New Gretsch 3 ply Broadkaster line

I just got my newsletter from them and I wet myself. I really need one of those kits

I seen that on my newsfeed on fb a few hours ago, I like it! The lettering on the bassdrum gives it a nice touch and also the leg spurs

I just got my newsletter from them and I wet myself. I really need one of those kits

Hilarious....yes I think you do need one for sure.

They look great. I always liked the Broadcaster 'look', right down to the logo. It really stands out as a different kind of Gretsch.

There ain't nothin like the real thing baby, there ain't nothin like the real thing. If they sound as good as the original then I say go for it.
Too bad that they sprayed silver paint inside of the shells. I suppose that you could special order them with clear innards. like the early 50's 3 plies. Which are my personal favs.

Attachments

• 10276456_10201743976873425_10092901_n.jpg
    10276456_10201743976873425_10092901_n.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 7,114
Wow. I love the vintage build out on that sparkle nitron...same as opentune - right down to that older logo.
Can't wait to hear these!

Neal

Last edited:
So, it's basically a mega thin Brooklyn kit. I thought the previous Broadkasters had Jasper shells? Not sure how good these kits will sound; the Brooklyn kits really lose their definition in the mix with other instruments.

Gretsch needs to put more r&d into their shitty Gibraltar hardware. Let's see a more resonant friendly, less bulky tom suspension system for one.

They overdid the yellowing of the replicated aged WMP wrap.
Gretsch should offer them with optional calfskin BroadKaster heads too.

RobertM, the original 3 plies were made in house by Gretsch.
The original 3 ply shells are fairly thick.

I'd like to see them offered in die-cast hoops as well. I have 302 hoops on my 50's 3ply Gretsch drums and they're pretty nice. They're a beefed up Stickchopper.

I also would have liked to see the 3ply Maple/Gum/Maple instead of the Maple/Polar/Maple. I know I would not be able to tell the difference - it's just a sentimental thing I have with M/G/M 3ply.

These new Broadkasters look good.

Gary

Les - Poplar is a different wood species. American Gumwood is Liquidambar styraciflua. Poplar is Populus species lighter in colour than American Gumwood. Poplar is fast growning with a straight grain - often used for inner ply - it's also cheaper than Birch.

Secret: Poplar 'is' gum wood.

Bob now you have to try and get the proper bass drum head for the era.

It would be very difficult for most of us to tell the difference in most drum wood. If you were to take Maple or Birch....for example....and build two drums identical....same plys, same size, same bearing edges and all the same hardware and finish and tuning...I would bet that noneof us would not be able to tell the difference in a blind test....
Most of the sound comes from the hardware, edges n' heads and tuning and shell thickness. The amount of hardware and the finish affects the drum also of course.

but useful for lowering the fundamental.

Gretsch needs to put more r&d into their shitty Gibraltar hardware. Let's see a more resonant friendly, less bulky tom suspension system for one.

Resonant friendly? To me that means off the bass and either hanging off a cymbal stand (which I don't like) or on it's own stand.

Give that bass shell a chance and remove the mounts and the drum!

Give that bass shell a chance and remove the mounts and the drum!

I agree.

I ordered my Custom USA Gretsch shellpack to include no tom mount or cymbal mounts on the bass drum as you can see here. I'm very happy I did that. Part of the reason though is that an 18" bd with any type of tom holder and/or cymbal mounts looks too bulky......that's just my preferrence.

Gary

Attachments

• P1040433 (Custom).JPG
    P1040433 (Custom).JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 5,239
They overdid the yellowing of the replicated aged WMP wrap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gretsch-Bro...=Vintgae_Drums_Percussion&hash=item43c5f985a1

might be a better representation of the wrap. (i'm assuming it's the same). still pretty yellowed, but a little less obnoxious. looks really enhanced on the gretsch website though. i really like that version of the logo.

I agree.

I ordered my Custom USA Gretsch shellpack to include no tom mount or cymbal mounts on the bass drum as you can see here. I'm very happy I did that. Part of the reason though is that an 18" bd with any type of tom holder and/or cymbal mounts looks too bulky......that's just my preferrence.

Gary

You gotta lose those cymbal stands and get some flat-based stuff. Well, replace all your hardware with the flat-based stuff and you'll be nostalgia heaven ;)

Back