Playing Moby Dick

Mxwl17

Hey guys, It's been a while!

My band Missing Cat is playing a show soon and we talked and have all agreed that we'll cover Moby Dick and I'll have the honors of playing the huge drum solo. I will be incorporating the classic triplets, hand playing, perpetual hi hat, and some licks that Bonham always did when playing the song. For the most part however, I will make it my own and original. Here is where the question comes in; How long should I make this solo?? Lately I have timed it and it comes in anywhere between the 8-12 minute mark. Mind you this is also including the non-solo part with the intro and outro which consist of the full band. I'm just not sure how long I should make this solo last as I do not want to bore the crowd to death. I've seen it played live before at a small show and the crowd loved it, and that was at least a 10 minute solo! So please help, and if you have any other ideas or advice don't be afraid to share!
Thanks, Max

Perhaps our responses could be construed as sarcastic. Sorry. But really, Moby Dick is such a seminal drum solo track, that I think regardless of how great you may play it (solo and all), you'll never top the original. That's why I suggest such a short time unless you guys are a true tribute band where the crowd expects you guys to do the song (like an Elvis or Beatles band).

I thought when Dread Zeppelin recorded Moby Dick for one of their records, they kept the solo to really a beat and the Elvis guy talking over it, which I thought was a great idea. There are millions of people out there I'm sure could just play the crap out of that Bonham solo, but really, I think it's all for naught. He and Zeppelin are too much of an icon. I don't think Zeppelin did Moby Dick either for their reunion in 2007 (I think?) with Jason Bonham, and that was a smart move too.

one minute. no offense am a huge Bonham fan but in todays short attention spans most audiences will lose interest after that.
actually i think the opening riff part of that tune is great and should have been stretched out more. maybe your band wishes to try that.
good luck and enjoy.

The band I was in used to do a cover of Supernaut by Black Sabbath. Instead of the little instrumental jam in the middle of the song, I was tasked with doing a solo. I always tried to keep it in the rhythm of the little jam part, and it lasted about a minute or so. It was just long enough to be cool but short enough to keep everybody's attention.

If you play the song, I say keep the solo short. Moby Dick is an awesome song, but I agree that attention spans will not outlast it.

Without knowing what type of event you're playing, and the age group that's going to be there, and their attitude ..... it's a tough call. So, be prepared to play just a short solo ..... and if the crowd looks like they're really into it .... then extend your time.​

I agree with the others, limit the solo to just a couple minutes. There is a local band a buddy of mine is in and I've seen them numerous times, they cover Moby Dick and the drummer pulls off the hand playing and a few other things during the solo. To be honest when he does the hands on the drums even as a drummer I lose interest, let's face it he's not Bonham and they aren't a tribute band. When I see a drum solo I'm more interested in seeing the creativity of what the drummer can come up with rather than trying to copy a solo a drumming icon has done .

I would just pass on the tune entirely.With little exception,I find drum solos kind of boring,especially the longer ones.......including Moby Dick,AKA Pats Delight.

I just watched "The Song Remains The Same" not an hour ago.The first and last 2 minutes of Bonzos solo held my interest,and I've seen Zep live several times in the late 60's 70's.

Those prolonged drums solos like in Moby Dick,Break Song and Toad are something out of a different time.

Steve B

in my opinion it is best to just not play the tune

if you are not Zeppelin ....just leave it alone I think

nothing more boring to me than to watch some band play Zeppelin badly

I mean no disrespect to bands playing Zeppelin tunes....but I have never in my life heard a band play a Zeppelin tune well .... especially if they are trying to sound like Zeppelin

to me it's like watching some old cats play the long version of Free Bird off One More From the Road.....or some weak version of Mustang Sally

I always feel embarrassed for them ...... just a personal thing ...I've seen bars full of drunk people jam out to these tunes.....just not something I can dig on at all

I understand it's all in fun and they are just trying to have a good time......to me it's just not a good look

and there is no faster way to lose an audience than to play a drum solo that lasts longer than 8 bars

Last edited:
If the gig in question is specifically with a Led Zep tribue band, then I'd say go for it and solo to your hearts content, because that's how Bonham would have done it.

But if the band is not a Led Zep tribute act, then I have to agree to just not do it, or at least keep it super short.

Most people going to a bar/club to see a band aren't going to remain captivated by a drum solo, even if by drummer standards it's amazing. The old joke was the drum solo was when most people in the audience went to the bathroom or to get another beer.

I like Zep, and love Bonham, but I've always thought Moby Dick to be the bands least interesting tune.

so when is someone going to cover Bonzo's Montreux?

"Man I ain't believing that s**t about Bonham's one hour drum solo man. I mean one hour of drums, you couldn't handle that s**t on strong acid man." -Slater, Dazed and Confused

Last edited:
I think that what has not been said here is that there have been some major discussions on drum solos here (someone have a link to one of the many threads?) and the concensus is that there is none. I think its fair to say that the majority of DW drummer members dont like drum solos. I said majority and I think that is right-please remember that that statement leaves lots of room for those who do like them but, I believe, they are the minority.

I would rather hear a deep pocket money beat for 5 minutes than a blazing drum solo.

That said, if you really could nail it, it would be incredible and totally unheard of. You be the judge.

I would have a 3 solos worked out. One that lasts a minute, one that goes about 2 and one full length solo. That way you can best fit the solo to the crowd/venue/night/pants.

Back