The matching snare

I've never had a matching snare. I've thought about ordering a Red Sparkle but I would probably never use it.

I had one of those. Our drum corps used to practice on the field twice a week. It was one of those old type of snare drums that you had to strap on to one leg.
And of course the snare drum would move up and down as your leg moved up and down while you marched. It was a challenge to hit the moving drum exactly on the beat.

Yes, I have played several marching snare drums.

Oh wait. You meant matching snare drums……………………… never mind.

My matching snares go with three Rogers mid 1960s sets. 5x14 Rogers Powertones in Wine Red Ripple Steel Gray Ripple and Sparkling Blue. If matching snares were of this quality, more people would want them.

let's add another component to this question. With higher end kits, do people buy matching snares because they match, more often than not?

My kit came with a matching snare. I use it half of the time. If your drums are excellent, your snare should be also.

I had a matching snare with my 88 tour custom kit. I never liked it. I used my Rogers Dyna. all the time. So I sold the Yammy in the 90's. I regret it. I think I'd really like it today.

I'm a big fan of matching snares if they are of high quality. I have Ludwig maple snares in Natural maple and red sparkle that match kits, and I like those snares as much as a Supra, black beauty, or acrolite.

Also have an amber vistalite snare (6.5x14) that matches the Bonham reissue kit and it is one of my most favorite snares ever. My other matching snare is an 8x14 vintage marine pearl DW Classic, wonderfully warm & thumpy.

I always love an LM 402, but really like the look of a matching snare.

I don't think it really matters too much. For years I was playing my silver sparkle Ludwig kit with a gold sparkle Slingerland snare drum. I have since found a silver sparkle Slingerland snare that I like a LOT more than the gold sparkle one, so now my finishes match, but my brands still don't.

...really, I don't think anybody cares or notices besides us gear-noticing drummers!

My main snare is a Ludwig BB. Some day, I hope to obtain a matching kit.

That's a million dollar idea right there if they put it into production. Imagine the rush to own a full black beauty set.

Larry, I remember seeing a drum company that made drums out of brass shells in an old Modern Drummer magazine. They looked like Worldmax shells. Haven't seen anything else on them since.

I'd love to have a champagne sparkle kit, and a snare drum to match. It'd be my classy kit that I'd take to fancy gigs.

I've got three kits with matching snares, but I don't use them.

Then again, I don't play out, so I don't count - ha ha.

I also just got a Yamaha Gigmaker set (not recommended) ...

Did you detail in another thread what you don't like about them? If so, I missed it.
Low cost, entry level kit, so there's probably multiple things.
Especially if you've gotten used to upper tier stuff.

Did you detail in another thread what you don't like about them? If so, I missed it.
Low cost, entry level kit, so there's probably multiple things.
Especially if you've gotten used to upper tier stuff.

No, I didn't go into it anywhere else. They were the most choked drums I ever heard. Taking the gaskets off and lacquering the insides helped a lot. Now they need ISO mounts. The wrap is cheapo looking, as are the bass drum claws. My Sonor 20 x 12 sounds bassier than this 20 x 16. A better quality sound. And look. Not crazy about the bass drum tone on the Gigmaker. Plus the badge says Gigmaker. Might as well say First Act lolo...The tom tones are OK now. But before I was like really?

That's a million dollar idea right there if they put it into production. Imagine the rush to own a full black beauty set.

Imagine the weight of that kit, eh? Remember when Carl Palmer had that kit made out of stainless steel? And then the drum riser collapsed before a show! I thought my Copeland 5x14 COB snare was heavy! Imagine an 18x22 bass drum!

Imagine the weight of that kit, eh? Remember when Carl Palmer had that kit made out of stainless steel? And then the drum riser collapsed before a show! I thought my Copeland 5x14 COB snare was heavy! Imagine an 18x22 bass drum!

Actually,his bass drum for that kit was 28x22 and the whole kit weighed over two and a half tons.Yes tons.The drums were 1/4 " thick stainless steel,,and the snare was a Ludwig supersensitive 6.5x14,and the only part of the kit that was made by a drum company except the snare,were the rims made by Gretsch.Ringo now owns that kit.

Steve B

Actually,his bass drum for that kit was 28x22 and the whole kit weighed over two and a half tons.Yes tons.The drums were 1/4 " thick stainless steel,,and the snare was a Ludwig supersensitive 6.5x14,and the only part of the kit that was made by a drum company except the snare,were the rims made by Gretsch.Ringo now owns that kit.

Steve B
Two and a half tons?? Wow. That's incredible.

The Paiste kit that was built for Danny Carey is insanely heavy. The bass drums each weigh 90 lbs.

I have matching snares for all four of my kits. I learned my lesson when I tried to sell a DW Jazz series Bop kit that I purchased with out a snare. I had at least ten of the first twelve potential buyers ask if I had the matching snare. Do I use the matching snares with the kits ? I do on occasion, though generally I use the snare that sounds best in the particular room I am playing in.

Steve B

And as Carl Palmer said in their pseudo-documentary video (I forget the title), "And Ringo, you're welcome to them!"

Back