Most "iconic" drum parts from each decade?

Eggman

Here's something I was thinking about and thought might make a fun thread, and a quick search didn't find anything exactly the same.

What would you pick as the most iconic drum part from each decade (as far back as you can go)? In other words, what song has the most recognizable drum part, that even non-drummers could hear and immediately know what song it is?

Here are my choices:

1930s: Louis Prima - Sing Sing Sing (Gene Krupa)
1940s: Dizzy Gillespie - Salt Peanuts (Kenny Clarke)
1950s: Elvis Presley - Jailhouse Rock (DJ Fontana)
1960s: The Surfaris - Wipe Out (Ron Wilson)
1970s: Led Zeppelin - When The Levee Breaks (John Bonham)
1980s: Toto - Rosanna (Jeff Porcaro)
1990s: Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Dave Grohl)
2000s: Meshuggah - Bleed (Thomas Haake)

Some of these were really tough decisions (e.g. there's no Ringo, Copeland, Peart, Gadd, etc.), but you can only pick one from each decade!

1930s: Louis Prima - Sing Sing Sing (Gene Krupa) Agree
1940s: Don't know
1950s: Elvis Presley - Jailhouse Rock (DJ Fontana) Agree
1960s: The Surfaris - Wipe Out (Ron Wilson) Agree
1970s: Led Zeppelin - Rock and Roll (John Bonham) Right band, wrong song, LOL
1980s: Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight
1990s: Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Dave Grohl) Agree
2000s: Don't know

Here's something I was thinking about and thought might make a fun thread, and a quick search didn't find anything exactly the same.

What would you pick as the most iconic drum part from each decade (as far back as you can go)? In other words, what song has the most recognizable drum part, that even non-drummers could hear and immediately know what song it is?

Here are my choices:

1930s: Louis Prima - Sing Sing Sing (Gene Krupa)
1940s: Dizzy Gillespie - Salt Peanuts (Kenny Clarke)
1950s: Elvis Presley - Jailhouse Rock (DJ Fontana)
1960s: The Surfaris - Wipe Out (Ron Wilson)
1970s: Led Zeppelin - When The Levee Breaks (John Bonham)
1980s: Toto - Rosanna (Jeff Porcaro)
1990s: Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Dave Grohl)
2000s: Meshuggah - Bleed (Thomas Haake)

Some of these were really tough decisions (e.g. there's no Ringo, Copeland, Peart, Gadd, etc.), but you can only pick one from each decade!

This is a good list of rock and pop and shows some thought. I would tend to agree. Some people might be outraged that Ringo isn't there, but Ringo was a very bland drummer and barely audible in the mix.

Good thread, tough call!

For me, the 80's was "One", by Metallica.

90's w/ Teen Spirit is up there, for sure - I'd lean towards Jesus Christ Pose, Soundgarden myself though. "Three Days" by Jane's Addiction should get a mention...

The most iconic percussion I can think of, in terms of what most people would recognize, is "We Will Rock You" by Queen. (Although, technically not drumming. It's stomping and clapping, I think).

Also, the opening drum break from "Rock & Roll" by Zep.

Last edited:
The most iconic percussion I can think of, in terms of what most people would recognize, is "We Will Rock You" by Queen. (Although, technically not drumming. It's stomping and clapping, I think).

Oh, that's a good one!

If we were to make a list of iconic basslines, you'd better bet "Another Ones Bites The Dust" would be on there too. Queen definitely knew how to write memorable songs.

The 90s has me stumped. "Teen Spirit" is definitely an iconic song, and the drums certainly get your attention, but I don't think the drumming would be as recognizable as most of the others mentioned. In other words, if you we to sit at a kit without any other music, and bust out "Rock & Roll" or "Wipeout," non-drummers would know it instantly. I don't know if the same can be said for the drums in "Teen Spirit." But I am at a loss to come up with anything more recognizable from that decade.

For me, an iconic drum part would entail a song where even a non-musician would comment on how great the drummer is, so I think some more iconic choices from the 90s would be "You Could Be Mine" by Guns N'Roses, "Basket Case" by Green Day or "Everlong" by Foo Fighters.

The 2000s is a tough one, especially since it's so recent, but I'd say a song like "Follow You Home" from Nickelback might qualify. It's definitely got a drum part that would make anyone stand and take notice. The same would go for "Goodbye" from Army Of Anyone, but I don't know how well-known the song is.

The 90s has me stumped. "Teen Spirit" is definitely an iconic song, and the drums certainly get your attention, but I don't think the drumming would be as recognizable as most of the others mentioned. In other words, if you we to sit at a kit without any other music, and bust out "Rock & Roll" or "Wipeout," non-drummers would know it instantly. I don't know if the same can be said for the drums in "Teen Spirit." But I am at a loss to come up with anything more recognizable from that decade.

Something from Tool (AEnima and before)? Opening "Sober" roll? 46&2 "solo"?

As for Nirvana, drum-wise, "In Bloom" is probably more recognizable imo... the intro/interlude beat/fill.

It'd hard for me to not find a place for Joe Morello playing Take Five with Dave Brubeck.

And I agree with boomstick that 'Rock & Roll' is an even more iconic Bonham riff than 'Levee'.

I think "Teen Spirit" is most recognizable by that big opening fill, which is why I picked it. "In Bloom" is a good one too, though.

Each one of those picks were a tough decision. Blood Sugar Sex Magik" by Red Hot Chili Peppers has another very recognizable drum part too. As Fuo suggested, "Sober" by Tool is another contender. Primus has some great drum parts as well. So hard to pick just one!

Edit:
2000s was the toughest decision. I considered something Danny Carey, Taylor Hawkins, or even Meg White, but just couldn't come up with anything as uniquely-identifiable as Bleed.

Last edited:
Fool In The Rain came before Roseanna, but neither I would consider iconic for the 80's.
How about Hot For Teacher - VanHalen.

"Billie Jean" with drums by Leon "Ndugu" Chancler. You have to hear one subatomic millisecond of that beat to know wich song it is :)

Morten

Anyone who didn't say Hot for Teacher by Van Halen for the 1980's is a fool. Everyone, and I mean dang near EVERYONE, knows that opening lick.

For the 1990's, my vote goes for either Seven Nation Army or Enter Sandman.

Anyone who didn't say Hot for Teacher by Van Halen for the 1980's is a fool. Everyone, and I mean dang near EVERYONE, knows that opening lick.

For the 1990's, my vote goes for either Seven Nation Army or Enter Sandman.

Except Hot for Teacher is more of a 70's Billy Cobham riff .

Fool In The Rain came before Roseanna, but neither I would consider iconic for the 80's.
How about Hot For Teacher - VanHalen.

I'm the only one that said Hot For Teacher.
What do I win? How about the 390 bucks for spam posts!

I've never quoted myself before. Feels kinda creepy. (shudder)

Except Hot for Teacher is more of a 70's Billy Cobham riff .

Maybe so, but it's still easily the most recognizable drum beat in a song from the 1980's. Without ANY other instruments, anyone who's ever heard it will know it instantly.

Back