FLOOR TOM POSITIONING: FLAT OR TILTED

As a beginner I had them tilted a lot. Over the years they've flattened out. The rebound is more natural for me because I'm not bending my wrists when striking them. Gotta have the memory locks.

Tilted. I don't like doing rimshots on floors.

It doesn't really matter to me just as long as I'm not hitting the rims I'm good.

Tilted...AWAY from me...Carlock style. I saw him doing it, gave it a try...seems to work well when I'm playing traditional. Certain he isn't the first to do this, but he's the first I've seen live. By the way...that man is an animal.

Barely tilted. If I want it flat I just lower the higher legs.

Last edited:
tilted about 5 degrees towards my bass drum
I don't know if that's a very good explanation though haha

I sit with my bass drum slightly to my right...so it's lined up w/ my foot. I learned this from Matt Ritter's video. With that...everything to the right of the kit feels slightly farther away, so I like to set my floor tom completely flat...and then tilt it ever so slightly forward (toward the kick) to put the center of the head more in line w/ my right arm.

There's my anal-retentive answer.

My 14" is flat, and my 16" is slightly lower than the 14". (Edit) So they aren't tilted.

I like mine tilted at a slight angle. Like maybe just raised a little bit for my first floor tom and my second one I like flat.

I tilt mine slightly away from the bass drum and slightly toward me. Not much tilt, Just a few degrees.

Back