had a Japan made early 1980's tobacco sunburst Superstar and part ex-ed it for another kit which I no longer have.

Yes I'm still angry with myself for getting rid of it!

This is tough call. I am admittedly a Tama fanboy, so I may be a bit biased but I would go with the Starclassics. I have always found the DW's to be a bit boxy sounding for my taste. the SC Maples should be more expressive. However, I will say that DW's are the easiest drums to tune I have ever played. I also like the 16" floor tom.

I feel the whole point of buying a Collectors set is to go through the process of having it "custom" made for you. Choosing the finish ply, the color, the shell construction, the sizes, the hardware finish, etc. That's why you buy a Collectors kit. Buying it used is like buying someone else's kit that was designed for their sound and image. Yeah its a bit cheaper than buying new, but you are still paying a hell of a lot of money for someone else's custom kit. You can get 90% of the sound of a Collectors for half the price by buying a Performance kit. Literally made in the same factory, from the same wood, by the same people as a Collectors kit.

The Starclassic is a bit more generic in its design and finish, but still carries along with it excellent hardware and construction. This is why it costs less, but it is also more generic and will sell a bit easier if you ever change your mind and get a new set in the future.

As for sound, DW's do have a certain sound to them. It may just be those silly "partially muted" heads they put on, but it may be due to the shells as well. I don't think either sounds bad, but they do sound a bit different. Most people say DW's have more body and better "grunt" in their floor toms than other manufacturers. I haven't heard anyone complain about the Starclassics floor toms leaving them wanting more, so...

Just do the right thing and buy the DW. Thirty seconds after you buy the Tama it will be worth half what you pay for it. Two years from now it will be worth $500. As far as sound quality I like both but give the edge to DW easily. Anyone that says they sound "boxy" is just trying to convince themselves that their own kit is as good. The DW is a very thin maple ply shell with 45 degree edges, while the Tama is slightly thicker maple ply shell also with 45 degree edges. How the DW ends up sounding "boxy" I can't figure. Bottom line the DW will hold its value way better and in my opinion sounds better too. Win-Win for the DW.

And the "Overstatement of the Year" award goes to....

A little overstated, but relevant. DW Collectors hold their value better. I've watched two Starclassic maple kits sell for $600 here in Tucson in the past year and both were really excellent kits. I was honestly surprised at how low they sold (and kind of mad I didn't buy one).

I agree with everything everyone has said. DW will hold their value better, like everyone has mentioned I've also seen Starclassics go super cheap on the used market. However, DW's have a signature sound to them that you either like or don't, I don't think I'd call it boxy though. Anyway go play them and see what you like. Resale value doesn't matter if you don't plan on reselling after all.

Or buy a used starclassic maple and have a cocaine + prostitute weekend in mexico.

Or buy a used starclassic maple and have a cocaine + prostitute weekend in mexico.

This right here, is the way to go.

They're both great kits. If you can try them both out, that would be even better.

Personally, I find 14" floor toms completely useless, so that's a strike against the DW. Plus the DW hardware is... heavy as hell. It'll definitely focus the sound more.

IMO, if you buy an instrument and are thinking about its resell value... don't buy it.

This is ridiculously awesome advice, WOOOOO!!!!!!! But personally, I don't have too much experience with Starclassics', but I had three DW Collectors Series sets in the past and can attest to their build quality being flawless. This is not a knock at the quality of a Starclassic, because I've seen and heard them, and they seemed very nice as well. Let your ears tell you which way to go, if you can play a set of both.

Hi i would like your opinions, what do you think about those kits? are they comparable in sound and quality?
i have the chance to buy a 4pc (10,12,14,22) dw collectors from 2004 used in very good condition or a 4pc (10,12,16,22)tama starclassic maple new
the collectors it's much more expensive than the starclassic in this case
thanks

Why are you only looking at those two brands? There are lots of brands out there and a lot of them make awesome drums. Unless either company was courting you for an endorsement deal, you owe it to yourself to see what other companies can provide.

On the other hand, I get being a fan of either one. But you should see if you can be a fan for more than those two.

Thanks to all of you for your opinions, i can't try the kits bu myself i have to buy online
I want a maple kit and those kits have the sound i want when i've seen YouTube vídeos

Back