The "I wish I hadn't opened my big mouth" thread ;)

You could always reposition a boulder or two in your garden and "drop" one on your big toe.

"Gee, I'd love to play, but my toe is knackered - I'll have to sit this one out. Maybe next year?!?

I'll be playing with Yolanda & her collection of uber musicians :) Thank goodness for that eh! Imagine solo = no friggin way man!!!

You are an accomplished musician

It's a party so the focus could be more on schmoozing than critiquing you

If you can promote your drum line, all the better

Having said that I defiantly would be nervous but eventually would think there is only one way to go and that is up.For me, and just me, I would keep it simple stupid and let the members of your band shine.
In fact I would think that would gain more cred for you; could you imagine a drummer going in to a situation like that and thinking " yea, I'm going to show these guys what I'm all about". Even more so if you can play one of your full kits, for me if I am checking out a kit I want to hear everything but not in a flurry of stick work; again this just my own quirk but I find that when I get a chance to play a really high quality kit the less effort I have to put in to make the music work.

Anyway; you and your mates, Break a leg.

Break a leg.

Bruce, I'll be stepping into a situation with band players who are so far ahead of me it doesn't warrant comparison. I'm ok with that. If I keep it brutally simple, & just concentrate on my favourite playing element (bass drum placement), then I'll be fine. I also know Yolanda will be supportive in a playing sense, so there's comfort there too.

As for drumming mega stars being present, there'll certainly be some, but who, I don't know. Usually, a few of the MainStage players like to hang at the after party, some don't. Having them there doesn't phase me, because I don't compare myself to anyone. So long as I have fun, that will spill over into my playing, even though it will be brutally stripped back.

I'll try to get someone to record it. The venue is a crowded pub. Pretty narrow & long, on two levels. Not easy to film. Band setup is minimal bar gig style, with almost no stage area room. Cozy :)

Awesome! Do your thang, Andy. Just dont try and be Keith, or Todd, and it will sound great. Trust me.

Last edited:
ok listen my man .....

I've heard you play quite a bit

trust those instincts that are always evident in your expression and exercise the patience and tasteful restraint that you always display and you will sound fantastic

part ways with the doubt bro.... please

I'm not huge on whipping out compliments just to stroke peoples egos so I don't often offer them ... but you can play Andy

you are one of the most humble open minded cats here

go do what YOU do

Thank you everyone, & now I've had time to reflect, this has become the "I'm glad I opened my big mouth" thread :)

Awesome! Do your thang, Andy. Just dont try and be Keith, or Todd, at it will sound great. Trust me.

Thanks for chiming in Abe - miss you here :(

The beauty of being me is that there's no way on this planet I'd ever be deluded enough to try & "impress" such players, so no pressure there :)

but you can play Andy
Subjective of course Anthony, but I very much appreciate your sage like advice & support.

Let's be honest here, I'm a simple basher with an extremely limited repertoire. I know that, I embrace that, & I'm happy in my shell. The only advantages I have over some other players is fairly good ears & an approach to gigging that's utterly devoid of ego. In this scenario, both play to my advantage. I have the additional fuzzy feeling of being cosseted by a bass player who will look after my interests. If I can merely be a foundation for others to shine, that's job done for me - in spades :)

You can do it Andy! Nothing virtuoso here, only plain groove, you're good at it :)
Very kind of you to say that. Yeah, I'm now looking forward to it (although with a healthy dose of trepidation). Yolanda uses players like Nicolas Viccaro (have you heard him go for it? = insane!). I'll never get close to that, but I'm hoping I don't have to. An early evening slot would suit me fine, y'know, before it gets "silly".

Very kind of you to say that. Yeah, I'm now looking forward to it (although with a healthy dose of trepidation). Yolanda uses players like Nicolas Viccaro (have you heard him go for it? = insane!). I'll never get close to that, but I'm hoping I don't have to. An early evening slot would suit me fine, y'know, before it gets "silly".

You don't need to be close, you need to be you. One very important thing: whenever you're playing just be yourself, don't try to overplay just because the audience is composed by drummers. Good insight of info here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un3p614XExc

If things go badly, you can always trash the kit on stage in a fury, then straighten up and say, "I meant to do that",

My advice is "More cowbell". It seems to be a safety net in situations like this. People will just go crazy saying "more cowbell" and you can safely sneak away while they're all going into fits of ecstasy.

The guitar player in my blues band asked if I would be interested in drumming on a sort of re-establishing of one of his old bands. I said, "Sure!" Well, it turns out that one of the other members was a woman whom I'm a big fan of. She's very well known locally. She has a great Bonnie Raitt vibe about her. I got a text yesterday that we're all getting together for a jam this weekend. I'm a bit nervous...

Don't be nervous! You need to wear a gown. That way you'll look like Hugh Heff. And we all know what that does for him....

...I'm pretty sure it's the gown...

don't try to overplay just because the audience is composed by drummers.
Drummers being in the audience is the best reason I can think of to not over play. I'll leave that honour to everyone else :)

If things go badly, you can always trash the kit on stage in a fury, then straighten up and say, "I meant to do that",
There's every possibility we'll be providing the kit, so that certainly won't be happening!

I can lend you a sparkly frock and a pink wig. You can change into them afterwards and nobody will ever recognise you ;)

Back